IN THIS ARTICLE
For people who have severe infections, an antiviral agent called acyclovir (Zovirax) has been shown to shorten the duration and severity of symptoms if given soon after the onset of the rash. Acyclovir may be given by mouth or by IV to help people at risk for severe infection.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/13/2014
Must Read Articles Related to Chickenpox
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chickenpox:
Chickenpox - Symptoms
What were the symptoms of your chickenpox?
Chickenpox - Causes
What caused your chickenpox?
Chickenpox - Experience
Please describe your experience with chickenpox.
Chickenpox - Prognosis
What is your chickenpox prognosis?
Chickenpox - Treatment
What was the treatment for your chickenpox?
- Fever and Baby: When to Call the Doctor
- 6 Vitamins and Minerals Kids Need
- How to Save Money on Health Care
- Symptoms of a Severe Allergic Reaction
- Breast Cancer Treatment Options
- Is Your Body Ready for Pregnancy?