Viewer Comments: Cirrhosis of the Liver - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cirrhosis:

Cirrhosis of the Liver - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your cirrhosis?

Comment from: grandad, 45-54 Male Published: October 04

My husband was diagnosed with end stage liver disease. He was told he had at best two years. He has not drunk since. He was told this upsetting news but he receives constant care from his consultant through regular checkups. At the moment he is having pain in his legs and losing his balance. He is convinced that his body is beginning to give in. He has been told my one of his doctors to look into liver transplant waiting list.

Comment from: NYkat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

The most effective treatment I received was in the way I found out about cirrhosis. After 25 years as bar manager I reached the point where I drank daily and often, which continued after I stopped the position. I started feeling tired and nauseated with no appetite, my eyes were red and sore. One morning I got up to use the bathroom; well I knew if I tried to stand up my legs would not work, so I crawled to the kitchen and got a drink. Hours passed and I knew I could not continue this so I knocked the phone off the table and called 911. I managed to unlock the front door so the medics could come in. After reaching the hospital I remember signing forms, that's it for about two weeks. I awoke when the doctor started asking me my name, etc. From there I went into a rehabilitation center for patients with all kinds of health problems. That was seven years ago now, I have had a glass of wine at a restaurant once or twice, that's it, none at home or for any occasions. However I am starting to see other symptoms like confusion with some memory loss, fatigue, weakness. Every day I regret being so foolish for over 25 years. This is no joke it is a killer disease, with alcohol as its sidekick.

Comment from: naveen, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 18

MysDad is 53 and found that he had alcoholic liver disease and continued to drink. He started losing strength in his arms. He has developed jaundice, with very dark yellow eyes and skin. The doctor ordered a CAT scan, which revealed cirrhosis, and the doctor said my dad had liver cirrhosis. He started having seizures and couldn't stand or walk without having them. He was admitted to ICU and was told that his blood pressure was terribly low and ended up getting a blood transfusion. We're still waiting for him to get better.

Comment from: Ayub, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I was diagnosed with alcoholic liver cirrhosis 7 months ago. Admitted to hospital, ascites, bleeding verices, vomiting, a cirrhosis child's score c. After taking diuretics, prapanalol, lactulose, vit b and thiamine, my liver function results are normal. Positive thinking also helped a great deal. Doctors were even talking about a transplant. No need, there is hope. Healthier than I've ever been.

Comment from: lwinu55, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 08

I treated my cirrhosis with a low protein diet, low dose of diuretics and antioxidants.

Must Read Articles Related to Cirrhosis

Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol Intoxication

Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic ...learn more >>

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Signs of a...learn more >>
Edema
Edema Edema, or the abnormal accumulation of fluid in tissues in the body can be caused by several factors. Treatment of edema depends on the cause of the edema.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cirrhosis:

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?