Cluster Headache (cont.)
When to Seek Medical Care for Cluster Headaches
Ideally, you will be under the care of a doctor familiar with this type of headache-a neurologist, a pain physician, or a family doctor with special training with this type of headache.
- You and the doctor will work out a plan so you will know which types of pain you can deal with safely at home, which require a call to the doctor, and which require an immediate trip to a hospital's emergency department.
- You should always bear in mind, however, that these headaches can be excruciating, and your doctor always will be there to help you.
- Notify the doctor when you get a severe headache that is not of the same type as the ones you are used to experiencing.
- Call your doctor if you develop a new side effect from the medications you are taking.
- If you have not ever had headaches, or have never seen a doctor for headaches, and have a sudden, severe headache, you should call your doctor or go to a hospital's emergency department.
Seek immediate medical attention or go to a hospital's emergency department under the following circumstances:
- When your current medication does not control the pain and you need immediate relief
- When your pain prevents eating and drinking and you become at significant risk of malnutrition or dehydration
- When you experience profound side effects from your medication such as severe drowsiness, sedation, and nausea and vomiting
- When a doctor advises you to seek evaluation and treatment for any of these problems
- When you have a change in the severity or increased frequency of headaches, or a headache that feels different from any previous headaches
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 4/4/2016
Joseph Carcione Jr, DO, MBA
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
Must Read Articles Related to Cluster Headache
5 Types of Headaches
There are five main types of headaches including migraines, cluster headaches, tension headaches, sinus headaches, and mixed headaches. Knowing what kind of hea...learn more >>
Cluster Headache FAQs
Cluster headaches are uncommon, but they come in groups and are characterized by intense pain, usually focused around one or both eyes. The cause of cluster hea...learn more >>
Migraine and Cluster Headache Medications
Migraines and cluster headaches are severe recurrent headaches. Medications to treat them fall under a number of different categories. These include triptans an...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cluster Headache: