Viewer Comments: Chronic Kidney Disease - Patient Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease:

Chronic Kidney Disease - Patient Experience

Please describe your experience with chronic kidney disease.

Comment from: ttim158, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 02

I have had chronic kidney failure since the age of 9. At 13, I had to have a fistula in my arm to be ready for dialysis. I am now 43 years old and the fistula is still going strong. At the age of 15, I started CAPD, which stands for Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis. Back then, it was only experimental. I was the first in east Tennessee to do this. Before I was able to live with the CAPD, I had to go through 20 operations before the catheter was able to work. The first catheter was too long and got lodged between my liver and rib cage. So they had to shorten the catheter. I still have nightmares about the catheter in my side. I also have experienced waking up during one of the operations to help with the CAPD. I still have those nightmares, too. My childhood was not normal due to the kidney failure and dialysis I had to go through. I missed a lot of school and failed two years of school. I was unable to go to school from 8th grade to my last semester of my senior year of high school. I did graduate and receive my diploma. I was the first one in my family. My older brother and sister dropped out before they graduated. I did not let my illness hold me back. In 1992, I rejected my kidney because I quit taking my rejection medicine. It tasted awful. Back then, all there was was an anti-rejection med, Cyclosporin, in liquid form. If anyone has ever taken this drug then you know what I am talking about. I have had this kidney since 1993, and it is doing great. The only problem is I have been having trouble with my LDH level going up and down. My creatine is starting to rise, but it has been between 1.8 -2.07 for the past five years now. At least it is stable and no dialysis so far. I thank God for all the doctors that have seen me and treated me over the years.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I am 47, a wife, a mother and a Grandmother. I have Glomerulonephritis. End Stage Renal Disease. I started dialysis in 2000, received a cadaver transplant in 2002. The kidney rejected in Dec.2008, due to not taking the antirejection medications. Medicare will give you assistance for prescriptions for 3 years after your transplant, after that you are on your own. The one pill I needed was 800.00 a month and I could not afford it, over time the kidney started to reject and I have now returned to dialysis. I have been extremely sick and have lost a lot of my hair and weight. This time around it is very rough on my body. I again have no insurance and have to wait to get back on the list. The government has to do something for us that have no coverage. Make your voice be heard.

Comment from: AKlonic, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I have been diagnosed with CKD3, hyperparathyroidism, hypothyroidism, Vitamin D and B12 deficiencies anemia. I also have low white cell counts, low blood pressure, a low heart rate and depression. All of this is frustrating. I currently have a staph infection, folliculitis, muscle cramping, bone pain, and a magnesium deficiency. My calcium is too high. I'm constipated frequently. I am not diabetic. I'm frequently tired and fall asleep sitting up. I eat healthy, walk daily, and when I have the energy, I run. I have such strange symptoms and don't understand why.

Comment from: virginia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have recently been diagnosed with CKD. I am fatigued a lot, but I also have RA, so I thought that was the reason. I am scheduled for a sonogram of my kidneys this next week.

Comment from: Katie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 15

Three months ago, I was diagnosed with State 3 chronic kidney disease and prescribed a diuretic. At the same time, my cardiologist wanted my cholesterol totals down and suggested the Forks Over Knives diet (a vegan diet), which I immediately started. Today I saw the nephrologist. My kidney function had returned to normal. I also saw my cardiologist, and my cholesterol was down 60 points. The only other variable was reduction of stress as I gave up my caregiver stress to another family member, also three months ago. Vegan is not so bad and it's easy to remember not to eat anything that had a head or it's products. I sure do miss my favorite Greek yogurt, but that's all.

Comment from: Honey, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have CKD, with 10% of my kidneys working. I seem to get very dizzy and have a bad back. I'm often tired and have lost about 10 kilos of weight. I do still have my appetite, but it comes and goes.

Comment from: worried mum, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 01

My son has just today been told he will most likely need to start dialysis next year as his kidneys are now only functioning at 19%.

Must Read Articles Related to Chronic Kidney Disease

Anemia Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor diet and nutrition, cancers, bone marrow problems, and more. Symptoms of anem...learn more >>
Heart Disease
Coronary Heart Disease Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease, affects about 14 million men and women in the United States. Disease develops when a combinat...learn more >>
Edema Edema, or the abnormal accumulation of fluid in tissues in the body can be caused by several factors. Treatment of edema depends on the cause of the edema.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease:

Chronic Kidney Disease - Treatment

What was the treatment for your chronic kidney disease?

Chronic Kidney Disease - Prognosis

What is your chronic kidney disease prognosis?

Chronic Kidney Disease - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your chronic kidney disease?