Viewer Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cirrhosis:

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: ypalfrey, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I only found out today from my GP that I have onset of cirrhosis. It was originally thought to be a kidney infection because of the pain in my side & abdomen. However, a different GP gave me a fuller examination today. I was told my liver has enlarged by approx 50%, hence the pain. I have dropped 3 dress sizes in approx 5 wks. I am nauseas & vomit constantly. My arms are speckled red. my whole body goes into painful spasms, cramps and over the last few months I have found small (pea size) lumps all over my body. I know that I have to stop drinking to at least slow or halt its progression, and I fully intend to, although I am scared. What I would like to find out is an approx time of survival. I am 52 yrs old with hepatitis c, Reynaud's disease, ex heroin addict, and chronic alcoholic. Not too good eh!

Comment from: kgio55@comcast.net, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My wife drank beer for years and at the end she was drinking 7 cases of beer per week. In September 2009 she was laid up in bed and couldn't get up and walk. She started peeing and pooping the bed so I got diapers for her and changed her on a daily basis. After two weeks, I convinced her to go to the ER. When we arrived, she was admitted right away and was in the hospital for a week. She was released to a convalescent home for rehab. This was to no avail. After 5 days she went back to the hospital where we were told she had end stage liver disease and serious hepatic encephalopathy. We were told to think about hospice care because her kidneys had stopped working. We put her in hospice care on October 20, 2009 and she passed away on October 23, 2009. We were married 26 and a half years. I lost my soul mate.

Comment from: sneaker, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 19

Hi, I have hepatitis C and have had it for probably 20 yrs. My biggest complaint is the chronic joint pain. The kind of pain I've been feeling for years is not just diffuse joint discomfort. It's about a 7 on the 1-10 scale.

Comment from: TheP's, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 19

My husband was recently (11/20/2009) diagnosed with hepatitis C and cirrhosis. He started feeling very sick about 3 weeks prior to that but he thought all he had was the flu. He was very weak, complete loss of appetite, extreme weight loss, headaches, depression, night sweats, cold chills, and feverish. By about the third week he had become EXTEMELY yellow, eyes and body. He went to the ER and that's where he was told he had both of the above. One of the hematologists told him he had no chance of survival and then pretty much stopped treating him (because we had no insurance). He is currently in the hospital again because he started vomiting large amounts of blood, he was immediately placed in ICU and then transferred to general ward where he is right now. He's doing so-so, his blood pressure is semi-normal but his blood count is still low. Tomorrow the doctors tell him exactly what he'll need to do to retain a somewhat good quality of life. Sadly this is something the previous doctors failed to do, they simply discharged him with no directives. He is unsure where he caught the hepatitis c but the cirrhosis came from heavy alcohol use, which he has completely stopped.

Comment from: renae, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

Before I was diagnosed with cirrhosis, I had swelling in my abdomen to the point of not being able to walk well. I also had pain in the abdominal area, and I was itchy to the point of no return “ mostly at night. I also had sore breakout on my back.

Comment from: Annamaria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I had a variety of ailments that are related to people who have cirrhosis...problem was...only the ailments were diagnosed. Diabetes. High blood pressure. Muscle wasting. Daytime sleepiness. Fatigue. I started to feel 20 years older within a year or two. As I look back, different types of doctors totally missed the "what should have been obvious" indicator of extreme itchiness of hands and feet. They lightly blew it off as some contact dermatitis, change in soaps, lotions, etc. and suggested OTC allergy meds. Eventually, because I had "bad liver numbers" on an unrelated lab test, they thought I had a gallbladder problem. Of course, they decided to remove it. During that surgery they did a liver biopsy...over 50% of my liver was cirrhotic. I can't help but think if someone had recognized the inexplicable intense itching of palms and soles of feet FIVE YEARS ago, the outcome could have been different. Just a word to the wise. Peace be with you!

Comment from: LWay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

My dad passed away in June, 2012 from liver cancer caused by cirrhosis. He was admitted in February, 2012 because his potassium was so low. In March he was admitted to the hospital for 2 weeks because he just did not feel good and he was so thin and frail. He had some tumors on his liver but a biopsy was done and we were told he did not have cancer. He was then referred to a specialist with his appointment being in May. The specialist said there was no need in doing a biopsy, he could tell it was cancer and there was nothing they could do. He passed the end of June. He drank every day of his life and it was still a shock because he never had any real symptoms until it was too late. He was never in any pain. He never took any pain pills. I do thank the Lord for that. I will miss him every day for the rest of my life.

Must Read Articles Related to Cirrhosis

Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol Intoxication

Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic ...learn more >>

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Signs of a...learn more >>
Edema
Edema Edema, or the abnormal accumulation of fluid in tissues in the body can be caused by several factors. Treatment of edema depends on the cause of the edema.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cirrhosis:

Cirrhosis of the Liver - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your cirrhosis?