Viewer Comments: Chronic Pain - Effective Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chronic Pain:

Chronic Pain - Effective Treatments

Please describe what treatments have been effective for your chronic pain.

Comment from: JCR, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I know how horrible chronic back pain can be. After a car accident, I had debilitating pain for seven years. I had been to various doctors and done physical therapy throughout that time period. Stretches worked when I was sore, but sometimes the pain was so intense that I could hardly get out of bed. I have even had to take days or weeks off of work due to the pain. I have been living in Barcelona for the past five years. It's here where I found a doctor who finally really listened to my symptoms and understood my problem. Other doctors had mentioned surgery, but my doctor didn't think that I would improve with surgery. Instead he offered me a less invasive treatment, cortisone injections in some joints of my spine called facet joints. His work was seriously life changing! I haven't felt so normal since before my back issues began. Even if you have to pay for a flight and a few nights of a hotel, it would be worth it to finally relieve the pain! Another major perk is that medical costs in Barcelona are exponentially less expensive than they are in the States, especially if you are under or uninsured, and many doctors, like mine, are fluent in English. I have been pain free for more than a year and I couldn't be more grateful.

Comment from: Kimberly, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have had chronic myofascial pain and neuropathic pain for six years. I took anti-seizure drugs to help with the pain in the nerves and had weekly trigger point injections for years. In addition, I was taking Tylenol 3s, and Celebrex to try to control the pain. Nothing has worked as well as Lyrica. Now, instead of 2,800 mg of Neurontin, I take 225 mg of Lyrica. I have dropped the Celebrex and take Tylenol 3s rarely! Lyrica has changed my life, and after six years, I am finally ready to get back to work and living!

Comment from: loise, (Patient) Published: May 09

I was suffering from chronic pain. I took many treatments and medicines, but no improvement was seen. Then somebody suggested to me to go to a pain management center for the chronic pain treatment. Professional and experienced doctors treated me in a calm way. I did not have to wait any more for the consultation with the doctor. The staff was very cooperative, experienced, and helpful. Now there is no pain.

Comment from: Mollymoo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I have burning tongue syndrome, a terrible disease where your tongue literally 'burns' all the time. It feels as though you've burnt your tongue but the pain never subsides. I have had this problem for approximately 10 plus years. It causes depression, anxiety, and weight gain as the pain feels better on a full stomach. I take hydrocodone twice daily, gabapentin 3 times a day, Protonix, Xanax for anxiety and Cymbalta for the depression. Regardless, I still have pain. It is a little known disease, with little known causes and treatments. Salty foods help along with frozen drinks. Good luck to anyone who has this terrible plight.

Comment from: Judy Brown, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I have been suffering for quite some time after my ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) re-construction surgery. Though I am able to walk now, the pain has not diminished. So I have started consulting pain management doctors. And it has helped me quite a lot. So I would suggest others as well not to take pain into consideration and move on.

Comment from: randyc305, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

I have several herniated discs and had surgery 25 years ago. I had been in auto, workplace accident and since then I was off work for 3 years. Nothing helped the pain, if anything worked it was Demerol, it put me to sleep. I started 80 mg Oxycontin 2 weeks later, the doctor got me back to work, and I worked 6 more years. Still 16 years later, I take five 80 mg, five 5 mg Roxicontin for breakthrough. I have 6 herniated discs, carpal tunnel, no cartilage in both shoulders, and arthritis. I want to fuse thumb, replace both shoulders, fix carpal tunnel, and hernia, and that would require 10 years of surgery and recovery. Oxycontin lets me have a life, I could not walk or do any daily activities.

Comment from: Jeanne, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 29

My husband has suffered from chronic pain for 20+ years. The location is referred to as the lower right quadrant. The pain comes and goes about every 3 hours and the morning pain is the worst. There has been no actual diagnosis and he now takes 30 mg of morphine twice a day but still cannot function normally when the pain occurs. I feel that it is not helping and must be increased. He must be away from people, remove outer clothing as if it is restrictive and either lies on the carpet or sits on the couch, leaning away from his right side. He cannot have conversation at this time and tries to read magazines to control his thoughts. Only time changes this pain and when it is gone, he is back to normal. The only time the pain went away in 20 years was when he was hospitalized for histoplasmosis. We have list available of doctors and pain clinics he has been to, medications that have been tried and procedures that were tried. He did have some improvement when he was taking oxycontin and clonozopam, but the doctors didn't want to continue with these drugs.

Must Read Articles Related to Chronic Pain

Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia Fibromyalgia is an illness with no known cause. Symptoms include chronic pain, fatigue, fibrofog (mental haziness), insomnia, headaches, nervousness, numbness, ...learn more >>
Insomnia
Insomnia Insomnia affects most people at some point in their lifetime. learn more >>
Leg Pain
Leg Pain There are a variety of causes of leg pain. Some ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Chronic Pain:

Chronic Pain - Management

What steps have you taken to manage your chronic pain?

Pain - Experience

Please describe your experience with pain.