Viewer Comments: Chronic Kidney Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease:

Chronic Kidney Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with chronic kidney disease.

Comment from: kilgore70, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 40 years old and am a type 1 diabetic. One year ago, I was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney failure. I am on all the proper meds for high blood pressure and the like and suffer from very serious fatigue. I am enrolled in Denver Health CICP program for the uninsured. I find in very difficult to obtain health insurance due to these pre existing conditions and have found it difficult to find work due to these health issues.

Comment from: gayle jennings, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 09

I have been married for over 25 years. On our 1st yr. anniversary my husband found out he only had one kidney. After a year of dialysis one of his sisters donated one of her kidneys. Last year, he found out that this one is failing. He takes dialysis twice a week and almost follows a diet. He is waiting for a cadaver. I can tell you that it is imperative to follow the diet you're given and take your dialysis treatments regularly. My husband's stubbornness gets in the way and he sometimes doesn't do what he is supposed to do. I see what it is doing to him. I have tried to help him but it isn't doing any good. So please...for the rest of you stick with it! It is a hard road but it is worth it to stay healthy!

Comment from: Selena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I had no idea I had cronic kidney desease untill I insisted on a glucose tollerance test because I disagreeded with the lab work and since I had both diabetes and high blood pressure my DR then tested my kidneys I had 50% usage or function and it went down to 30% now its 59% I havent got a clue what Im doing and a friend just took herself off dialysis and died Im afraid but really working on my health losing weight diet and walk alot Have had numb hands and feet for years spelalist doesnt give me much information I feel positive about my situation because Im doing healthy things for myself

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 04

My partner was diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease on his 21st birthday. He is now 27 and during this time he has been on the transplant list and experianced both PD and now Home Hemodialysis. Im so proud of what he has achieved throughout the life changing experiance of dialysis his attitude and bravery astounds and inspire me everyday. I admire his inner strength to keep living and adapt the challenges to his lifestyle. Sure along the way there have been challenges, but he takes them with an air of grace. Even when times get tough he never gives up hope. Many people in our lives adore his strength and courage. When we met a year ago I had no knowledge of Kidney disease. At first their was alot of information to take in, but as time has gone by I too have adapted to the lifestyle. Im happy to go on this journey with him. He has helped me put alot of lifes aspects into perspective. At first he was afraid to fall in love as he didnt want to burden anyone else with the complications. But I wanted to prove to him that with or without his condition he deserves to be loved and live a fullfilled life. Why should he miss out on love? We are planning a life together which will include the regular things like buying a house, becoming married, having children and also a transplant or two, more dialysis and hospital visits. Never give up hope, always keep living, be possitive.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I just got lab results that showed I have Stage 3 chronic kidney disease. The doctor is concerned about my cholesterol levels. Personally, I am more concerned about my kidneys because chronic kidney disease can contribute to elevated cholesterol. I have had many of the symptoms of kidney disease for several years, but it wasn't until today that I actually realized what "your kidney function is a little off" really meant. Now several symptoms are making sense.

Comment from: verity, Male (Caregiver) Published: July 29

My husband has just been told by a doctor's receptionist that he has chronic kidney disease, which has frightened him. I feel that a doctor should have told him.

Comment from: Deanna1247, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I am a 62 year-old woman and in stage 4 of CKD. It is very scary. I am not on dialysis yet and my doctor doesn't say much about it, even though I'm in stage 4. But, I wanted to let people know that if you have no insurance at this time, the manufacturers of some of the medicines we need are helping. I just received a letter after applying for Cyclosporin and blood pressure meds. The letter said they would supply it for a year and then I could reapply. It takes some searching on the internet etc., but it saved me a horrific amount of money each month. Check each manufacturer of each of your drugs for applications. They do check your income status, but it's worth the try.

Comment from: grandma P, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I broke my leg and during recovery was attended by various nurses. A report on my progress contained information that I had CKD stage three, which was complete news to me. My doctor confirmed it was on my record, there was no treatment and not to worry. I am 88 years old; I take one tablet per day for underactive thyroid. What a strange world it is when medical information withheld is freely available to others.

Must Read Articles Related to Chronic Kidney Disease

Anemia
Anemia Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor diet and nutrition, cancers, bone marrow problems, and more. Symptoms of anem...learn more >>
Heart Disease
Coronary Heart Disease Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease, affects about 14 million men and women in the United States. Disease develops when a combinat...learn more >>
Edema
Edema Edema, or the abnormal accumulation of fluid in tissues in the body can be caused by several factors. Treatment of edema depends on the cause of the edema.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease:

Chronic Kidney Disease - Treatment

What was the treatment for your chronic kidney disease?

Chronic Kidney Disease - Prognosis

What is your chronic kidney disease prognosis?

Chronic Kidney Disease - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your chronic kidney disease?