Viewer Comments: Colitis - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis:

Colitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your colitis?

Comment from: ArkyNana, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My doctor first sent me to a hematologist in an attempt to find out what was causing my diarrhea and weight loss. After several blood tests and CT scans he finally concluded I had some form of chronic disease and sent me for a colonoscopy. That was December 28, 2014. Seems there was some injury to the colon as it was extremely thin. After recovering from that test, I was greeted by a surgeon who said he must operate immediately to repair the colon. So far no one has told me what type of colitis I have.

Comment from: granny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I started eating salmon and pool exercise at the same time. After two weeks I had intense stomach pain and thought it was due to the pool! Colitis, it was. I took 2 antibiotics for 10 days and the pain left most of my stomach but has intensified near my gallbladder. The emergency room doctor says to wait till I see my doctor. Go figure! Yes, I quit eating fish for now!

Comment from: Miserable, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I initially thought I had a stomach virus, but after a month the symptoms had not gone away. I was miserable with uncontrollable diarrhea, stomach cramps, intestinal cramps, fever, fatigue, dizzy spells, hot flashes, mental confusion, and a facial rash. I went to a gastroenterologist and he did a colonoscopy. Luckily, he had done a biopsy or he would have never known I had collagenous colitis, in an otherwise normal-looking colon.

Must Read Articles Related to Colitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Barium Enema
Barium Enema A barium enema is a diagnostic test that us performed to examine the colon and rectum for abnormalities. Barium enema may be ordered for a patient to identify i...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis:

Colitis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colitis?

Colitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Colitis.