Viewer Comments: Herpes Simplex Infections - Treatments

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cold Sores:

Herpes Simplex Infections - Treatments

How were your herpes simples infections (cold sores, non-genital) treated?

Comment from: Bloody coldsores, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 29

I got my first cold sore at 19 after a very stressful time and the outbreak was severe. It was all over my lower face and nose!! Now I get them about once every two years. If I'm not careful, they spread all over my nose and lips still. The best tingle treatment I've found is Rawleigh's ontiment - works great for me. Lysine seems to work to reduce breakouts if I have a large number of tablets a day from tingle. Ice worked well last time but pretty much had to make my lips go blue. Now, I'm off to a quiet dark stress-less place to relax. Good luck1

Comment from: Aly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 14

I've been getting cold sores now for about five years, since I was roughly 19 or 20. I know exactly who I got it from (my best friend who let me steal her soda bottle despite having an outbreak of her own going on). For a while, like the first year or so, I'd get them at least once a month and it was the most horrible experience in the world. I'd go to work and get heckled by the guys constantly being asked, "What did you do to your lip?" or "What's that on your lip, kid?" Gradually the outbreaks have calmed down. I used to use an over the counter Chap Stick like medication called Herpecin L for a while, the "college student budget" version of Abreva I found. It really seemed to help and worked quite well! I really need to get another one, now that I think about it. I can usually tell when one is about to form, they generally attack while I'm asleep (they're sneaky like that). I'll generally wake up and my throat will feel very sore, like a gland is aggravated. There's also usually a sensitive spot already on my lip prior to the blister forming (and nine out of ten times I wind up with a dull headache during an outbreak). I hadn't had an outbreak in MONTHS, until this weekend. Friday morning I woke up and sure enough, smack dab in the middle of my lip was an ugly red lump. It's generally brought on with stress (and as I was to be singing in a choir performance both Friday and Saturday night plus having finals start this week...yeah, I'd say stress definitely brought it on!). Sadly, a I'm stuck at school without a car until Thursday, I have to suck it up and let the blasted thing run its course without the aid of medications. Oh how I long to be free from these things again...

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

I am 35 and have been suffering from cold sores for almost 15 years. They didn't get bad until 5 years ago when I had really bad cluster. My doctor prescribed Valtrex and Denavir. The Valtrex was filled with generic, which worked fine. I also use lysine, if I know I'm having a stressful time or will be in the sun for long time, I will start taking 1000mg lysine daily as preventative. As soon as I feel a tingle or itch and think I'm getting one, I'll pop a valtrex. 90% of the time I won't get them, if I do actually get one as soon as I start using the denavir, in addition to the valtrex, the blisters are so small and usually gone in 2-3 days.

Comment from: hate cold sores, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I used Abreva for four days with no relief (at 18.99 for a small tube, it was a rip-off). A friend told me that she used Neosporin. I had the generic brand of Neosporin at home and started using it. Within four hours of application, the swelling in my lip has decreased considerably. The pain is also subsiding.

Comment from: michelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I have been getting cold sores all of my life and i was recently prescribed Valtrex however its very expensive ($120.00) for 8 tablets! So they put me on the highest does of acyclovir they could ($5.00) for 8 tablets and it works amazingly. Now my I have to look for my breakouts because they are hard to find sometimes.

Comment from: sp0rtygrl, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I used to get a cold sores almost every other month and they were huge could be spotted a mile away! But now maybe twice a year by taking L-Lysine daily and using SPF 45 lip balm when out in the sun helps.

Comment from: hbss24, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

Using Abreva was something that didn't seem to help at all. Prescription Zovirax, the pill form, worked but ONLY if I had my prescription with me within the first 1-3 hours of noticing a cold sore. The prescription was only for four huge pills so when I got several outbreaks in a month keeping the prescription filled became an expensive chore.

Comment from: CH, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 08

I have been getting cold sores from long. Every time I catch flu they do appear, and they're not painful but itchy! You feel them when they are about to appear so when I've got the ointment then I put it before and they will disappear.

Must Read Articles Related to Cold Sores

Colds
Colds The cold is the most commonly occurring illness in the entire world, with more than 1 billion colds per year reported in the United States alone. Symptoms and s...learn more >>
Sunburn (Sun Poisoning)
Sunburn Sunburn is a burn on the skin caused by UV radiation. Mild sunburn symptoms include skin redness and pain. Severe cases of sunburn (sun poisoning) are complicat...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Cold Sores:

Cold Sore - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your cold sore?

Herpes Simplex Infections - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with herpes simplex infections (cold sores, non-genital).