Viewer Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cirrhosis:

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Nancybel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I had no symptoms, except for fluid collecting around my eyes and ankles. I was due to have back surgery and my blood tests showed very low blood platelets, so I was given more extensive tests and it showed that I had Hepatitis C and from a ct scan they found that I also have cirrhosis, I also have a mildly enlarged spleen.

Comment from: Feefee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

Hi, I a vibrant woman, and I was 47 when I was diagnosed with cirrhosis. I was never a drinker (maybe once or twice a year), I never smoked, or did drugs. I have had diabetes for 15 years. I am considered obese, but up until 5 years ago I had stayed the same weight for 10 years. I gained 20 pounds when my doctor put me on steroids. My cholesterol and blood pressure were fine. For the last year I had been coughing so intense that I was vomiting. This was happening almost every hour. The vomiting finally stopped and I had intense abdominal pain. I thought I strained my abdominal muscles from the coughing. After a month of continual pain I went to the ER and I was told I had gallstones. It was when they were going to remove my gallbladder that they found that I had cirrhosis. They said it was caused by fatty liver disease. I am in pain everyday, although the doctors do not feel that the liver is the cause of the pain. They have not been able to determine what the cause is. I was hospitalized for 15 days and came out with severe edema in my feet and legs. I had never had that before. I hear that there are stages of cirrhosis, but I was never told what stage I am in. All of my liver blood work is normal. The picture that the surgeon took of my liver looks horrible. I am tired all of the time. I never took naps, not even when I was a child. Now I fall asleep while at the computer, or standing in line.

Comment from: ypalfrey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I only found out today from my GP that I have onset of cirrhosis. It was originally thought to be a kidney infection because of the pain in my side & abdomen. However, a different GP gave me a fuller examination today. I was told my liver has enlarged by approx 50%, hence the pain. I have dropped 3 dress sizes in approx 5 wks. I am nauseas & vomit constantly. My arms are speckled red. my whole body goes into painful spasms, cramps and over the last few months I have found small (pea size) lumps all over my body. I know that I have to stop drinking to at least slow or halt its progression, and I fully intend to, although I am scared. What I would like to find out is an approx time of survival. I am 52 yrs old with hepatitis c, Reynaud's disease, ex heroin addict, and chronic alcoholic. Not too good eh!

Comment from: kgio55@comcast.net, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My wife drank beer for years and at the end she was drinking 7 cases of beer per week. In September 2009 she was laid up in bed and couldn't get up and walk. She started peeing and pooping the bed so I got diapers for her and changed her on a daily basis. After two weeks, I convinced her to go to the ER. When we arrived, she was admitted right away and was in the hospital for a week. She was released to a convalescent home for rehab. This was to no avail. After 5 days she went back to the hospital where we were told she had end stage liver disease and serious hepatic encephalopathy. We were told to think about hospice care because her kidneys had stopped working. We put her in hospice care on October 20, 2009 and she passed away on October 23, 2009. We were married 26 and a half years. I lost my soul mate.

Comment from: sneaker, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 19

Hi, I have hepatitis C and have had it for probably 20 yrs. My biggest complaint is the chronic joint pain. The kind of pain I've been feeling for years is not just diffuse joint discomfort. It's about a 7 on the 1-10 scale.

Comment from: TheP's, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 19

My husband was recently (11/20/2009) diagnosed with hepatitis C and cirrhosis. He started feeling very sick about 3 weeks prior to that but he thought all he had was the flu. He was very weak, complete loss of appetite, extreme weight loss, headaches, depression, night sweats, cold chills, and feverish. By about the third week he had become EXTEMELY yellow, eyes and body. He went to the ER and that's where he was told he had both of the above. One of the hematologists told him he had no chance of survival and then pretty much stopped treating him (because we had no insurance). He is currently in the hospital again because he started vomiting large amounts of blood, he was immediately placed in ICU and then transferred to general ward where he is right now. He's doing so-so, his blood pressure is semi-normal but his blood count is still low. Tomorrow the doctors tell him exactly what he'll need to do to retain a somewhat good quality of life. Sadly this is something the previous doctors failed to do, they simply discharged him with no directives. He is unsure where he caught the hepatitis c but the cirrhosis came from heavy alcohol use, which he has completely stopped.

Must Read Articles Related to Cirrhosis

Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol Intoxication

Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic ...learn more >>

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Edema
Edema Edema, or the abnormal accumulation of fluid in tissues in the body can be caused by several factors. Treatment of edema depends on the cause of the edema.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cirrhosis:

Cirrhosis of the Liver - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your cirrhosis?