Viewer Comments: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coping With the Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coping With the Symptoms

How do you cope with chronic fatigue syndrome?

Comment from: gcooper7, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 21

I feel for all of you who suffer from this problem. I definitely have CFS and it is daily and persistent. It got really bad last year when diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. I struggled and have overcome the Apnea by losing 30 lbs. At 5' 7" and weighing around 150 lbs, I thought for sure my energy level would also increase. It has not. I cannot work it is so bad and I do not know what to do. Good luck to all of you.

Comment from: FLlass, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I wish I could give anyone reading this encouragement, but like all of the rest of you I have the same problems. I was diagnosed with EBV 20 years ago due to stress and nerves. I was told I had CFS about 10 years ago and suffered with it on and off for that amount of time. Two years ago I spent 55 days away from home which included 2 hospital stays, laparoscopic surgery, and two rehab admissions to help me walk again. I have to use a cane when I go out, but not in my apartment, due to a balance problem and falling. Ever since then I have not had any energy, no incentive to clean my apartment, except straighten up and put things back where they belong. I have one of our church deacons and his wife coming over to do things that I just can't do anymore. Then another girl is going to come and clean my apartment. I have sworn them to secrecy as to what they find. I don't like to go to bed at night and have a hard time making myself get up in the morning. Sometimes it's 11:00 or12-1:00 before I can make myself get out of bed. I do find myself cat napping during this time. I sometimes forget to take my medications and all I want to do is sit in my recliner and read or watch the boob-tube. I quit driving about 3 years ago because I didn't trust my own driving. It bothers me that I can't do some of the things I did 6 months ago. I know that my age doesn't help any, but I see people older than myself that have more energy than I ever thought of having.

Comment from: Tom, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

Thank you for this very informative work about chronic fatigue sundrome. There was one thing I wished to clarify - at one point it is stated that for diagnosis, one must have a particular symptom OR cognitive dysfunction and in another it is stated that cognitive dysfunction is required. Therefore is the cognitive dysfunction an essential symptom for a diagnosis of CFS? I don't seem to have the dysfunction, however, I do have most of the other symptoms listed and my doctor is unable to make a diagnosis. I am 46 and have had symptoms for 20 years now. They seemed to start after I suffered from an intense episode of food poisoning while travelling overseas. They have been worsening steadily. About one day after exercise I have extreme fatigue, a strange muscular or connective tissue stiffness (not the almost pleasant kind one often gets after exercise), skin stiffness or hot spots (calves, soles of feet), mild headaches; sometimes I even break out in hives. Generally I sleep will but wake up very tired, and I suffer from localized psoriasis. I have tried antihistamines on a regular basis but did not notice any benefit. I sure would love to get my life back!

Comment from: choum123, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I've only had CFS for half a year. I've not been able to attend school in that time. My mom has it too. I've suffered from depression a lot in the past 6 months. I can't hang out with friends or go out like normal people. The way I usually cope with CFS is to tell myself every day, “I'm going to change my life and make it better.” I also try to make myself not to hate my life. Communication with people is important such as talking with your friends over phone or email. They will cheer you up a lot. Your family can help to. They can visit talk and if you're well enough. Good luck, everybody!

Comment from: AB, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

THE BEST and most comprehensive overview of CFS- thank you so much for this well written piece. I am a research junkie and I haven't found such a thorough explanation as of yet and I've been at it for months- Great job!

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

The doctors are still trying to figure out what is wrong with me. I have joint pain, achiness, headaches almost every day, sleeping problems and severe fatigue. Often times my appetite is off. One year ago I was told I was depressed, so I had to go to a counselor, and still have not improved. I am sixteen and do not want to deal with any of this. Dancing is my passion ever since I was three years old, this past week I decided I could not dance, because the pain is so bad. At first they said a reason for my joint pain was because of joint hypermobility. I was put into physical therapy, and I was not improving at all, so I was told to go back to the doctor. They are running blood and urine tests. Also, I am going to do a sleep study in about a week, maybe they will find something. I wake up feeling more tired than when I went to bed. It has been affecting me so much, I am not doing well in school. I cannot focus and cannot retain information. I have been in and out of the doctors' offices for the past few months. My symptoms sound like chronic fatigue. I have been taking over- the- counter medications for energy, sleeping, and pain. Nothing has been working.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Treatment

What was the treatment for your chronic fatigue syndrome?

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Causes

What were the causes of your chronic fatigue syndrome?