Viewer Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cirrhosis:

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: eprn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I had no symptoms other than elevated enzymes. I was told I had fatty liver disease and I assumed it was a benign condition since there were no further tests at the time. I have an occasional glass of wine, but I had gained about 60 pounds over about 8 years. When my liver enzymes remained elevated over several years, I was sent for a liver biopsy and given the diagnosis of cirrhosis (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease). I'm a nurse, but I had never heard of it. Who knew my obesity could lead to killing my liver?

Comment from: lynn, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

Well, not much known about my symptoms of liver cirrhosis but when my mid-section hurts I don't drink much anymore, but when I get 1 beer or shot it quits hurting.

Comment from: Draciron, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

I have lost at least one friend and a relative to liver disease. When I was in my late 20s an insurance physical noticed an enlarged liver. Several follow ups over the next couple years as well as early symptoms of liver disease made it pretty clear my liver was going. It took 3 different doctors to tell me to quit drinking now or die before I got the message. I quit drinking and drastically reduced my use of OTC pain killers. That was 20 years ago. Part of my liver grew back, many of the symptoms went away or stayed away most of the time. I still eat the same way. A diet high in red meat. I've seen low fat and no red meat suggested in other posts. If that were true I'd have been dead 15 years ago. Main things are drinking, OTC painkillers and watching what medicines, if any, you take. If you have Irish heritage it'd be a good idea also to get your iron levels checked. Hemochromatosis (Irish disease) is sneaky and often targets the liver. I lost another uncle to that.

Comment from: okoemensah, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

My daddy has liver failure from drinking. It has cause his legs and stomach to swell and he also had a stroke.

Comment from: mugroom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I lost my husband 2 years ago due to cirrhosis of the liver. Last week, I was told I had cirrhosis of the liver plus plaques on my lung. I was never a drinker or smoker I don't know why I have this.

Comment from: Tired wife, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 19

My husband has fatty liver from hemochromatosis. The doctors kept asking us how much he drank and how often and we kept telling them he doesn't drink that much. I think the doctors didn't really believe us until they found his hemochromatosis. He has a lot of bruises everywhere. He itches like crazy to the point of causing scratches. He walks and talks like a drunk a lot of the time. He cannot sleep without his sleeping pills. His blood pressure has gone really high a couple of times. He is very tired most of the time and is unable to drive due to it causing him headaches. He has stomach pain, bowels don't work properly anymore; he has pale colored stools, diarrhea and constipation. Also he has gotten two blood clots in his shoulder. He was 37 when all the symptoms started and is 43 now. We are unable to find out if he only has fatty liver or if it has progressed to cirrhosis. He does not have swelling in his feet just his abdomen. He looks yellowish at times and the whites of his eyes are sort of yellow sometimes.

Comment from: mona, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

I was told last week, that I have cirrhosis of the liver. My symptoms were only elevated liver enzymes. I drink beer about two per month and my doctor has told me that the beer is not the cause of the cirrhosis.

Comment from: Living Alone, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 05

My husband died a few months ago of end stage hepatic cirrhosis. He was 49 years old. He was a beer drinker considered an alcoholic. He had varicose veins and had swelling of both legs and ankles for two years. When he rested the swelling went down. He had two blocked arteries in the right leg so he had vein bypass surgery. He developed edema and went to a lymphedema specialist to massage and get the circulation going. The wounds did not heal for several months. He took a lot of aspirin for the pain. The last two months he was in a lot of pain, extreme swelling in the foot, ankle and leg from the knee down, hemorrhoids, chest pains that went away after taking aspirin, bloated feeling all the time and weight gain in the abdomen, blood sometimes in the stool, and the last couple of days he was extremely tired and exhausted, falling asleep where ever he was sitting. Because of the swelling in his legs, he could not walk but from the living room to the patio and sit in the backyard and get some sun. He continued to drink. The doctor said he was close to losing his leg from the knee down but never mentioned he might need to be checked for cirrhosis of the liver or have that disease. He collapsed at home and was gone from us immediately. We did not know he had the disease but since his surgery in December 2010 he went downhill fast and passed in August 2011.

Must Read Articles Related to Cirrhosis

Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol Intoxication

Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic ...learn more >>

Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Edema Edema, or the abnormal accumulation of fluid in tissues in the body can be caused by several factors. Treatment of edema depends on the cause of the edema.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cirrhosis:

Cirrhosis of the Liver - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your cirrhosis?