Viewer Comments: Chronic Kidney Disease - Patient Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease:

Chronic Kidney Disease - Patient Experience

Please describe your experience with chronic kidney disease.

Comment from: debra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I have had renal failure for over six years. I have been on dialysis for five years. I have found that a good diet tailored to my specific needs along with moderate exercise makes a big difference in the way I feel. Kidney disorder is not a death sentence. There is hope. Each day more advanced research is being done. Perhaps someday there will no longer be a need for kidney transplants.

Comment from: Needtoknow, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 01

I have what has been termed "Kidney Disease". I regularly go for an injection of Aranesp every two weeks. On the third week I have a blood test to see how I am doing. Sometimes I do not need the shot that week, but most of the time I do. I am 76 years of age, but have always been in good health, have had 7 children, and do not have a history of kidney disease in my family. My question is about the quality of life. I look forward to having a cocktail before dinner, as I have done for my entire adult life. (Remember those 7 children?) Am now being told this could endanger my life.

Comment from: Mike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I have chronic kidney disease. I have rejected dialysis in any form choosing instead to focus on radically changing my diet and doing exercise on a daily basis. I feel fine. I have almost no effects from kidney function decline.

Comment from: linlin62, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I am in stage three of CKD. I first started having problems 40 years ago at the age of nine and I have been attending renal outpatient facilities for 38 years. In recent years, I have had to start on blood pressed and cholesterol medication. My only other problem is anemia, which I never had until 2009. I don't know what the future hold, but for now, I take everything as it comes.

Comment from: Anon from CA, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I have stage IV Kidney Disease brought on by a virus while traveling. It is in the "severe" stage. I have not met with a dietician, and need to know where to get recipe's to make meals I can eat. I have trouble with digesting lately and I crave water 24 hours a day.

Comment from: kilgore70, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 40 years old and am a type 1 diabetic. One year ago, I was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney failure. I am on all the proper meds for high blood pressure and the like and suffer from very serious fatigue. I am enrolled in Denver Health CICP program for the uninsured. I find in very difficult to obtain health insurance due to these pre existing conditions and have found it difficult to find work due to these health issues.

Comment from: gayle jennings, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 09

I have been married for over 25 years. On our 1st yr. anniversary my husband found out he only had one kidney. After a year of dialysis one of his sisters donated one of her kidneys. Last year, he found out that this one is failing. He takes dialysis twice a week and almost follows a diet. He is waiting for a cadaver. I can tell you that it is imperative to follow the diet you're given and take your dialysis treatments regularly. My husband's stubbornness gets in the way and he sometimes doesn't do what he is supposed to do. I see what it is doing to him. I have tried to help him but it isn't doing any good. So please...for the rest of you stick with it! It is a hard road but it is worth it to stay healthy!

Comment from: Selena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I had no idea I had cronic kidney desease untill I insisted on a glucose tollerance test because I disagreeded with the lab work and since I had both diabetes and high blood pressure my DR then tested my kidneys I had 50% usage or function and it went down to 30% now its 59% I havent got a clue what Im doing and a friend just took herself off dialysis and died Im afraid but really working on my health losing weight diet and walk alot Have had numb hands and feet for years spelalist doesnt give me much information I feel positive about my situation because Im doing healthy things for myself

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 04

My partner was diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Disease on his 21st birthday. He is now 27 and during this time he has been on the transplant list and experianced both PD and now Home Hemodialysis. Im so proud of what he has achieved throughout the life changing experiance of dialysis his attitude and bravery astounds and inspire me everyday. I admire his inner strength to keep living and adapt the challenges to his lifestyle. Sure along the way there have been challenges, but he takes them with an air of grace. Even when times get tough he never gives up hope. Many people in our lives adore his strength and courage. When we met a year ago I had no knowledge of Kidney disease. At first their was alot of information to take in, but as time has gone by I too have adapted to the lifestyle. Im happy to go on this journey with him. He has helped me put alot of lifes aspects into perspective. At first he was afraid to fall in love as he didnt want to burden anyone else with the complications. But I wanted to prove to him that with or without his condition he deserves to be loved and live a fullfilled life. Why should he miss out on love? We are planning a life together which will include the regular things like buying a house, becoming married, having children and also a transplant or two, more dialysis and hospital visits. Never give up hope, always keep living, be possitive.

Must Read Articles Related to Chronic Kidney Disease

Anemia Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor learn more >>
Heart Disease
Coronary Heart Disease Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease, affects about 14 million men and women in the United States. Disease develops when a combinat...learn more >>
Edema Edema, or the abnormal accumulation of fluid in tissues in the body can be caused by several factors. Treatment of edema depends on the cause of the edema.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease:

Chronic Kidney Disease - Treatment

What was the treatment for your chronic kidney disease?

Chronic Kidney Disease - Prognosis

What is your chronic kidney disease prognosis?

Chronic Kidney Disease - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your chronic kidney disease?