Viewer Comments: Clostridium Difficile Colitis - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff, Antibiotic Related Colitis):

Clostridium Difficile Colitis - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your clostridium difficile colitis?

Comment from: Lulu, 35-44 (Patient) Published: March 11

I tested positive for Clostridium difficile back in January and since then tested negative 3 times which is good, but I still feel so sick not with the going to bathroom but just don't feel right. Some days are good some bad, I wonder if this is normal after testing negative. I also think I got an ulcer from all this ordeal. When I eat now I get crazy pains above the belly button to breast, and it keeps me up at night. Last night I thought I was having a heart attack, it was so bad so I went to emergency but they would only check to make sure it is not my heart, and said to see my family doctor. Sometimes I feel like going crazy and feel like I will never get better.

Comment from: Jenny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 05

I was a pretty healthy person until this Clostridium difficile colitis got me. I exercise, eat healthy, and am not overweight. I slowly became bloated, had cramps, and was very tired. The pain was so bad I went to the emergency room (ER). I had a CT scan and told I was constipated. I told them about small odd bowel movements that were explosive. I asked if they could test my stool, they said they don't do that but a specialist could, and they insisted I was constipated. They put me on Miralax and a giant jug of liquid to drink every 30 minutes till I cleaned myself out. Of course this did nothing to help. Back to my doctor, I was sent to a gastrointestinal (GI) specialist, who could not see me for another 3 weeks! I begged and got in to see the GI specialist in a week, had the stool test finally, and was found positive for C. difficile. By researching I knew that was a huge possibility, I had the exact symptoms. I just finished a round of the standard antibiotics for C. difficile, Flagyl. I felt better towards the end of that treatment, just less bowel movements, and more energy. Now it is a week since I am off medications and I'm back to square one. My doctor recheck is still a week away. I have to beg to get in again sooner. No luck. Why does a person with all the classic symptoms of C. difficile go untested in an ER! Why don't physicians take this seriously! And why don't doctors do the FMT (fecal microbiota transplant) treatment as standard procedure to cure the patient! Another loud stomach noise, cramps, and bloated night of pain! Best of luck to you all that have this, always listen to your body, be your own advocate to stay well or get well.

Comment from: PAN, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I am still fighting c. diff. I am really tired of the bloated stomach. I have heard that this is a tough infection to get rid of. I am on my second round of Flagyl for two weeks.

Must Read Articles Related to Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff)

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Colic Doctors have yet to discover the causes of infant colic, described as excessive crying in an otherwise healthy baby. Symptoms and signs include clenching fists,...learn more >>

Clostridium Difficile Colitis - Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your clostridium difficile colitis (antibiotic-associated colitis, c. difficile colitis)?