Viewer Comments: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coping With the Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Coping With the Symptoms

How do you cope with chronic fatigue syndrome?

Comment from: Jeb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am a middle-aged man who has had CFS for 10 years. It took me a while to accept that I can't cure this; I can only manage it. I have done that but regularly fall victim to the push-and-crash cycle: I feel good, do too much, and then crash. It takes weeks to get back to "normal." I take meds for mood (Prozac), sleep (Ambien) and pain (Flexiril) but Concerta has made the biggest difference; it regulates my energy level, helps me focus, and stabilizes my cognitive functions. I am able to be productive during the day (though I am still very tired at night). I hope this helps someone.

Comment from: Erika, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

Hi! My name is Erika and I have suffered with CFS for 3 years now. I have prayed and searched for anything that would help me. Mostly natural products. My doctor wanted to send me to see a psychiatrist. I've tried so many different supplements and nothing has really made a difference, but a few weeks ago. I found ADRENASmart (Lorna Vanderhaeghe). I thank God for this product! On April 4th I stared taking ADRENAsmart and 1week later I could feel a change in energy, calmness and better sleep and I felt alive again! You can expect to feel very tired and strange for a few days at first but don't give up. So- all the best to my fellow sufferers.

Comment from: RRo5013, 55-64 Male Published: July 08

Check on general anesthesia me and one of my girls have all those problems put together. After we had general anesthesia, I had problems for 30 plus years and my girl for four years. I can't say much because I can't type much, but to me the body has kept the drug in the blood stream including the muscles and brain that is why we can't do much. You can't even drink a beer. You feel like your dying. Check on these.

Comment from: jpmaars, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had CFS for many years and was getting worse every year. Just this August, I thought I would not be able to work again. My physiotherapist gave me a magazine with an article about Serrapeptase in it. Since I didn't have anything to lose, I've tried it and now I'm almost as good as new after 4weeks. Totally amazing! Please, please try this natural remedy made from enzymes from silkworm cocoons. I know it probably won't cure everyone, but it works for me. I cannot stress enough the joy of getting my life back again.

Comment from: happy2bmom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have been dxd with CFS for over a year, but have had it for much longer than that. I am a 29 yo Mother of 2 boys, I am also a full time nursing student. That, most people say, can cause CFS. I take methlyfenidate ER once daily in the am and it lasts about 8 hours. I do, however, work at 5am so that wears off about 1pm for me. Besides using the drug to help me with energy, I have found that a diet rich in fruits and veggies really helps me to feel good. Getting out for a good walk to help me sleep good at night is also a great help. The WORST thing that I can do is sit around and think about how I really feel. If I do start feeling this way, I try to get up and go for a walk or play with my kids. Hope this helps. :o)

Comment from: Abbegirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am so frustrated and so angry! I have been suffering with this for almost 4 years now. I have gone to several doctors, only to be told the same thing, "It's depression!" I know my body and I know my mind, and this is NOT depression! When it feels like someone has pulled the plug from my body and every ounce of energy is being drained, and I don't have the energy to even sit up. That is not depression! I admit I am probably somewhat depressed because this goes on daily, and anyone would be depressed if they don't have the energy to enjoy their life anymore. I am at a loss here!

Comment from: Tony, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I was diagnosed with CFS a few months ago after suffering for quite some time. I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I take different medications for all of this, but nothing seems to have a long lasting effect. I take gabapentin and not sure if it is really helping me at all and was wondering if anyone has ever taken this and did it help. Right now I am on short term disability because I could not do my job effectively. I am finding that a lot of people don't seem to understand what these conditions are and look at you as you are lazy. I was also wondering if anyone has ever experienced numbness, because I have it in my left leg above the knee. As you might be able to tell that I am having a very hard time right now dealing with all this pain and tiredness and was put on anti-depressants. I just hope that this gets better in time but my doctor feels that it will not because of the length of time this has been going on. Can anyone offer any information about the drug I am taking and if has worked for them. Thank you all ahead of time for allowing me to go on.

Related Reading: gabapentin

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Experience

Please describe your experience with chronic fatigue syndrome.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Causes

What were the causes of your chronic fatigue syndrome?

Migraine Headache - Symptoms

What are your migraine headache symptoms?