Viewer Comments: Chronic Kidney Disease - Patient Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease:

Chronic Kidney Disease - Patient Experience

Please describe your experience with chronic kidney disease.

...
Comment from: mz libbey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I am a grandma with diabetes mellitus and have had chronic kidney disease (CKD) for thirty years. At age 62 I am still in stage 3. I have CKD anemia now. I have pelvic renal wall urine retention. My left kidney is scarred and atrophied. It began as normal. I keep a good diet and hydrate with cleansing lemon water to prolong good function. I have been on lisinopril to preserve kidneys and control high blood pressure. You can go back and forth with glomerular filtration rate (GFR) and get better. I avoid Tylenol. Feeling exhausted; peripheral neuropathy pain, and back pain are so hard. It is hard to breathe sometimes. I walk with a cane.

Comment from: art, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 21

Here I am at age 83 and was just informed by my doctor that I have stage 3 chronic kidney disease. I had more blood work last week, so I'm waiting for the results. I am at a loss because I have never had any major illnesses. In my 83 years I have never been a patient in any hospital. I don't know what to expect and how long I can live with this.

Comment from: caregiver, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 21

My husband went on dialysis two years ago because of chronic kidney disease. We did not fully understand how important it was to take some of the medicines he was given. Phosphorus binders! By not taking them as he should, he developed a condition called calciphylaxis which resulted in a leg amputation. Please look this up and see what can happen if you do not take your binders. He is doing well now, but for one year he suffered.

Comment from: Steven CKD, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 19

In my experience with chronic kidney disease please choose and prepare foods with less salt and sodium. Buy fresh food more often. Sodium (a part of salt) is added to many packaged foods. Use spices, herbs, and sodium-free seasonings in place of salt. Check the nutrition facts label on food packages for sodium. A daily value of 20 percent or more means the food is high in sodium. Try lower-sodium versions of frozen dinners and other convenience foods. Rinse canned vegetables, beans, meats, and fish with water before eating.

Comment from: doretta A., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

I found out a year ago that I have chronic kidney disease. Obviously, I have had this for a lot longer, being in stage 3/4. I have also been HIV positive for 30 years, had hepatitis C (recently cured that), and I am very freaked out about my kidneys as there is no cure.

Comment from: arajeswari, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

My creatinine level is 2.11, and other parameters are within limits. I am under the care of a nephrologist for my chronic kidney disease. I am feeling acute body pain every day morning, and in addition pain in feet.

Comment from: GRANDMA NADINE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I was just told by a letter that I am in stage 3 kidney failure. I go see a doctor on the 8th of October. But in the meantime, not knowing how many stages there are I got on here. I am even more nervous now. My mother died from this and so did my aunt, her baby sister.

Comment from: abass a., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I have swollen stomach and legs because of chronic kidney disease. I haven't been able to urinate on my own. I do dialysis once every week.

Comment from: RWBIII, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

Hi, I am a diabetic, type one and have been since 1956 and of course I am insulin dependent. I have had of course a number of problems over the years. Have had laser surgery on my eyes for bleeding because of that but that was stopped. I have had angio and angioplasty and the last time I went in they told me that one had plugged up again. I will wait until I have a major heart attack before doing open heart surgery. About 2 years ago they told me my kidneys were starting to fail. They, the kidney doctors told me I would have to be put on dialysis. I was really felling very tired. My potassium level was up to a high of 6.9.S. I had the kidney doc put in a fistula and he told me after it was ready in a few months they would start me on the dialysis. At that point I asked the Dr if there was anything to do to reverse or make this go down. He said no. At that point I had stopped my day to day walks with my dogs. I started back up and started watching the foods high in potassium I ate. The potassium has dropped down to 5.6 and 5.7 and I have all my energy back and fell good and that has been just over a year.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Chronic Kidney Disease

Anemia
Anemia Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor diet and nutrition, cancers, bone marrow problems, and more. Symptoms of anem...learn more >>
Heart Disease
Coronary Heart Disease

Coronary heart disease is caused by plaque buildup in the artery that provides blood and oxygen to the heart muscle. The plaque can block enough blood goin...learn more >>

Edema
Edema Edema, or the abnormal accumulation of fluid in tissues in the body can be caused by several factors. Treatment of edema depends on the cause of the edema.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease:

Chronic Kidney Disease - Treatment

What was the treatment for your chronic kidney disease?

Chronic Kidney Disease - Prognosis

What is your chronic kidney disease prognosis?

Chronic Kidney Disease - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your chronic kidney disease?