Viewer Comments: Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cirrhosis:

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: renae, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

Before I was diagnosed with cirrhosis, I had swelling in my abdomen to the point of not being able to walk well. I also had pain in the abdominal area, and I was itchy to the point of no return “ mostly at night. I also had sore breakout on my back.

Comment from: Annamaria, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I had a variety of ailments that are related to people who have cirrhosis...problem was...only the ailments were diagnosed. Diabetes. High blood pressure. Muscle wasting. Daytime sleepiness. Fatigue. I started to feel 20 years older within a year or two. As I look back, different types of doctors totally missed the "what should have been obvious" indicator of extreme itchiness of hands and feet. They lightly blew it off as some contact dermatitis, change in soaps, lotions, etc. and suggested OTC allergy meds. Eventually, because I had "bad liver numbers" on an unrelated lab test, they thought I had a gallbladder problem. Of course, they decided to remove it. During that surgery they did a liver biopsy...over 50% of my liver was cirrhotic. I can't help but think if someone had recognized the inexplicable intense itching of palms and soles of feet FIVE YEARS ago, the outcome could have been different. Just a word to the wise. Peace be with you!

Comment from: LWay, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

My dad passed away in June, 2012 from liver cancer caused by cirrhosis. He was admitted in February, 2012 because his potassium was so low. In March he was admitted to the hospital for 2 weeks because he just did not feel good and he was so thin and frail. He had some tumors on his liver but a biopsy was done and we were told he did not have cancer. He was then referred to a specialist with his appointment being in May. The specialist said there was no need in doing a biopsy, he could tell it was cancer and there was nothing they could do. He passed the end of June. He drank every day of his life and it was still a shock because he never had any real symptoms until it was too late. He was never in any pain. He never took any pain pills. I do thank the Lord for that. I will miss him every day for the rest of my life.

Must Read Articles Related to Cirrhosis

Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol Intoxication

Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic ...learn more >>

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Edema
Edema Edema, or the abnormal accumulation of fluid in tissues in the body can be caused by several factors. Treatment of edema depends on the cause of the edema.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cirrhosis:

Cirrhosis of the Liver - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your cirrhosis?