Viewer Comments: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coping With the Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coping With the Symptoms

How do you cope with chronic fatigue syndrome?

Comment from: catnap, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have been suffering from CFS for 8 years.It started after I was exposed to mold at the public rec center where I had been exercising 5 times a week. I got seriously ill from the mold, and it took me two years to find a doctor, a naturopath, to help me heal (ND's are licensed in our state). After clearing out the massive fungal infections, we have been working on strengthening my immnue system and restoring my liver to good health. I am now able to do part time work from home and mild exercise, although I have to be careful not to do too much or I will crash for days. I see progress every day now, which helps, as there were many years I was afraid I would never get better. I have gone from sleeping 23 hours a day to "only" 9-12, which is HUGE! I am not perfect yet, but haven't given up hope for achieving it.I would suggest being tested for mold (you'd be surprised how many houses,apartments, schools, offices and other buildings have moisture problems. The government is very behind on the dangers of mold in the U.S.) Digestive problems may also be an issue- I was malnourished for years because I was not able to eat or properly digest food (mine was caused by the mold, but there are other reasons). Once again, see an ND if you can. I saw a gastro, but he was horrible, so I am not a fan. There may be good ones that don't depend entirely on needless drugs and are able to see outside their box of knowledge. Also check for intestinal parasites- approx. 85% of Americans have parasites, and if you are sick you are likely not able to fight them off. Your best bet is to find someone who is not interested in merely drugging your symptoms, but who cares enough about you to find the KEY to your problems and help you through the struggle. It's not been easy for me by any means, but it has been worth it. Above all, do your best to stay positive. Watch, read, and listen only to positive things.That means forget the news, which has been spreading nothing but fear and terror for the past 8 years. Humor truly helps to heal, and meditation and prayer will also help you on your road to better health. Wellness CD's also help.And keep in touch with your friends and family- they love you and even though they may not entirely understand your illness, they care about you. Good luck to all.

Comment from: ME, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I was put on Gabapentin, for my bi-polar, it didn't help me. I ended up on Lamictal, Zoloft, Gabitril and Risperdal. The Zoloft is great and the Lamictal too. The Gabitril and Risperdal aren't for depression. I had gastric bypass and can't take extended release meds. My rheum. doctor recently put me on NUIVIGIL for energy and it is GREAT! I hope that this helps someone. I have CFS, fibro, osteoarthritis, myofacitis, loss of cartilage throughout my body, and at 41 I am not happy w/any of it.

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Treatment

What was the treatment for your chronic fatigue syndrome?

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Causes

What were the causes of your chronic fatigue syndrome?