Chronic Kidney Disease (cont.)
Chronic Kidney Disease Causes
Although chronic kidney disease sometimes results from primary diseases of the kidneys themselves, the major causes are
diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus cause a condition called
diabetic nephropathy, which is the leading cause of kidney disease in the United States.
- High blood pressure (hypertension), if not controlled, can damage the kidneys over time.
- Glomerulonephritis is the inflammation and damage of the filtration system of the kidneys,
which can cause kidney failure. Postinfectious conditions and
lupus are among the many causes of glomerulonephritis.
- Polycystic kidney disease is a hereditary cause of chronic kidney disease wherein both kidneys have multiple cysts.
- Use of analgesics such as
acetaminophen (Tylenol) and
ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) regularly over long durations of time can cause analgesic nephropathy, another cause of kidney disease. Certain other medications can also damage the kidneys.
- Clogging and hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis)
leading to the kidneys causes a condition called ischemic nephropathy, which
is another cause of progressive kidney damage.
- Obstruction of the flow of urine by
enlarged prostate, strictures (narrowings), or cancers may also cause kidney disease.
- Other causes of chronic kidney disease include
sickle cell disease,
heroin abuse, amyloidosis,
kidney infections, and certain cancers.
If one has any of the following conditions, they are at higher-than-normal risk of developing chronic kidney disease. One's kidney function may need to be monitored regularly.
- Diabetes mellitus type 1 or type 2
- High blood pressure
- Liver disease
- Sickle cell disease
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Vascular diseases such as arteritis,
vasculitis, or fibromuscular dysplasia
- Vesicoureteral reflux (a urinary
tract problem in which urine travels from the bladder the wrong way back toward the kidney)
- Require regular use of anti-inflammatory medications
- A family history of kidney disease
Pranay Kathuria, MD, FACP, FASN, FNKF
Must Read Articles Related to Chronic Kidney Disease
Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor diet and nutrition, cancers, bone marrow problems, and more. Symptoms of anem...learn more >>
Coronary Heart Disease
Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease, affects about 14 million men and women in the United States. Disease develops when a combinat...learn more >>
Edema, or the abnormal accumulation of fluid in tissues in the body can be caused by several factors. Treatment of edema depends on the cause of the edema.learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease: