Viewer Comments: Chronic Pain - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chronic Pain:

Chronic Pain - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your chronic pain.

Comment from: gpfmaci, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

My Father is 82 years old and is suffering with chronic arthritis in his hip. He also has a defibrillator pacemaker which I believe prevents him from some of the treatments available. He has had many steroid shots and they have never helped. His doctor said he could not take NAIDS because of his heart. He has taken vicodin but he gets severely constipated. So, his quality of life is terrible. So if anybody knows of any treatment my Dad could use please let me know.

Comment from: Living Life, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 18

Everything in this article is true and please take it to heart!! It is quite simple; you control the pain or the pain will control you. My regret, not taking more pain medications. Every day I face a choice to be in bed or take the pain pills. I have support from my family and friends every day. They encourage me to take my pain meds because everyone else especially the doctors tell me not to. They are afraid for their license, cost of meds and who knows what else, but not concerned about patient well being. There is more ignorance among doctors in the chronic pain field than anywhere else. The information is there they just want to close their eyes to it!! They would rather have patients suffer in pain than do what is medically appropriate.

I have been on many medicines. The most effective for me was oxycontin. Methadone works well also, but duragesic made me too sick to tolerate even after being on it for 6 months. Dilaudid worked for a time but has a fast tolerance rate. Be careful with this or any strong opioid.

Comment from: sara, 45-54 Female Published: January 20

I have had chronic pain for the past 9yrs. I've taken Oxycocets then went to OxyContin 80gms. I have been on them for about 7 years. My doctor told me I would probably be on them rest of my life, but now my doctor got suspended in giving out narcotics.

Must Read Articles Related to Chronic Pain

Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia Fibromyalgia is an illness with no known cause. Symptoms include chronic pain, fatigue, fibrofog (mental haziness), insomnia, headaches, nervousness, numbness, ...learn more >>
Insomnia
Insomnia Insomnia affects most people at some point in their lifetime. learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chronic Pain:

Chronic Pain - Management

What steps have you taken to manage your chronic pain?

Pain - Experience

Please describe your experience with pain.