Viewer Comments: Choking - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Choking:

Choking - Experience

What was your experience with choking?

Comment from: gamgam23, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have been choking on my own saliva where I am not able to breath and my whole body convulses in a sharp pain when I am trying to gasp for air. It happens almost every week.

Comment from: gail, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

My issue is not choking on food, but just simply choking on soup, water, and soda. I can be eating broth and it seems that it goes down wrong and causes me to not be able to get my breath or my speech. Sometimes scares me.

Comment from: Bobbiecinderee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I had a piece of chicken stuck in my throat! I was trying to cough it up and my pregnant daughter doesn't know the Heimlich maneuver. It was the scariest five minutes of my life trying to throw myself on a chair and on the edge if my kitchen countertop. I am so thankful I could dislodge the food without choking on some of my own vomit that made its way around the chicken caught in my windpipe!

Comment from: choking, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I was driving to work today and started choking. Fortunately, the traffic was heavy and we were stopped. I could not get any air in and started to feel like I was going to pass out. I took a small drink of water and a tiny bit of air passed and I was able to start coughing. Eventually I was able to breath but with a hoarse raspy noise with each breath. Now I find my tongue is very sore and I am hardly able to talk or swollow. My voice is hoarse, I have a headache and feel nauseous. My wrists are extremely painful due me holding the steering wheel a bit tight. I have had a few choking episodes lately but this was the worst, maybe because I was in the car sitting and couldn't try to thrust myself against a chair or something to push the air out. I was so scared and am worried about it happening again.

Comment from: luckyme, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 12

I guess, at one time or another, we all have "thought" we were choking. Let me tell you how far wrong you are, last night I took my pills, and before I could get a sip of water to my lips, I choked! I knew what was happening, but I was helpless, and of course I was alone, what a fright. I gagged, I tried to cough, I tried to spit them up, nothing worked. My air supply was cut off! Panicked that I was going to die, right there in the bathroom with nobody around, I tried to clear the air pipe with my finger, maybe, just maybe I got a little opening, but I was gasping for air, needing a lot more than I was getting. I tried to call 911, but I could not speak. I got a little water in my mouth, hoping to wash the pills up or down, I had to have some relief, just a little better. Still gasping I went to the yard, called 911 again, and asked what emergency room was near me. They wanted to send an ambulance, but I knew that I had to move quicker, I got in my car, and drove to the emergency, still choking, but some relief. When I entered the doors, the staff saw my condition, and moved quickly, first to clear the airway, and second to calm me down. For what seemed like a long time, all I could do was spit up a film, which they said was normal. Then I returned to normal. I was finally discharged, but I was not about to go back home, alone. I went to an all-night cafe, and drank hot tea till dawn. This was a first, and I hope a last, but I have learned that there are things you can do for yourself, so I am studying the methods. I was lucky. I really thought that I was too young to die. The luck was that the pill that "stuck" in my air pipe, melted. Had it been food, I would have made the paper, as to a mystery death of a 73 year old man.

Comment from: justanothermom, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 27

My son who has Down syndrome and autism was choking on a peach pit. He ate the entire peach. Tears were coming from his eyes and he couldn't seem to take a breath. I cleared the food from his mouth and back of his throat first;, then pounded on his back, between shoulder blades. He is very lucky to be alive. We live in a rural area, and it might be ten-fifteen minutes before an ambulance would get here.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I have GERD which has been progressing quickly and one of my most disturbing symptoms is choking. I choke on anything food, water or even just breathing sometimes. I have had a barium swallow and two endoscopies but several doctors cannot seem to find anything.

Comment from: Darlene, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I have had (2) Nisse Fundoplication's; first one I was done in error and I almost died; second one was done but it's quite snug and I almost choked the other night, with froth foaming, etc., It was the most terrifying experience of my life. This is a condition, due to a doctor error that I have to live with the rest of my life with no recourse. I am very afraid too, because I am unable to vomit any longer because of this procedure, and if I ever get stomach sick, flu, or anything else which makes me want to vomit, I have to go to E.R. immediately. I am so frustrated over all of this, and absolutely nothing I can do about it.

Must Read Articles Related to Choking

Swallowed Object
Swallowed Object A child or adult who accidentally swallows an object can be taken care of at home; however, in certain cases they will need to go to a doctor or emergency depar...learn more >>