Viewer Comments: Herpes Simplex Infections - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cold Sores:

Herpes Simplex Infections - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with herpes simplex infections (cold sores, non-genital).

Comment from: livelifeontherun, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am 19 now and I noticed my first cold sore when I was about 16, I had shared a drink with my step mom without even thinking... oh man do I resent that drink! I usually only get an out break twice a year... but always in the worst possible place and time! I believe mine comes from stress and right around my period... I use abreva and that seems to work pretty well.. I was just hoping maybe someone had miricale cream that would make it disappear in a day... maybe I will just have to try some more out... man I feel dirty from this! ughhh....

Comment from: Greg, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I get a cold sore about once every 8 months to a year. Mine are very painful and I usually keep it for around 2 - 2-1/2 weeks. I cannot keep it from cracking and it spreads from the corner of my mouth to just under my lip. It burns and is really, really nasty looking and REALLY freakin' embarrassing. The Nexcare and Carmex have ZERO effect on this monster. I've never been to a doctor but after this last out break I can't take it anymore, the doctor is getting a visit!

Comment from: Ann, 45-54 Female Published: September 23

I think I have a cold sore on my lip, inside my nose (it's runny nose season), and on my eye lids. They do not appear severe. I believe that I contracted them in the daycare center where i work.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I currently have one of the worst outbreaks of cold sores I have ever had. I am 99.999% certain this outbreak has been caused by a fairly severe sunburn on my face and lips, no blisters but bad for my face. While I have had sunburns before on the face I protect my face as much as possible to prevent them. My lips were burnt as was my face after approximately 7 hours in the sun. I use Carmex and medicated lip blam to relieve pain and keep the sores from cracking and hurting. Carmex is the easiest to apply and is the least painful for me as it gets really soft and liquidy when in contact with the skin.

Comment from: Belvita, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I'm infected and I suffer from a cold sore for days. This time, I have been under stress at work and I've been exposed to the sun during a trip last week. It is so painful, I'm actually using Zovirax and I'm still waiting to recover.

Comment from: little red head, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I am 18 and this is the first time I have ever had a cold sore. It hurts so bad, it is on my top lip RIGHT in the center. I was out in the sun all day yesterday and then today I woke up with this lovely beast on my face. I immediately put Abreva on it now I just have to wait to see how well this works.

Comment from: Jackie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I am 24 and have gotten cold sores since i was a little girl. My mother gave it to my sister and me. Since I have had them for so long I have used many things to fight them. I found a combo of all of them works best. The ice helps to stop the growth and tea-tree oil to dry it out which makes it scab and go away faster. Once the blister is filled in, hot black tea bags used the same as ice and Zovirax from my doctor and vitamins b-12/c/and Zinc. With all of these together, mine last about 4 days. It's a lot but I would rather do all this then stay inside for 2 weeks.

Must Read Articles Related to Cold Sores

Colds
Colds The cold is the most commonly occurring illness in the entire world, with more than 1 billion colds per year reported in the United States alone. Symptoms and s...learn more >>
Sunburn (Sun Poisoning)
Sunburn Sunburn is a burn on the skin caused by UV radiation. Mild sunburn symptoms include skin redness and pain. Severe cases of sunburn (sun poisoning) are complicat...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cold Sores:

Cold Sore - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your cold sore?

Herpes Simplex Infections - Treatments

How were your herpes simples infections (cold sores, non-genital) treated?

From WebMD