Viewer Comments: Colitis - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis (Symptoms, Types, and Treatments):

Colitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Colitis.

...
Comment from: JCKC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I had been on an antibiotic for dental work shortly before I began experiencing severe cramping and bloody diarrhea. Tests for C. difficile came back negative and after losing 10 lb. in two weeks and given several IVs in the doctor's office, I was referred to a gastroenterologist. After a colonoscopy, I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I am on two medications (one permanently). My cramping and diarrhea have cleared up and I am starting to taper off the steroid I was prescribed. I had been in excellent health prior to this and because I don't know what caused the initial flare up, am always scared that it will happen again. Good luck to all that are struggling with colitis.

Comment from: BMWPGA, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

By the time I was 17, I'd been diagnosed as having ulcerative colitis. I've had those awful barium enemas, sigmoidoscopies and colonoscopies, had hemorrhoids removed and polyps cut out, and felt as though I'd spent half my life in the bathroom. I've been free of all that, and doing very well for the past 12 years. I'm in my mid-60s. My situation began to improve about 20 years ago, when I took control of my diet and really started to pay attention to my body. I learned I could not eat a lot of sweets, especially not ice cream, but any sugary sweets caused constipation. Dairy and red meat, fatty meats, processed meats, all caused constipation, and produced mucus in my stool. Certain types of vegetables and fruits were off limits. White bread was the enemy. As I became aware of their effects, and began to read about them, I realized these were things I needed to eliminate from my diet. Today, I eat only chicken and fish, and rarely, lean pork loin roasted in the oven. Lentils and pinto beans are my friends! I avoid gluten. I can eat yogurt and cottage cheese and no more than 1/2 cup of 2 percent milk. I just avoid anything with nitrates or nitrites. Oh, and no distilled alcohol. Just a little wine once in a great while. My regimen is hot water and lemon juice every morning, Metamucil, and probiotics daily, ideally at the same time every day. No white bread, or white rice. Only brown rice and sprouted whole grain wheat bread. I try to limit bread to one slice, three or four times a week. But even after changing my diet, I had a lot of room to improve. Vitamins, exercise, and drinking enough water are all part of my program. I can't stress enough how important daily exercise is. So water, fiber, probiotics, exercise, diet, and the last thing, vitamins.

Comment from: Annie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I have had collagenous colitis for 5 months. I am now suffering every day and taking at least 8 Imodium per day and breaking right through them. I was prescribed and was taking 3 Entocort tablets at one time, along with 2 Lomotil every 6 hours and still breaking through. I have absolutely no life because there is absolutely no warning. My doctor tells me it has nothing to do with what you eat. I now am being sent to a specialist and can't get in until November. I can't continue to live like this. I eat normally as my doctor says that this has nothing to do with what you eat. I am at my wits end.

Comment from: dtb, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I am a 57 year old female diagnosed with microscopic colitis. I was formally diagnosed with collageneous colitis 3 years ago, but have had symptoms for more than 15 years. I am currently under control and the only thing that really works for me when I have a relapse is Entocort and a wheat free/gluten diet. I have not been diagnosed with Celiac's disease, but believe I am intolerant to wheat and gluten. To keep myself stable I stay totally away from wheat and gluten. I make my own yogurt and eat that daily. I have learned that there are many things that have hidden gluten and it is important to educate yourself concerning this. The diet has you eliminate all carbohydrates initially but once stable, you can add back rice and non-wheat/gluten foods into your diet. The stricter you are the better you will feel and recover. Good luck!

Comment from: what a chance, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I am 32 years old. I went to the hospital after feeling sick in my stomach. My doctor asked me to do endoscopy and confirmed I have infections in my stomach due to Helicobacter pylori. I took 2 antibiotics for ten days but was not cured and later I took another test. The result is positive for H. pylori. Now I am taking another antibiotic and hope to have good result. But my doctor also advised me to have colonoscopy and biopsy and I was told another bad news of colitis but I do not know what type of colitis. I am on the way to go to another doctor.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Colitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Barium Enema
Barium Enema A barium enema is a diagnostic test that us ...learn more >>

Colitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your colitis?

Colitis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colitis?

Colitis - Types

What type of colitis do you have? Please share your experience with symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments.