Viewer Comments: Chronic Kidney Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease:

Chronic Kidney Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with chronic kidney disease.

...
Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I am 47, a wife, a mother and a Grandmother. I have Glomerulonephritis. End Stage Renal Disease. I started dialysis in 2000, received a cadaver transplant in 2002. The kidney rejected in Dec.2008, due to not taking the antirejection medications. Medicare will give you assistance for prescriptions for 3 years after your transplant, after that you are on your own. The one pill I needed was 800.00 a month and I could not afford it, over time the kidney started to reject and I have now returned to dialysis. I have been extremely sick and have lost a lot of my hair and weight. This time around it is very rough on my body. I again have no insurance and have to wait to get back on the list. The government has to do something for us that have no coverage. Make your voice be heard.

Comment from: virginia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have recently been diagnosed with CKD. I am fatigued a lot, but I also have RA, so I thought that was the reason. I am scheduled for a sonogram of my kidneys this next week.

Comment from: Katie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 15

Three months ago, I was diagnosed with State 3 chronic kidney disease and prescribed a diuretic. At the same time, my cardiologist wanted my cholesterol totals down and suggested the Forks Over Knives diet (a vegan diet), which I immediately started. Today I saw the nephrologist. My kidney function had returned to normal. I also saw my cardiologist, and my cholesterol was down 60 points. The only other variable was reduction of stress as I gave up my caregiver stress to another family member, also three months ago. Vegan is not so bad and it's easy to remember not to eat anything that had a head or it's products. I sure do miss my favorite Greek yogurt, but that's all.

Comment from: Honey, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I have CKD, with 10% of my kidneys working. I seem to get very dizzy and have a bad back. I'm often tired and have lost about 10 kilos of weight. I do still have my appetite, but it comes and goes.

Comment from: worried mum, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 01

My son has just today been told he will most likely need to start dialysis next year as his kidneys are now only functioning at 19%.

Comment from: debra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I have had renal failure for over six years. I have been on dialysis for five years. I have found that a good diet tailored to my specific needs along with moderate exercise makes a big difference in the way I feel. Kidney disorder is not a death sentence. There is hope. Each day more advanced research is being done. Perhaps someday there will no longer be a need for kidney transplants.

Comment from: Needtoknow, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have what has been termed "Kidney Disease". I regularly go for an injection of Aranesp every two weeks. On the third week I have a blood test to see how I am doing. Sometimes I do not need the shot that week, but most of the time I do. I am 76 years of age, but have always been in good health, have had 7 children, and do not have a history of kidney disease in my family. My question is about the quality of life. I look forward to having a cocktail before dinner, as I have done for my entire adult life. (Remember those 7 children?) Am now being told this could endanger my life.

Comment from: Mike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I have chronic kidney disease. I have rejected dialysis in any form choosing instead to focus on radically changing my diet and doing exercise on a daily basis. I feel fine. I have almost no effects from kidney function decline.

Comment from: linlin62, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I am in stage three of CKD. I first started having problems 40 years ago at the age of nine and I have been attending renal outpatient facilities for 38 years. In recent years, I have had to start on blood pressed and cholesterol medication. My only other problem is anemia, which I never had until 2009. I don't know what the future hold, but for now, I take everything as it comes.

Comment from: Anon from CA, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I have stage IV Kidney Disease brought on by a virus while traveling. It is in the "severe" stage. I have not met with a dietician, and need to know where to get recipe's to make meals I can eat. I have trouble with digesting lately and I crave water 24 hours a day.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Chronic Kidney Disease

Anemia
Anemia Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor diet and nutrition, cancers, bone marrow problems, and more. Symptoms of anem...learn more >>
Heart Disease
Coronary Heart Disease Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease, affects about 14 million men and women in the United States. Disease develops when a combinat...learn more >>
Edema
Edema Edema, or the abnormal accumulation of fluid in tissues in the body can be caused by several factors. Treatment of edema depends on the cause of the edema.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease:

Chronic Kidney Disease - Treatment

What was the treatment for your chronic kidney disease?

Chronic Kidney Disease - Prognosis

What is your chronic kidney disease prognosis?

Chronic Kidney Disease - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your chronic kidney disease?