Viewer Comments: Chronic Kidney Disease - Patient Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease:

Chronic Kidney Disease - Patient Experience

Please describe your experience with chronic kidney disease.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I just got lab results that showed I have Stage 3 chronic kidney disease. The doctor is concerned about my cholesterol levels. Personally, I am more concerned about my kidneys because chronic kidney disease can contribute to elevated cholesterol. I have had many of the symptoms of kidney disease for several years, but it wasn't until today that I actually realized what "your kidney function is a little off" really meant. Now several symptoms are making sense.

Comment from: verity, Male (Caregiver) Published: July 29

My husband has just been told by a doctor's receptionist that he has chronic kidney disease, which has frightened him. I feel that a doctor should have told him.

Comment from: Deanna1247, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I am a 62 year-old woman and in stage 4 of CKD. It is very scary. I am not on dialysis yet and my doctor doesn't say much about it, even though I'm in stage 4. But, I wanted to let people know that if you have no insurance at this time, the manufacturers of some of the medicines we need are helping. I just received a letter after applying for Cyclosporin and blood pressure meds. The letter said they would supply it for a year and then I could reapply. It takes some searching on the internet etc., but it saved me a horrific amount of money each month. Check each manufacturer of each of your drugs for applications. They do check your income status, but it's worth the try.

Comment from: grandma P, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I broke my leg and during recovery was attended by various nurses. A report on my progress contained information that I had CKD stage three, which was complete news to me. My doctor confirmed it was on my record, there was no treatment and not to worry. I am 88 years old; I take one tablet per day for underactive thyroid. What a strange world it is when medical information withheld is freely available to others.

Comment from: patti, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

I am 61 years of age and have had diabetes for 50 years. I started having protein in my urine about 12 years ago. Although I am currently doing okay, constantly worry about the future and having to go on some type of dialysis. My heart goes out to everyone currently enduring this situation. I am on an insulin pump and try very hard to keep my A1C around 6 to 6.5. I will be having a Dr. appointment soon with urine analysis soon and I am already getting scared.

Comment from: Liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I have just turned 60 and found out last week that I have CKD in stage 4. I never had high blood pressure but do now. Never had diabetes, but the glucose is too high. I am anemic, problems with potassium, phosphates, electrolytes and I'm just so tired. I have a headache most of the time, but they say don't take pain pills. I am a Minister and this has really thrown me. I am on a 48-hour urine with catheter right now, so I am bed bound. I just had 12 tubes of blood drawn. My family is not taking this well, so that makes it harder. I don't know where I go from the time the test comes back.

Comment from: Motherof4, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I'm so scared. One kidney was removed 4yrs. ago and I recently had five stones removed from remaining kidney. I am producing stones at an alarming rate. When I ask if I'm losing my kidney they are vague and say "You aren't there yet." I am now having weird pressure when I breathe. Did fasting help? I am 42, married, have 4 children, work and go to school full-time. Yes I'm tired. And scared.

Comment from: My B's Ramon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 16

I am so sorry for all of you who have kidney problems. I have a brother who has this problem, too. He has had it for three years. It is so sad not being able to do anything to take his pain away. He has had three years of dialysis and it has changed him so much. It hurts to see him going through this. I put him in God's hands every day. Our youngest brother can give him a kidney, but our sick brother has now developed a liver disease. The doctor put him on a very difficult treatment and now all he wants to do is sleep. The doctor said this is the only way to kill the disease. If everything goes well, my brother can have the transplant. I admire all of you who are going through this. You are all brave and beautiful people. Take care of yourselves.

Comment from: Corrie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I was diagnosed with kidney failure when I had 20% kidney function. Regular check-ups over the years until I had only 6% function left. Dialysis was strongly recommended and, after the insertion of an internal catheter which exited from my abdomen, I started with Peritoneal Dialysis with a machine to which I was attached for eight hours every night and which did five exchanges of two litres per exchange. I used this successfully for fifteen months. Then, after several infections which were cleared up with antibiotics, the internal catheter developed organisms which prevented the dialysis fluid from draining out of me. An operation to remove the PD catheter and the insertion of temporary lines in my shoulder. I have now been for approximately twelve hemo-dialysis treatments of four hours each, three times a week. I am now going to have another operation to have an internal PD catheter inserted and until that is working properly will still go for the hemo treatments. Once the PD is properly on track the temporary lines will be removed. I hope and pray that the PD will work and that I will not have to go back onto hemo. If that happens I will have to have a permanent fistula and that will then be for life, either three or maybe, if I react favorably, twice a week. I am chronically tired and breathless and nothing seems to help for that.

Must Read Articles Related to Chronic Kidney Disease

Anemia Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor diet and nutrition, cancers, bone marrow problems, and more. Symptoms of anem...learn more >>
Heart Disease
Coronary Heart Disease Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease, affects about 14 million men and women in the United States. Disease develops when a combinat...learn more >>
Edema Edema, or the abnormal accumulation of fluid in tissues in the body can be caused by several factors. Treatment of edema depends on the cause of the edema.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease:

Chronic Kidney Disease - Treatment

What was the treatment for your chronic kidney disease?

Chronic Kidney Disease - Prognosis

What is your chronic kidney disease prognosis?

Chronic Kidney Disease - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your chronic kidney disease?