Viewer Comments: Chronic Pain - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chronic Pain:

Chronic Pain - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your chronic pain.

Comment from: Katie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I found this article very helpful. I have suffered chronic severe pain for a number of years. I was totally incapacitated by this until I was referred to the Pain Management Clinic at a fine medical center. The combination of medications tailored to my situation, radio frequency lesioning, staff support, physical therapy with a therapist that understands my situation and pool therapy in a warm pool have allowed me to return to a almost normal life. Of course I still have limitations, but I have been given an arsenal of strategies to treat my pain as it changes throughout the days and months of my life. I have been able to return to my life, and my career as a professional artist, and can now go shopping and walking and do most of the things, within limits, that were impossible before. It is vital for me to "work" the program set up for me. Best of all the joy has returned to my life.

Comment from: rose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I have a number of health problems. I have severe arthritis in my right leg and hip. I use a cane or walker most of the time. I'm on oxygen 24x7 for C.O.P.D., and I have been fighting with depression for 20 years. And I'm in so much pain at night that I'm up and down all night. My doctor put me on morphine 12 hour caps.

Comment from: functioningsenior, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

My chronic pain is severe. I have been going to pain clinics since approximately 2000 and have been taking Gabapentin for that time. Also, I have been given spinal injections about every six months. So far these procedures have worked. I am told that spinal injections tend to "not" work at some point. I hope not because Gabapentin has limitations, causing dizziness that does not go away at higher doses.

Comment from: gpfmaci, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

My Father is 82 years old and is suffering with chronic arthritis in his hip. He also has a defibrillator pacemaker which I believe prevents him from some of the treatments available. He has had many steroid shots and they have never helped. His doctor said he could not take NAIDS because of his heart. He has taken vicodin but he gets severely constipated. So, his quality of life is terrible. So if anybody knows of any treatment my Dad could use please let me know.

Comment from: Living Life, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 18

Everything in this article is true and please take it to heart!! It is quite simple; you control the pain or the pain will control you. My regret, not taking more pain medications. Every day I face a choice to be in bed or take the pain pills. I have support from my family and friends every day. They encourage me to take my pain meds because everyone else especially the doctors tell me not to. They are afraid for their license, cost of meds and who knows what else, but not concerned about patient well being. There is more ignorance among doctors in the chronic pain field than anywhere else. The information is there they just want to close their eyes to it!! They would rather have patients suffer in pain than do what is medically appropriate.

I have been on many medicines. The most effective for me was oxycontin. Methadone works well also, but duragesic made me too sick to tolerate even after being on it for 6 months. Dilaudid worked for a time but has a fast tolerance rate. Be careful with this or any strong opioid.

Comment from: sara, 45-54 Female Published: January 20

I have had chronic pain for the past 9yrs. I've taken Oxycocets then went to OxyContin 80gms. I have been on them for about 7 years. My doctor told me I would probably be on them rest of my life, but now my doctor got suspended in giving out narcotics.

Must Read Articles Related to Chronic Pain

Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia Fibromyalgia is an illness with no known cause. Symptoms include chronic pain, fatigue, fibrofog (mental haziness), insomnia, headaches, nervousness, numbness, ...learn more >>
Insomnia
Insomnia Insomnia affects most people at some point in their lifetime. Insomnia is actually a symptoms of a condition, disease, or situation. Non-medical treatment of in...learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some of the common causes include fractures, strains, sprains, bleeding, diseases such as gout, peripheral artery dis...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chronic Pain:

Chronic Pain - Management

What steps have you taken to manage your chronic pain?

Pain - Experience

Please describe your experience with pain.