Viewer Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cirrhosis:

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 26

My boyfriend is 47 years old. He never drank and was tested negative for hepatitis, autoimmune disease. His liver enzymes are fine as well as the rest of the numbers of the liver. Doctors are baffled as to the origin of the cirrhotic liver. He has portal hypertension and had esophageal varices banded. He had tarry stools for a couple of days furthering the decision to go to the emergency room. He wasn't jaundiced however. Doctors said people can survive 20 years with a cirrhotic liver. He's just scared and feels like his clock is ticking. I'm so sad.

Comment from: Rose, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 02

Almost within 2 weeks my husband had lost a large amount of weight, his head looked very skeletal and his shoulder bones stuck out. My husband had not had a drink for 28 years and was not a needle user or sexually active. But 5 years ago he was diagnose with Hep C and the doctor made his diagnoses sound as if it was a common cold and did not provide much information, other than don't drink alcohol, stay away from red meat and that was it. So we thought it was something that went away. Shortly after that my husband had been sick from his hernia and then hospitalized for getting C-DIF, supposedly being overly medicated by the doctor, and for many years my husband took Tylenol and Bayer Aspirin for chronic headaches. Now my husband has been diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver due to the doctor's lack of information and our lack of knowledge. This could have been prevented with a good doctor and of course health insurance which we have none and now no insurance will even consider him. It is a lose, lose situation. I can only trust in God.

Comment from: eprn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I had no symptoms other than elevated enzymes. I was told I had fatty liver disease and I assumed it was a benign condition since there were no further tests at the time. I have an occasional glass of wine, but I had gained about 60 pounds over about 8 years. When my liver enzymes remained elevated over several years, I was sent for a liver biopsy and given the diagnosis of cirrhosis (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease). I'm a nurse, but I had never heard of it. Who knew my obesity could lead to killing my liver?

Comment from: Vivian, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

In April 2015 I was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver and had a close to dead episode, but I never drink alcohol, and there is no hereditary factor. Apparently it was the consequence of the flu I had for too long, and a urine infection that get worse. My immune system couldn't take it, and attacked my liver, creating a liver failure, and now I have cirrhosis. It is important to check and follow with your doctor.

Comment from: lynn, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 09

Well, not much known about my symptoms of liver cirrhosis but when my mid-section hurts I don't drink much anymore, but when I get 1 beer or shot it quits hurting.

Comment from: Draciron, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

I have lost at least one friend and a relative to liver disease. When I was in my late 20s an insurance physical noticed an enlarged liver. Several follow ups over the next couple years as well as early symptoms of liver disease made it pretty clear my liver was going. It took 3 different doctors to tell me to quit drinking now or die before I got the message. I quit drinking and drastically reduced my use of OTC pain killers. That was 20 years ago. Part of my liver grew back, many of the symptoms went away or stayed away most of the time. I still eat the same way. A diet high in red meat. I've seen low fat and no red meat suggested in other posts. If that were true I'd have been dead 15 years ago. Main things are drinking, OTC painkillers and watching what medicines, if any, you take. If you have Irish heritage it'd be a good idea also to get your iron levels checked. Hemochromatosis (Irish disease) is sneaky and often targets the liver. I lost another uncle to that.

Comment from: okoemensah, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

My daddy has liver failure from drinking. It has cause his legs and stomach to swell and he also had a stroke.

Comment from: mugroom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I lost my husband 2 years ago due to cirrhosis of the liver. Last week, I was told I had cirrhosis of the liver plus plaques on my lung. I was never a drinker or smoker I don't know why I have this.

Must Read Articles Related to Cirrhosis

Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol Intoxication Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of learn more >>
Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Signs of a...learn more >>
Edema
Edema Edema, or the abnormal accumulation of fluid in tissues in the body can be caused by several factors. Treatment of edema depends on the cause of the edema.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cirrhosis:

Cirrhosis of the Liver - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your cirrhosis?