Viewer Comments: Cluster Headaches - Patient Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cluster Headache:

Cluster Headaches - Patient Experience

Do you have cluster headaches? Tell us about your symptoms and treatment.

Comment from: flymaker ohio, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

Cluster headaches have attacked me for 12 years now. I fight the monster every day. I have an Implant on board; Medtronic's stimulator battery on my left side just below my belt line. The wire traverses across my back to the center and up to the base of my skull, then to the back and around both sides of my head stopping about the start of my ears. The date of my surgery was 2/14/14, and outpatient at the hospital I was at; that's how good my doctor and staff performed their jobs. The stimulator has helped, however it is not the end all that we all need, I'm still suffering and having to take medication. I don't take any painkillers at all. I do however use DHE-45. My faith, family, and friends have kept me strong. Try ASMR (autonomous sensory meridian response) to relax.

Comment from: kelly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I began having cluster headaches 6 1/2 years ago. When they started they lasted 6 months, then stopped for 10 months, and then came back for 29 straight months during which time my life was awful. They then stopped for 4 months then came back for 4 months then stopped again. They have recently started back again and I now have no pain medicines of any kind (over the counter only). I don't know how I am going to get through this with no pain medicines! These headaches are so severe, as you well know. Well, there you have it.

Comment from: tmac, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 16

I have had cluster headaches for over 15 years now. I initially thought the problem was with my eyes. It took a few years before a neurologist told me I had cluster headaches. I tried oxygen and oral meds but the only thing that worked was the Imitrex shots. They work almost immediately. I used to get them every two years. I then went four years without one, until last week. I have noticed they occur more when I drink alcohol. They are exceptionally painful. Good luck to anyone who suffers from these!

Must Read Articles Related to Cluster Headache

5 Types of Headaches
5 Types of Headaches There are five main types of headaches including migraines, cluster headaches, tension headaches, sinus headaches, and mixed headaches. Knowing what kind of hea...learn more >>
Cluster Headache FAQs
Cluster Headache FAQs Cluster headaches are uncommon, but they come in groups and are characterized by intense pain, usually focused around one or both eyes. The cause of cluster hea...learn more >>
Migraine and Cluster Headache Medications
Migraine and Cluster Headache Medications Migraines and cluster headaches are severe recurrent headaches. Medications to treat them fall under a number of different categories. These include triptans an...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cluster Headache:

Cluster Headache - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with your cluster headaches?

Cluster Headaches - Treatment

What kind of relief did you receive for your cluster headaches? Was it effective?