Viewer Comments: Colitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis (Symptoms, Types, and Treatments):

Colitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Colitis.

Comment from: Lindstrom gal, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I came home from a 4th of July picnic and started having mild cramps, which turned into the most severe cramps I ever had. I was horribly dizzy and sweating while having severe cramps. I finally got to go poo, but then I was going all the time. Upon wiping, my paper was stained with maroon blood, sometimes with little clots. This went on for a few days before I went to the hospital. I was diagnosed with infectious colitis. They gave me narcotics for the pain, infused water, and did a culture, which came back bacterial. I was put on antibiotics. Today (4th day) I am feeling pretty good, but I'm going to watch what I eat. Colitis is a horrible disease.

Comment from: wyomingcowboy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I have been diagnosed with collagenous colitis. I am seeking information about it. I have been prescribed Endocort but have not filled the prescription because it is horribly expensive. As much as a mortgage payment, for 30 days.

Comment from: Sharer, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 15

Everything I read mentions bloody stools. I do not have that but am told I have colitis.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: November 11

I went to the bathroom and suddenly I had excruciating pain. The pain was so intense that I began having cold sweats. By the third time going to the bathroom I was just bleeding. Any movement gave me severe abdominal pains. I am still in the hospital on day 3.

Comment from: realsis, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I always had bouts of diarrhea and this last bout put me in the hospital. My potassium dropped so low it was giving me heart palpitations. I was ordered to get a colonoscopy when I was discharged. The test will help determine the cause of the diarrhea bloating and pain. I just finished that test today and they said I have colitis. They took a biopsy and next appointment I'll find out the cause.

Comment from: Wellgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

Over 15 yrs ago, I began showing signs of autoimmune disease. During that time, I was also going through a very emotionally trying time. I had constant pain in my lower abdomen and other digestive related problems. I finally went to a doctor who diagnosed colitis. Since then I've had irritable bowel to go along with autoimmune flares. Not fun! Stress is the biggest trigger, overexertion is next. I've made some changes in my life such as changes in work and dietary changes, but apparently it is not enough as I still have symptoms occasionally.

Comment from: Will, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I started experiencing excruciating pain three days ago. I went to the ER and was diagnosed with colitis. The diarrhea was bloody. I still have bouts and seems not to be getting any better. I have been on Cipro and metronidazole for one day. I was put on clear liquids and the BRAT diet. The pain has gotten better.

Comment from: crazylady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I'm 56 years old and have always had a problem with constipation, even as a child. A few months ago, I started having severe pain in my right groin area. I went to the doctor and was tested, and the results showed "constipation and a thickening of the colon wall." I had a colonoscopy two years ago. I saw my GI doctor and had another colonoscopy. I was told had colitis and was given doxycycline for seven days.

Comment from: MO86, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was having horrible pain in my stomach, and I had nausea and diarrhea that was basically all bright red blood. It was very scary so I went to the ER and they gave me a strong antibiotic and kept me overnight to keep an eye on my bleeding. After three days, it's getting better. If this happens to you, don't freak out. Get checked out and you should be fine.

Comment from: icejuls, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

1. I am 53 years old. I was first diagnosed with colitis around 10 years ago. I have a 33-year -old son that was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis around eight years ago. I am what they call indeterminate colitis, they don't know which I have. I live in a small town in central Wisconsin. I know of at least 30 people in our town with one or the other forms of colitis. I have tried with no success talking to my doctor trying to find out if it is environmental. I am trying to find out if this maybe a factor because I have two small grandchildren. My son and I have been on different forms of treatment that do get us into remission. Some work for him, others for me. One other thing I find weird is we both get many, many canker sores usually before a flare up and have been told it was not a colitis symptom. Our canker sores do not respond to usual canker sore treatments.

Must Read Articles Related to Colitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Barium Enema
Barium Enema A barium enema is a diagnostic test that us ...learn more >>

Colitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your colitis?

Colitis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colitis?

Colitis - Types

What type of colitis do you have? Please share your experience with symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments.