Viewer Comments: Colitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis:

Colitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Colitis.

Comment from: lock roache, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 12

I get a bad colitis attach every six to nine months. I'm completely drained of energy and I lose weight because of this ailment. I have been on courses of steroids and I'm taking anti-inflammatory tablets. I have to very careful of what I eat. I wonder if I will always have this ailment.

Comment from: Irish Girl, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I am a 76-year-old woman and have just been diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis. I have had severe diarrhea for fifteen months and my Doctors have tried treating me for IBS, diverticulitis, and bacterial infection (after back surgery in Feb.) There was little pain, but a lot of gurgling and bubbling and I could feel the stool moving downward. No blood ever. Immodium and Beneiber helped some, but the medications given for the above conditions only gave me painful cramps. I changed gastroenterologists, had a colonoscopy and a diagnosis. A new medication was prescribed and I am waiting to see the results.

Comment from: Al, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 22

I am 58 years old. One day about three months ago I had a bad pain in the belly and felt like I needed to go and all I showed was thick dark blood, everywhere. The symptoms got more acute up to where I was going to the bathroom up to fifteen or sixteen times a day. Of all the times I went, about half of the time, there was just blood. Today I was diagnosed with colitis. I was told that I may have to take medication for the rest of my life.

Comment from: Student, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I'm 24. I have colitis I have been taking meds for a few months and the pain has gone away mostly, but still running to the bathroom twice a day. Hopefully, it clears up cause I'm very worried about it!

Comment from: patooty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I am a 52 year old female that was diagnosed with c. diff after taking antibiotics for an infection. After a hospital stay and IV antibiotics they found that I came in with not one condition but two. Because colon conditions can be hard to diagnose without a history I have not been classified yet. Steroids have helped greatly and I am being taken off the steroids slowly. Three specialists worked with me while I was in the hospital and the one thing they all agreed on was that I need to manage stress. If your stressed it can really twist your abdomen in knots without you even realizing it. They gave me an anti anxiety medication that I take when I am having a bad day, but warned me if I felt I was taking it too often I should go on anti depressants. I have been on the antidepressants for three week and I can tell A difference. I never had a problem before this but this situation we are in can be very uncertain and make us worry. When I am more relaxed my symptoms calm right down with me. So if you're having control issues and are doing all the right things talk to your doctor about it. It can only help.

Comment from: JANE DOE, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 09

I have colitis and when I eat, the food races through my stomach. Shortly thereafter, I get the feeling that I have to use the bathroom. I get there sometimes just in the nick of time. I have a lot of diarrhea, but no pain and no bloating. I have tried everything I can think of, including a gluten-free diet and lactose-free milk. Nothing seems to help. My doctor also gave me an antibiotic to kill the bacteria in the bowel but that didn't help either. I am just out of things to try. I have even tried anti-diarrheal tablets. Nothing works!

Comment from: Karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

diagnosed 25 years ago with Ulcerative Colitis - was given medication. Went away after divorcing husband. I got it back a few months ago - work related problems with coworker and it started again. I'm not having the blood anymore (as far as my eye can tell) but I'm getting green stools and bad smell.

Comment from: st2009, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

After a bout with diarrhea (Caused by food poisoning - I think) I continued to have soft stools and light cramping in my abdomen. I also felt some swelling on the left side of my stomach. This lasted for over two weeks. I made a doctor's appointment and was given 7 days of Flagil, an antiboitic. The symptoms improved but did not stop esp. the swelling in my stomach. I returned to the doctor after a week and was given 7 more days of the antibiotic. The symptoms improved but did not go away, especially the swelling in my stomach. I returned to the doctor and had a CT scan ordered of my stomach and pelvis. This turned up nothing. I am now going for a colonoscopy and taking probiotics (Align and yogurt which have helped greatly! I no longer feel swelling in my stomach!) Hopefully the colonoscopy will be a help. While I no longer feel the swelling in my stomach I still have minor cramping and soft stool on occasion (2-4 times a week).

Must Read Articles Related to Colitis

Barium Enema
Barium Enema A barium enema is a diagnostic test. During the test, the doctor puts a contrast material called barium into the rectum. Enough barium is given to fill up the c...learn more >>
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff, Antibiotic Related Colitis)
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff) Clostridium difficile (or C. difficile, C. diff) colitis is an infection of the colon. C. diff infection is most commonly associated with antibiotic use. Anothe...learn more >>
Colonoscopy
Colonoscopy Colonoscopy is a procedure used to view the inside of the colon. Reasons for colonoscopy is to detect or diagnose diseases of the colon (Crohn's disease, ulcera...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis:

Colitis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colitis?

Colitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your colitis?