Viewer Comments: Chronic Kidney Disease - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease:

Chronic Kidney Disease - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your chronic kidney disease?

Comment from: vanessa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I have swelling in my legs and abdomen. It looks like I'm nine months pregnant. I am not pregnant, but my kidneys hurt. I'm excessively tired.

Comment from: Patricia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I had no symptoms. I was diagnosed with kidney disease when I became pregnant. The doctor said many women loose protein in their urine while pregnant. I did not. Biopsy showed that my kidneys were damaged. My kidneys were so hard it was very hard to get a piece of my kidney but what they did get, there were two diagnoses: 1. I had kidney disease way before I was pregnant 2. I was born with kidney disease, since I was born prematurely and my mom was 42 years old. I was able to keep myself from dialysis with a low protein, low liquid intake, and a no potassium diet. This lasted for almost 10 years then dialysis came. I would not wish this on my worst enemy. Six months later I received a kidney, which I have had for 25 YEARS!

Comment from: britisher, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I experienced loss of appetite, nausea and shivering, especially at night. I also felt chilled most of the time. I also had a bladder infection and had trouble with control. This has now cleared up with antibiotics.

Comment from: Liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I was diagnosed with stage 3 CKD. I am tired all the time. I am sick to my stomach, and I have joint pain, headaches and a horrible metal taste in my mouth. I am awaiting a diagnosis of lupus to see if that is what is causing my kidney failure. It's hard waiting. My doctor says if I do have lupus they can treat that and it will stop my CKD.

Comment from: Pepe, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 21

With chronic kidney disease, I had unusually sudsy urine!

Comment from: aajelf, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 27

My little cousin is at the stage 5 of CKD. She is going for regular dialysis and doctors are suggesting a kidney transplant.

Comment from: habeeb, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

Swelling face, stomach and legs were my symptoms with CKD.

Comment from: Patty G, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed with ESRD in 2002. They found I had only one kidney and it was small and had just worn out. I tried to control with renal diet I was already Stage 4 when diagnosed. In December of that year I was put on dialysis overnight with a surgical implant of a catheter port the same day and dialysis the next morning in the hospital.

Comment from: miller, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I have CKD, stage III. I have only one kidney on the left side. The other kidney died about nine years ago due to a stone inside it. I'm tired all the time. I have trouble sleeping and I have leg pain. I'm also very thirsty and I have trouble remembering things.

Comment from: Victory, Published: October 17

I am a 47 year old woman who had stage 5 renal failure and I have just about dealt with every bad symptom that kidney disease has to offer.

Comment from: pieterick3, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 06

With my CKD, I had constant lower back pain on the right side.

Comment from: Dorothy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I had a kidney removed last August due to a tumor (cancer). I am in remission and was told it had not spread out of that kidney. I was in my 50's when I had to start taking blood pressure medicine. It has been controled and I have been taking exercise lessons for many years. I am not overweight and had no other medical problems. I am 79 now and still exercising. I have no symptoms I can feel but have been told I have stage 4 kidney disease.I have not been put on any medicine for this. I only take the blood pressure medicine and an iron pill (over the counter). I do not understand what I should do at this point.

Must Read Articles Related to Chronic Kidney Disease

Anemia
Anemia Anemia can be caused by many conditions and diseases such as iron deficiency, poor diet and nutrition, cancers, bone marrow problems, and more. Symptoms of anem...learn more >>
Heart Disease
Coronary Heart Disease Coronary heart disease (CHD), also called coronary artery disease, affects about 14 million men and women in the United States. Disease develops when a combinat...learn more >>
Edema
Edema Edema, or the abnormal accumulation of fluid in tissues in the body can be caused by several factors. Treatment of edema depends on the cause of the edema.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Kidney Disease:

Chronic Kidney Disease - Patient Experience

Please describe your experience with chronic kidney disease.

Chronic Kidney Disease - Treatment

What was the treatment for your chronic kidney disease?

Chronic Kidney Disease - Prognosis

What is your chronic kidney disease prognosis?