Viewer Comments: Colitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis:

Colitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Colitis.

Comment from: realsis, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I always had bouts of diarrhea and this last bout put me in the hospital. My potassium dropped so low it was giving me heart palpitations. I was ordered to get a colonoscopy when I was discharged. The test will help determine the cause of the diarrhea bloating and pain. I just finished that test today and they said I have colitis. They took a biopsy and next appointment I'll find out the cause.

Comment from: Wellgirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

Over 15 yrs ago, I began showing signs of autoimmune disease. During that time, I was also going through a very emotionally trying time. I had constant pain in my lower abdomen and other digestive related problems. I finally went to a doctor who diagnosed colitis. Since then I've had irritable bowel to go along with autoimmune flares. Not fun! Stress is the biggest trigger, overexertion is next. I've made some changes in my life such as changes in work and dietary changes, but apparently it is not enough as I still have symptoms occasionally.

Comment from: Will, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 05

I started experiencing excruciating pain three days ago. I went to the ER and was diagnosed with colitis. The diarrhea was bloody. I still have bouts and seems not to be getting any better. I have been on Cipro and metronidazole for one day. I was put on clear liquids and the BRAT diet. The pain has gotten better.

Comment from: crazylady, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I'm 56 years old and have always had a problem with constipation, even as a child. A few months ago, I started having severe pain in my right groin area. I went to the doctor and was tested, and the results showed "constipation and a thickening of the colon wall." I had a colonoscopy two years ago. I saw my GI doctor and had another colonoscopy. I was told had colitis and was given doxycycline for seven days.

Comment from: MO86, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was having horrible pain in my stomach, and I had nausea and diarrhea that was basically all bright red blood. It was very scary so I went to the ER and they gave me a strong antibiotic and kept me overnight to keep an eye on my bleeding. After three days, it's getting better. If this happens to you, don't freak out. Get checked out and you should be fine.

Comment from: icejuls, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

1. I am 53 years old. I was first diagnosed with colitis around 10 years ago. I have a 33-year -old son that was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis around eight years ago. I am what they call indeterminate colitis, they don't know which I have. I live in a small town in central Wisconsin. I know of at least 30 people in our town with one or the other forms of colitis. I have tried with no success talking to my doctor trying to find out if it is environmental. I am trying to find out if this maybe a factor because I have two small grandchildren. My son and I have been on different forms of treatment that do get us into remission. Some work for him, others for me. One other thing I find weird is we both get many, many canker sores usually before a flare up and have been told it was not a colitis symptom. Our canker sores do not respond to usual canker sore treatments.

Comment from: Alice, 65-74 (Patient) Published: June 21

I have been diagnosed three times with colitis. I seem to go along for awhile and have halfway regular bowel movements. Then it starts up again, mostly diarrhea along with a growling stomach and chills. This is the most disturbing problem to have. I don't feel like I can go out the door for fear I will have a spell. It also depresses me and stays on my mind all the time. This latest episode has lasted for a couple of months and the doctor wants to do another colonoscopy. I am afraid they will find something worse. It is very upsetting.

Comment from: lock roache, 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 12

I get a bad colitis attach every six to nine months. I'm completely drained of energy and I lose weight because of this ailment. I have been on courses of steroids and I'm taking anti-inflammatory tablets. I have to very careful of what I eat. I wonder if I will always have this ailment.

Comment from: Irish Girl, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I am a 76-year-old woman and have just been diagnosed with lymphocytic colitis. I have had severe diarrhea for fifteen months and my Doctors have tried treating me for IBS, diverticulitis, and bacterial infection (after back surgery in Feb.) There was little pain, but a lot of gurgling and bubbling and I could feel the stool moving downward. No blood ever. Immodium and Beneiber helped some, but the medications given for the above conditions only gave me painful cramps. I changed gastroenterologists, had a colonoscopy and a diagnosis. A new medication was prescribed and I am waiting to see the results.

Must Read Articles Related to Colitis

Barium Enema
Barium Enema A barium enema is a diagnostic test that us performed to examine the colon and rectum for abnormalities. Barium enema may be ordered for a patient to identify i...learn more >>
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff, Antibiotic Related Colitis)
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff) Clostridium difficile (or C. difficile, C. diff) colitis is an infection of the colon. C. diff infection is most commonly associated with antibiotic use. Anothe...learn more >>
Colonoscopy Colonoscopy is a procedure used to view the inside of the colon. Reasons for colonoscopy is to detect or diagnose diseases of the colon (Crohn's disease, ulcera...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis:

Colitis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colitis?

Colitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your colitis?