Viewer Comments: Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Pain

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid):

Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Pain

Did your chalazion cause any pain?

Comment from: inner stye, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I've had a stye in the inner, lower eyelid for two weeks now. We bought OTC stye ointment but it hasn't helped. Two chalazions are next to each other in their own pockets. It is very painful, hard and presses on my eyeball causing headaches and feelings of sharp glass and blurred vision. I am going to the eye doctor tomorrow and hopefully get it removed. Will post again after appointment.

Comment from: soar eye, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I had a large lump on the outside of my eye lower lid and it was treated with oral antibiotics and cream and drops. I had it surgically removed only to have it return within 5 days. It was removed again and 4 days later both eyes had. The new eye chalazion has the whole under eye blocked and very sore. I saw the ophthalmologist again so I am on more antibiotics and both eyes will have surgery. I must stay on treatment for 6 weeks and also he told me to take flax seed every day. The new chalazion is very painful and keeps bursting. I am having warm water washes and doing everything, but not having much luck.

Comment from: Working gal in MA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I had it on inside lower lid, a nurse at my work said it was most likely a Chalazion, I thought it was a sty. I did have pain the first week and it blew up to a noticeable lump with a white puss looking dot in the middle. It has gone way down with a small white dot and is not really painful anymore. This is the end of week 2. Because I didn't look into what this was right away I have not been using the warm towel treatment, will start tonight. I thought my contact and makeup was prolonging the healing.

Comment from: NoMore, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 05

I have had what I thought to be recurring sty's in my right eye that have been treated with antibiotic drops and oral antibiotics only to keep coming back for the last couple of years. Saw an ophthalmologist and was told it was a chalazion and needed to be surgically removed. Had it done yesterday shots in eye were uncomfortable but tolerable. Having a bit of swelling and bruising today so stayed home from work. Hope it doesn't come back.

Comment from: dino, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 22

I have had a small lump on the upper eyelid near the eyelashes for about 6 weeks. No pain just occasional discomfort and feeling that vision is a bit blurred. Diagnosed today by GP as a chalazion. Since it has not got worse and may disappear itself advice to me is waiting and seeing if it becomes a problem operation under local anesthetic was suggested.

Comment from: MJ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 04

I've had two chalazions now in the past four months. I had one on the top right eyelid and one on the bottom left eyelid. They hurt a little in the first few days -- like little pin pricks. Then they got very swollen and looked ugly. I was diligent with hot wet wash cloths and was able to cancel the scheduled procedures to have them removed by the doctor. The hot wet soaks help them drain. I also used prescribed steroid drops and ointment. To prevent recurrence I now take 2000 mg fish oil per day and wash my eyelids with baby shampoo on a Q-tip.

Comment from: Wweddell, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: November 09

I have had chalazions over a good part of my life. I am 80 years old. With proper anesthetic the surgery should be and has been painless, with no scarring, and full recovery and relief within a day or two.

Comment from: Ivy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I just had a lower lid chalazion surgically removed after 14 days of extreme pain and swelling. I went to urgent care and they didn't know if it was a sty, shingles, or something else. My right side if my face was swollen and very painful not to mention very unsightly! I went to my ophthalmologist who thought it was an infected sty and treated me with antibiotics and eye cream. It helped, but now I have two whiteheads on it that won't seem to go away.

Comment from: mags, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 11

I had my chalazion removed it was not as painful as I had thought, and so far hasn't come back and that was five years ago.

Must Read Articles Related to Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid)

Eye Pain
Eye Pain Eye pain has many causes, signs, symptoms, and treatments. It's also described as pain behind the eye, eye socket pain, or shooting pain in the eye. learn more >>
Sty (Stye)
Sty A stye (sty) is an infection of the eyelid, resulting from a blocked oil gland. Seborrhea, improper eye makeup removal, use of infected cosmetics, poor eyelid h...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid):

Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Symptoms and Signs

What were the symptoms and signs of your chalazion?

Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Home Remedies

Do you know of any effective home remedies for chalazia?

Chalazion (Lump in Eyelid) - Treatment

What was the treatment for your chalazion?