Viewer Comments: Herpes Simplex Infections - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cold Sores:

Herpes Simplex Infections - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with herpes simplex infections (cold sores, non-genital).

Comment from: 25-34 Published: November 04

I have had cold sores since I was 14 years old, despite not knowing what it really was, even after seeing a doctor. During college I was actually told I had cold sores by a doctor and given Valtrex which is AMAZING! I don't take it daily but when taken at the first sign of the tingle will substantially decrease the severity of the cold sore and shorten healing time way better than even Abreva. It's easy to ask the doctor despite its advertisement as treatment for genital herpes. No side effects and it is well known as a treatment for cold sores. I keep it on me all the times and take it anytime I am worried about and outbreak and I haven't had one in a year. I swear it's the best treatment, besides all the topical things to relieve discomfort. It is a little embarrassing since everyone knows what this drug treats, but not as embarrassing as the bump! Like most people I get them from sun, stress and severe illness, but I feel I have cold sores really under control now.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: October 29

Ouch! Right now I have the worst case of cold sores that I have had in my life. They are covering 75% of my lips. I have been unable to show my face at work for the last 4 days - it is so bad and embarrassing. (Thankfully my boss is understanding and I am able to work from home this week) I don't know what to do for it except sleep a lot, take L-Lysine pills (I think they work), and apply Abreva. Sometimes they come up from stress, lack of sleep - but this time it started with chapped lips. BAM! Sometimes they come on so fast it is unbelievable. Grrr.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

Tea Tree Oil. I've been getting them for 35 Years, since I was 4. I've tried a lot and the best thing for me is tea tree oil. The blisters are not getting as big and painful and heal quicker. Sometimes it goes away even before becoming a blister. I've told other sufferers and they agreed.

Comment from: Trouble40, 45-54 Female Published: October 21

I have been getting cold sores since college. About 30 years. Lately they have been showing up after I have had severely chapped lips. This can be from whatever. The last bout was after a big, fun party. I also drank pop out of a can which seems to trigger them. They pop up whenever, but usually with chapped lips for me. Not necessarily sun-related, but from whatever. I have used Carmex, with limited success, usually to just keep things moist. I have also used regular white toothpaste at night (Colgate/Crest), which seems to help dry them up faster. I think will try the ice trick. Yes, they are ugly and painful. Wish there was a cure.

Comment from: cyndiep40, 35-44 Female Published: October 20

I have been having cold sores for as long as I can remember. I am 44 years old and for some reason it seems to be getting worse. I went from two to three times a year until almost every other month, usually around my cycle. Abreva seems to clear them up in three to four days. I never heard of anyone getting the cold sores from me. I have been married for 25 years.

Comment from: ps, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

Up until 2002 I never had a cold sore...In 2002 I underwent chemo for cancer..after that, I get them..one every once in a while, when I was sick..but since 9/15/09 till this date, I have had five different attacks.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I have been getting cold sores since I was a kid and I think I got it from my parents. It is an embarrassing issue to have because a) you cant hide it and b) the stigma behind it. Everyone just assumes it's herpes like the regular STD. I hope more people are aware that anyone can contract this and does not mean we are "dirty" or anything.

Comment from: LOve101, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I'm 18 years old and I have been getting fever blisters since I was a young girl. Now the doctors seem to be no help! It's so embarrassing and when I do get them (like 2 or 3 times out of the year). I feel so self-conscious and I limit myself into going outside. Only thing I know that helps is....NOTHING, but isolating myself from others and let it heal on its own! I've tried everything and it seems to take the same amount of time as putting anything on there! I've got one now and I just wait and wait as it dries up and goes away.

Comment from: Sammy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I've been getting cold sores since I was about 6 years old. I usually get one followed straight away by a second, each lasting about a week at a time. I have not yet found any decent cures for them, other than putting a compress on to try to limit the amount of moisture getting on the sore.

Must Read Articles Related to Cold Sores

Colds
Colds The cold is the most commonly occurring illness in the entire world, with more than 1 billion colds per year reported in the United States alone. Symptoms and s...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cold Sores:

Cold Sore - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your cold sore?

Herpes Simplex Infections - Treatments

How were your herpes simples infections (cold sores, non-genital) treated?