Viewer Comments: Chalazion(Lump in Eyelid) - Pain

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid):

Chalazion(Lump in Eyelid) - Pain

Did your chalazion cause any pain?

Comment from: Working gal in MA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had it on inside lower lid, a nurse at my work said it was most likely a Chalazion, I thought it was a sty. I did have pain the first week and it blew up to a noticeable lump with a white puss looking dot in the middle. It has gone way down with a small white dot and is not really painful anymore. This is the end of week 2. Because I didn't look into what this was right away I have not been using the warm towel treatment, will start tonight. I thought my contact and makeup was prolonging the healing.

Comment from: NoMore, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have had what I thought to be recurring sty's in my right eye that have been treated with antibiotic drops and oral antibiotics only to keep coming back for the last couple of years. Saw an ophthalmologist and was told it was a chalazion and needed to be surgically removed. Had it done yesterday shots in eye were uncomfortable but tolerable. Having a bit of swelling and bruising today so stayed home from work. Hope it doesn't come back.

Comment from: dino, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 22

I have had a small lump on the upper eyelid near the eyelashes for about 6 weeks. No pain just occasional discomfort and feeling that vision is a bit blurred. Diagnosed today by GP as a chalazion. Since it has not got worse and may disappear itself advice to me is waiting and seeing if it becomes a problem operation under local anesthetic was suggested.

Comment from: MJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I've had two chalazions now in the past four months. I had one on the top right eyelid and one on the bottom left eyelid. They hurt a little in the first few days -- like little pin pricks. Then they got very swollen and looked ugly. I was diligent with hot wet wash cloths and was able to cancel the scheduled procedures to have them removed by the doctor. The hot wet soaks help them drain. I also used prescribed steroid drops and ointment. To prevent recurrence I now take 2000 mg fish oil per day and wash my eyelids with baby shampoo on a Q-tip.

Comment from: Wweddell, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 09

I have had chalazions over a good part of my life. I am 80 years old. With proper anesthetic the surgery should be and has been painless, with no scarring, and full recovery and relief within a day or two.

Comment from: Ivy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I just had a lower lid chalazion surgically removed after 14 days of extreme pain and swelling. I went to urgent care and they didn't know if it was a sty, shingles, or something else. My right side if my face was swollen and very painful not to mention very unsightly! I went to my ophthalmologist who thought it was an infected sty and treated me with antibiotics and eye cream. It helped, but now I have two whiteheads on it that won't seem to go away.

Comment from: mags, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 11

I had my chalazion removed it was not as painful as I had thought, and so far hasn't come back and that was five years ago.

Comment from: bhanu jyothi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I have two: one in my upper and one in my lower lids. I have undergone a surgery last week but when I went today doctor told that there was another chalazion in the lower lid and a stye in the upper lid. I got two steroid shots.

Comment from: Mamone, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I had cataract surgery 12 days ago. The bump on my eyelid was there immediately following the surgery. I suspect the eyelid got squeezed by the apparatus they put on the lid to hold it open. Three days after the surgery, the bump remained and became red and swollen. The pain was under the eyelid, and felt like an eyelash or foreign item was under the lid. It is causing pressure on the recent surgery beside the iris and is getting worse. Compresses only make it fell better for an hour or so. I saw the GP today who says it is now an infected chalazion. Today I am going back to the surgeon to have it removed.

Comment from: mimi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

Heck yes it hurt! I don't know who is the doctor who decided chalazions are not painful. Due to the fact that the "head" (if you will) of the chalazion is actually on the back side of your lid... so if the head is hardened, it feels like a particle of glass is in your eye, each time you blink! I had one 12 years ago, and the doctor removed it. When it healed (the incision had scabbed right down to the line where your lashes meet) when the scab came off, it took off about 1/4 inch section of eyelashes, and eyelashes never grew back. Good luck to anyone with these nasty things!

Must Read Articles Related to Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid)

Sty (Stye)
Sty A stye (sty) is an infection of the eyelid, resulting from a blocked oil gland. Seborrhea, improper eye makeup removal, use of infected cosmetics, poor eyelid h...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid):

Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Treatment

What was the treatment for your chalazion?

Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your chalazion?

Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Home Remedies

What were the effective home remedies for your chalazion (lump in eyelid)?