Viewer Comments: Colitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis:

Colitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Colitis.

Comment from: dtb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I am a 57 year old female diagnosed with microscopic colitis. I was formally diagnosed with collageneous colitis 3 years ago, but have had symptoms for more than 15 years. I am currently under control and the only thing that really works for me when I have a relapse is Entocort and a wheat free/gluten diet. I have not been diagnosed with Celiac's disease, but believe I am intolerant to wheat and gluten. To keep myself stable I stay totally away from wheat and gluten. I make my own yogurt and eat that daily. I have learned that there are many things that have hidden gluten and it is important to educate yourself concerning this. The diet has you eliminate all carbohydrates initially but once stable, you can add back rice and non-wheat/gluten foods into your diet. The stricter you are the better you will feel and recover. Good luck!

Comment from: betty boo, Female Published: May 20

I've just been to the doctors with excruciating abdominal pain, the only way I could describe the pain was when I had an ectopic pregnancy. The doctor said it is colitis. If the tablets didn't work within 3 hours I had to go straight to the hospital, this kind of confused me so now I have to wait. It's been going on for 2 days. I am very drained the more I try to move the more pain I get. When I press in the area it is tender. I don't know what kind it is, but my husband had a similar pain a few days ago and now I have it. We both had Chinese this weekend, not long after he was in pain and doubled up with abdominal pain in one area and now I am too. I'm wondering could it be connected to what we both ate.

Comment from: Female (Caregiver) Published: March 23

I started off with a sore throat, painful right ear and fever for 2 days when I was started on antibiotics. After taking Augmentin 875mg twice daily for 3 days I developed the worst abdominal pain and cramping. That quickly accelerated to severe diarrhea (non bloody). After the third bowel movement in 1 hour I knew I had a serious problem. I immediately stopped taking the antibiotic, and only put clear liquids into my body for 24hrs. Still it was the worst 30hrs I can remember. Nothing would stay in my system. I continued to drink lots of water however to keep myself hydrated and let the diarrhea run its course. Because of my medical background I figured this was related to the antibiotic wiping out the good bacteria in my colon that keeps it healthy. It was just a matter of waiting till the antibiotic was out of my system and my gut had a chance to recover. I am so angry with myself for giving into job pressure to get better and do so quickly. The fact is all people get sick once in awhile and if we allow our own immune system a chance to fight most bacteria on its own it will do so and very effectively. Antibiotics should not be taken lightly; in the end I lost more time off from work and was a lot more sick and weaker than I would have been if I had just let my upper respiratory infection run its course. Rest, hydration, proper nutrients, and vitamin supplements to boost your own immune system in my opinion are the way to stay healthy and fight infection when you are not.

Comment from: tim, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I was in the Canadian military age 20 and had a tonsillectomy. The surgeon gave me penicillin which made me bleed internally. I was in the hospital for 1 1/2 weeks and on morphine to keep the pain down. I had told the surgeon that I had had 2-3 allergic reactions to penicillin(within the last 1 - 1 1/2) where I had to go to the doctor or emergency to get a shot to speed up the reaction. The surgeon said that I wasn't allergic and that I would be okay. He said I had colitis and years later when I was out of the military I went and had a colonoscopy which said that I had IBS(inflammatory bowel syndrome).

Related Reading: morphine

Comment from: allardp, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was diagnosed with colitis after having a c-section with my 4th child a little over a year ago. I have always had trouble using the bathroom, but mostly it was not being able to go. I was experiencing terrible stomach cramps, loose stools and I lost 30 pounds within a month of giving birth to my daughter. I also had major bloating issues. I finally went to my doctor after 2 months of suffering and discovered I had colitis. This was a relief to not be dying! I was given some type of good bacteria to balance me out. I noticed that most times when I experience symptoms it is due to greasy foods, soda, sweets, and coffee. So, I try to stay away from this foods and drinks. I have a few problems during my monthly cycle the cramps are terrible, but with medications I am ok.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am a 71 year old female. I was diagnosed with celiac sprue and microscopic collagenous colitis. With wheat free diet the diarrhea came under control. However in February all hell broke loose and I am still suffering from severe diarrhea and night time fecal incontinence with no relief in sight. I've tried Entocort, Pepto Bismol and at least two anti-diarrheas. I think stress must play a huge role in all this. I'm pretty much ready to just give up. All of my children live away as well as my dad and sister from me so I like to travel and visit them. I also like to travel with a group of friends and travel to take art workshops. I play a flute in a concert band and I want to keep doing these kinds of things. I keep telling myself hang in there. You'll make it through this as tears are streaming down my face and something brown streams down my legs.

Must Read Articles Related to Colitis

Barium Enema
Barium Enema A barium enema is a diagnostic test. During the test, the doctor puts a contrast material called barium into the rectum. Enough barium is given to fill up the c...learn more >>
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff, Antibiotic Related Colitis)
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff) Clostridium difficile (or C. difficile, C. diff) colitis is an infection of the colon. C. diff infection is most commonly associated with antibiotic use. Anothe...learn more >>
Colonoscopy
Colonoscopy Colonoscopy is a procedure used to view the inside of the colon. Reasons for colonoscopy is to detect or diagnose diseases of the colon (Crohn's disease, ulcera...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis:

Colitis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colitis?

Colitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your colitis?