Viewer Comments: Chronic Kidney Disease - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease:

Chronic Kidney Disease - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with chronic kidney disease.

Comment from: patti, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I am 61 years of age and have had diabetes for 50 years. I started having protein in my urine about 12 years ago. Although I am currently doing okay, constantly worry about the future and having to go on some type of dialysis. My heart goes out to everyone currently enduring this situation. I am on an insulin pump and try very hard to keep my A1C around 6 to 6.5. I will be having a Dr. appointment soon with urine analysis soon and I am already getting scared.

Comment from: Liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I have just turned 60 and found out last week that I have CKD in stage 4. I never had high blood pressure but do now. Never had diabetes, but the glucose is too high. I am anemic, problems with potassium, phosphates, electrolytes and I'm just so tired. I have a headache most of the time, but they say don't take pain pills. I am a Minister and this has really thrown me. I am on a 48-hour urine with catheter right now, so I am bed bound. I just had 12 tubes of blood drawn. My family is not taking this well, so that makes it harder. I don't know where I go from the time the test comes back.

Comment from: Motherof4, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I'm so scared. One kidney was removed 4yrs. ago and I recently had five stones removed from remaining kidney. I am producing stones at an alarming rate. When I ask if I'm losing my kidney they are vague and say "You aren't there yet." I am now having weird pressure when I breathe. Did fasting help? I am 42, married, have 4 children, work and go to school full-time. Yes I'm tired. And scared.

Comment from: My B's Ramon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I am so sorry for all of you who have kidney problems. I have a brother who has this problem, too. He has had it for three years. It is so sad not being able to do anything to take his pain away. He has had three years of dialysis and it has changed him so much. It hurts to see him going through this. I put him in God's hands every day. Our youngest brother can give him a kidney, but our sick brother has now developed a liver disease. The doctor put him on a very difficult treatment and now all he wants to do is sleep. The doctor said this is the only way to kill the disease. If everything goes well, my brother can have the transplant. I admire all of you who are going through this. You are all brave and beautiful people. Take care of yourselves.

Comment from: Corrie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was diagnosed with kidney failure when I had 20% kidney function. Regular check-ups over the years until I had only 6% function left. Dialysis was strongly recommended and, after the insertion of an internal catheter which exited from my abdomen, I started with Peritoneal Dialysis with a machine to which I was attached for eight hours every night and which did five exchanges of two litres per exchange. I used this successfully for fifteen months. Then, after several infections which were cleared up with antibiotics, the internal catheter developed organisms which prevented the dialysis fluid from draining out of me. An operation to remove the PD catheter and the insertion of temporary lines in my shoulder. I have now been for approximately twelve hemo-dialysis treatments of four hours each, three times a week. I am now going to have another operation to have an internal PD catheter inserted and until that is working properly will still go for the hemo treatments. Once the PD is properly on track the temporary lines will be removed. I hope and pray that the PD will work and that I will not have to go back onto hemo. If that happens I will have to have a permanent fistula and that will then be for life, either three or maybe, if I react favorably, twice a week. I am chronically tired and breathless and nothing seems to help for that.

Comment from: fanta23, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 04

I just found out last month that I have chronic kidney disease. It's a new experience for me. I am from Sudan and my whole family still in Sudan. I am fighting this disease myself, and I am only 23 years old.

Comment from: tinymisu, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I am 18 years old and I have been suffering from chronic kidney disease since I was born. I was born with a pair of weak kidneys and one of them is smaller than the other. This disorder causes a series of other health problems for me. I am now in stage 4, and I feel as if I have grown weaker over time. I've been in and out of the hospital several times.

Comment from: hnb, 65-74 Male Published: December 14

blood tests indicate deteriation of kidneys - sore back and weak leg muscles

Must Read Articles Related to Chronic Kidney Disease

Anemia
Anemia Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor diet and nutrition, cancers, bone marrow problems, and more. Symptoms of anem...learn more >>
Heart Disease
Coronary Heart Disease Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease, affects about 14 million men and women in the United States. Disease develops when a combinat...learn more >>
Edema
Edema Edema, or the abnormal accumulation of fluid in tissues in the body can be caused by several factors. Treatment of edema depends on the cause of the edema.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease:

Chronic Kidney Disease - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your chronic kidney disease?

Chronic Kidney Disease - Treatment

What was the treatment for your chronic kidney disease?

Chronic Kidney Disease - Prognosis

What is your chronic kidney disease prognosis?