Viewer Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cirrhosis:

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Living Alone, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 05

My husband died a few months ago of end stage hepatic cirrhosis. He was 49 years old. He was a beer drinker considered an alcoholic. He had varicose veins and had swelling of both legs and ankles for two years. When he rested the swelling went down. He had two blocked arteries in the right leg so he had vein bypass surgery. He developed edema and went to a lymphedema specialist to massage and get the circulation going. The wounds did not heal for several months. He took a lot of aspirin for the pain. The last two months he was in a lot of pain, extreme swelling in the foot, ankle and leg from the knee down, hemorrhoids, chest pains that went away after taking aspirin, bloated feeling all the time and weight gain in the abdomen, blood sometimes in the stool, and the last couple of days he was extremely tired and exhausted, falling asleep where ever he was sitting. Because of the swelling in his legs, he could not walk but from the living room to the patio and sit in the backyard and get some sun. He continued to drink. The doctor said he was close to losing his leg from the knee down but never mentioned he might need to be checked for cirrhosis of the liver or have that disease. He collapsed at home and was gone from us immediately. We did not know he had the disease but since his surgery in December 2010 he went downhill fast and passed in August 2011.

Comment from: helpless daughter, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 10

My mom has always been a pretty heavy drinker. Seven years ago she had a GI bleed and should have died. Her hemoglobin was below 3 and she needed over 25 transfusions. We were told she would not last a year. She went through treatment and stayed sober for about a year and then relapsed thinking that wine would be alright to have. She fell and broke her leg in the early part of the summer. She had surgery and was in a nursing home for three months. Since being home she has regressed quite a bit. We have been seeing many doctors and she managed to stay sober since the fall. She is taking several different medications to prolong her life but I fear the end is near.

Comment from: mommy@home, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

The first sign of cirrhosis for me was jaundice. My eyes were so yellow I couldn't stand to look in the mirror

Comment from: Nancybel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I had no symptoms, except for fluid collecting around my eyes and ankles. I was due to have back surgery and my blood tests showed very low blood platelets, so I was given more extensive tests and it showed that I had Hepatitis C and from a ct scan they found that I also have cirrhosis, I also have a mildly enlarged spleen.

Comment from: Feefee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

Hi, I a vibrant woman, and I was 47 when I was diagnosed with cirrhosis. I was never a drinker (maybe once or twice a year), I never smoked, or did drugs. I have had diabetes for 15 years. I am considered obese, but up until 5 years ago I had stayed the same weight for 10 years. I gained 20 pounds when my doctor put me on steroids. My cholesterol and blood pressure were fine. For the last year I had been coughing so intense that I was vomiting. This was happening almost every hour. The vomiting finally stopped and I had intense abdominal pain. I thought I strained my abdominal muscles from the coughing. After a month of continual pain I went to the ER and I was told I had gallstones. It was when they were going to remove my gallbladder that they found that I had cirrhosis. They said it was caused by fatty liver disease. I am in pain everyday, although the doctors do not feel that the liver is the cause of the pain. They have not been able to determine what the cause is. I was hospitalized for 15 days and came out with severe edema in my feet and legs. I had never had that before. I hear that there are stages of cirrhosis, but I was never told what stage I am in. All of my liver blood work is normal. The picture that the surgeon took of my liver looks horrible. I am tired all of the time. I never took naps, not even when I was a child. Now I fall asleep while at the computer, or standing in line.

Comment from: ypalfrey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I only found out today from my GP that I have onset of cirrhosis. It was originally thought to be a kidney infection because of the pain in my side & abdomen. However, a different GP gave me a fuller examination today. I was told my liver has enlarged by approx 50%, hence the pain. I have dropped 3 dress sizes in approx 5 wks. I am nauseas & vomit constantly. My arms are speckled red. my whole body goes into painful spasms, cramps and over the last few months I have found small (pea size) lumps all over my body. I know that I have to stop drinking to at least slow or halt its progression, and I fully intend to, although I am scared. What I would like to find out is an approx time of survival. I am 52 yrs old with hepatitis c, Reynaud's disease, ex heroin addict, and chronic alcoholic. Not too good eh!

Must Read Articles Related to Cirrhosis

Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol Intoxication

Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic ...learn more >>

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Edema
Edema Edema, or the abnormal accumulation of fluid in tissues in the body can be caused by several factors. Treatment of edema depends on the cause of the edema.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cirrhosis:

Cirrhosis of the Liver - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your cirrhosis?