Viewer Comments: Colitis - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis:

Colitis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colitis?

Comment from: bon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I have had ulcerative colitis since I was 18. Three years ago I got very sick with a carbuncle that poisoned my system and then the antibiotics made it worse. Someone mentioned to me that I need to take a probiotic. Probiotics are good bacteria that eat the bad. Probiotics have live bacteria, so you have to keep them in the refrigerator. I have tried other kinds and these work the best for me.

Comment from: georgina6, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I was diagnosed with colitis about 40 years ago I am now in my 60s. Until the last couple of years I have been fairly clear of attacks but picked up a Norovirus about 18 months ago and since then have regular attacks, with excruciating pain, passing blood and wind. I am unable to take traditional drugs as they make me worse and have found that the herb Slippery Elm which coats the intestines really helps. It allows the bowel to heal naturally. I also take probiotic tablets regularly and also manuka honey. I have to be careful with my diet and avoid dairy and gluten. This last attack was my own fault as I succumbed to cream cheese and am now paying the price.

Comment from: neelie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I seemed to be a little constipated the day or so before. I awoke in the middle of the night with a pain in my left side. I started feeling more pain in all of stomach and went to the bathroom. The pain became extreme and I felt like wanting to vomit. I think I had some bowel movement. The pain so severe my husband called 911. I spent 5 days in hospital and felt weak and got a colonoscopy. On IV and bland diet. Doctor said I had colitis and one very small diverticulosis and it was an infection. I got antibiotics through the IV. I had about 3 previous diverticulosis attacks, and somehow don't believe it was colitis, but diverticulosis because it was the same symptoms as that. He also said there was a piece of stool far back in my colon.

Comment from: indrajit, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I am a confirmed patient of colitis which developed 5/6 years back, and I still have this disease. From the beginning I had fever, headache, neck pain, diarrhea, stomach tenderness, heartburn, etc. I was diagnosed as different diseases like heart problems, fever, etc. After suffering a lot the actual disease was diagnosed.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I've been dealing with it for about three years now. I get diarrhea, excruciating abdominal pain and dehydration. Just left the ER yesterday had to get rehydrated via IV. I feel awful

Comment from: sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

Just came home after a nine-day hospital stay. I was diagnosed with colitis. It started out with vomiting and diarrhea, then severe stomach cramps and much more diarrhea. I got hydrated and sent home from ER three times. I went back in an ambulance the fourth time, admitted, and given an IV w/Levaquin Flagyl and saline, and morphine for pain. Have lost 20 pounds in one month. I was discharged in 3 days and went to another hospital in an ambulance in two days. I stayed for six days with the same diagnosis. I had not eaten in one month! I had diarrhea the day they discharged me, but insurance said I had to go.

Comment from: Female-San Antonio, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

Not only do I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), I am also diagnosed as Celiac Disease (severe gluten intolerance--oats, wheat, rye, and barley). I was diagnosed with colitis many years ago and was on medication, but I do believe it has flared up again. I have begun experiencing water stools with blood and mucus and running to the bathroom constantly. Just decided to call my Gastro doctor for an appointment. It is really difficult to work, travel to and from the office, and also deal with this. I literally have a small porta-potty I carry in my car for emergencies and locate the bathroom every time we eat out.

Comment from: Beverly, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I am 81 years old and I have had constipation problems for years. I was recently in the hospital, and I fainted with intense pain in abdomen, resulting in violent vomiting and constant diarrhea. I was diagnosed with ischemic colitis.

Must Read Articles Related to Colitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Barium Enema
Barium Enema A barium enema is a diagnostic test that us performed to examine the colon and rectum for abnormalities. Barium enema may be ordered for a patient to identify i...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis:

Colitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your colitis?

Colitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Colitis.