Viewer Comments: Chemical Burns - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chemical Burns:

Chemical Burns - Experience

What type of chemical burn did you experience?

Comment from: Wayne, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I got oven cleaner on my hands. It's been four months and the back of my hands are very chapped and peeling. No over the counter topical creams or sauces seem to improve the condition.

Comment from: Dummy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

It was Mineral Spirits that spilled on the leg and was rinsed off at work. Because of a recent promotion I was hesitant to say anything for fear of causing any problems and so I left it alone. Several days passed and it continued to get worse until the skin began to crack and split apart. The waiting and not treating it promptly meant that the exposure time was lengthy. I still had to be treated but I was still hesitant because I did not want anyone to find out that it happened at work. So I waited still to my dismay. Now I have lengthy treatments to necrotic skin that I somehow have to figure out without missing work.

Comment from: Tolar, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I got chemical burns on the bottoms of both my feet from being in our pool cleaning spots from the floor of the pool. We had added chemicals to balance the pool water just previously. After 6 months I have constant pain in the bottom of my toes and ball of feet.

Comment from: kasey70, 55-64 Female Published: September 14

I used a cream hair remover on my jaw line and upper lip. Now I have a horrible itchy rash.

Comment from: Aleigh, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I have been the dishwasher at work for the last 2 days. The sanitizer used in the dishwasher burned my right hand. The palm of my hand is hot in skin temperature and my hand is all red. My fingers have become swollen and tender and my hand feels extremely dry and leathery.

Comment from: cathy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

Plant area fertilizer was the cause of my chemical burn.

Comment from: dolly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I was cleaning the perimeter of a trailer roof with mineral spirits using thick napkin-like cloths. Each time I finished with one, I stuck it in my shorts pocket because I didn't have a rubbish bag on me. The result was a burn on my skin where the pocket sits.

Comment from: Acs, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I got a chemical burn on my fingers when I was using a deck cleaner.

Comment from: j1207, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 04

I experienced a chemical reaction from acrylic and non latex gloves that have acrylic in them. My fingers were inflamed and extremely itchy and then a week later my skin started to peel and had open cuts and now are all red and cracked and they look like blood keeps coming to the surface of the skin.

Comment from: kahuna, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 01

I got a chemical burn when I used OTC acne products. They burned my skin and now I have bubbles on my face and neck. My skin is dry and it feels dead. It sort of itches and is peeling in places.

Comment from: feathers, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I got a chemical burn when I used acne treatment cream with benzoyl peroxide.

Comment from: gilligan, 55-64 Female Published: February 28

I got burned from a starter spray for a vehicle. I held the can between my thighs while I put the lid back on the carburetor and the spray soaked thru my jeans. I had a 15-minute ride home. It started burning the first 5 minutes. By the time I got home, I stripped, took a shower and applied some gel strictly for burns. This is my 3rd day out and it's still warm to the touch but not as angry red looking as most of the soreness has gone away.

Must Read Articles Related to Chemical Burns

Chemical Eye Burns
Chemical Eye Burns Chemical burns to the eye or eyelid make up roughly 10% of all eye injuries. Depending on the type of chemical and how long the eye was exposed to it, chemical ...learn more >>
Corneal Ulcer
Corneal Ulcer The cornea, which is the bulbous, transparent structure that encloses the pupil and iris of the eye, can sometimes develop sores called corneal ulcers. Often, a...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chemical Burns:

Chemical Burns - Patient Experience

Did you sustain a chemical burn? Please describe your experience.

Chemical Burns - Medical Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your chemical burns.