Viewer Comments: Cirrhosis of the Liver - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cirrhosis:

Cirrhosis of the Liver - Treatment

What treatment has been effective for your cirrhosis?

Comment from: beer beaste, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I'm 46 years old and I have been drinking since I was in my teens. I started drinking more after joining the army. I slowed down a little by my mid to late thirties, but by now, my kids are grown. My drinking has really stepped up and I suddenly started having swelling in my knees and feet. The doctor said that I have gout. After a battery of tests, I found out that it wasn't gout, but that my liver is enlarged. Now I'm starting to pass blood in my stool. What have I done to myself and what will my kids think of me? I will see a specialist soon, but I hold little hope. I hope this can open someone's eyes.

Comment from: marcella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 22

I was diagnosed with cirrhosis of liver five years ago. Alcohol abuse was the cause. I was hospitalized for a month. I stopped drinking. I was considered an end-stage alcoholic. I began walking every day, restricted salt drastically, low fat and very little red meat diet. I currently am on no meds. My liver is damaged, but stable. Go every six months for ultrasounds. You need to monitor yourself every day for health. You can be healthy again!

Comment from: christine anders, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

After 30 years of serious drinking and hospital inpatient spells, I never would listen to doctors, rehab or CT scans. I always thought I could handle it and the cirrhosis would clear up itself. 2010 was the worst year of my life. Alcohol poisoning brought severe confusion and no control over myself, I woke up days later in hospital again. This time I listened when they told me too late, nothing could be done. I was horrified. I was put on the transplant list. Now waiting I am still filled with horror at what has happened to me. Every day is a blessing.

Comment from: sad sack, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 13

My husband passed away just 4 days ago from cirrhosis of the liver. He had a foot infection, then amputation of his leg. While he was recovering from the amputation, all of the symptoms of the cirrhosis took over. No appetite, swelling of the hands and legs, jaundice, kidney failure and much confusion. He was so very sick. Also, his last blood pressure read 52/20 and no temperature would register.

Comment from: Sunshine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I was 50 years old and I just thought the reason for my weight gain in my stomach and confusion I was feeling was the beginning of menopause. My stomach did burn a couple times but I thought that was acid reflux. I went camping and had my normal drinks with my friends when I had to go vomit. I started vomiting blood. My husband packed up camp and took me to a hospital where I was admitted to ICU. The doctors didn't know if I would survive. I did receive blood transfusions and it was a horrible experience. I had to get rubber banding treatments. If you drink often and notice symptoms like I've mentioned get yourself to a doctor and be honest about your alcohol consumption so they can properly diagnosis you and provide you with treatment. I started drinking in my thirties. I wish now I would have known what I was doing to myself. I have been completely alcohol free for over a year. I still deal with a lot of digestive problems.

Comment from: grandad, 45-54 Male Published: October 04

My husband was diagnosed with end stage liver disease. He was told he had at best two years. He has not drunk since. He was told this upsetting news but he receives constant care from his consultant through regular checkups. At the moment he is having pain in his legs and losing his balance. He is convinced that his body is beginning to give in. He has been told my one of his doctors to look into liver transplant waiting list.

Comment from: NYkat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

The most effective treatment I received was in the way I found out about cirrhosis. After 25 years as bar manager I reached the point where I drank daily and often, which continued after I stopped the position. I started feeling tired and nauseated with no appetite, my eyes were red and sore. One morning I got up to use the bathroom; well I knew if I tried to stand up my legs would not work, so I crawled to the kitchen and got a drink. Hours passed and I knew I could not continue this so I knocked the phone off the table and called 911. I managed to unlock the front door so the medics could come in. After reaching the hospital I remember signing forms, that's it for about two weeks. I awoke when the doctor started asking me my name, etc. From there I went into a rehabilitation center for patients with all kinds of health problems. That was seven years ago now, I have had a glass of wine at a restaurant once or twice, that's it, none at home or for any occasions. However I am starting to see other symptoms like confusion with some memory loss, fatigue, weakness. Every day I regret being so foolish for over 25 years. This is no joke it is a killer disease, with alcohol as its sidekick.

Must Read Articles Related to Cirrhosis

Alcohol Intoxication
Alcohol Intoxication

Alcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic ...learn more >>

Alcoholism
Alcoholism Alcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Despite al...learn more >>
Edema
Edema Edema, or the abnormal accumulation of fluid in tissues in the body can be caused by several factors. Treatment of edema depends on the cause of the edema.learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cirrhosis:

Cirrhosis of The Liver - Symptoms

The symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?