Symptoms of chlamydia infection depend on gender.
Chlamydia Symptoms in Women
- No symptoms in a majority of cases
- Bleeding after sexual relations or between menstrual periods
- Lower abdominal pain and burning pain during urination
- Discharge from the vagina
Chlamydia Symptoms in Men
Like women, men who are infected may not show symptoms. Estimates of those with no symptoms range from 25% to 50% of infected men.
- Discharge from the penis
- Pain, burning during urination
- Inflammation or infection of a duct in the testicles, tenderness or pain in the testicles
When to Seek Medical Care for Chlamydia
Call your doctor if you experience any of the following:
- Abdominal pain
- Discharge from the penis or vagina
- Pain with urination
- Pain during intercourse
- Frequent urination
- Sexual contact with an infected person. Most often, a sexual partner is informed about a chlamydial infection, and this is the first indication of the presence of the disease. All partners of an infected person should be treated to prevent the spread of the infection back and forth.
When to go to the hospital
Chlamydial infections can develop into serious medical conditions if not treated.
- Women: Pelvic inflammatory disease is a serious medical condition, which occurs in a significant portion of untreated cases and can lead to sterility. Fever, abdominal pain, and vaginal discharge can be symptoms of this disease. Women with these symptoms need to go imeediately to a hospital's emergency department or urgent care facility for treatment.
- Men: Fever, discharge from the penis, and painful urination may signal an infection, which may involve inflammation of the testicles. Men with these symptoms need to go immediately to a hospital's emergency department or urgent care facility for treatment.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 6/2/2016
Must Read Articles Related to Chlamydia
Cervicitis is an infection of the lower genital tract (inflammation of the cervix). Cervicitis may be caused by STD's or injuries to the cervix. Cervicitis symp...learn more >>
Ectopic pregnancy is a condition in which a pregnancy develops outside of a woman's uterus. Causes of ectopic pregnancy include previous Fallopian tube infectio...learn more >>
Female Sexual Problems
Long considered a taboo subject, women's sexuality is now openly discussed and portrayed on television, in magazines, and on the internet. Symptoms of female se...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chlamydia: