Viewer Comments: Colitis - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis:

Colitis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colitis?

Comment from: sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

Just came home after a nine-day hospital stay. I was diagnosed with colitis. It started out with vomiting and diarrhea, then severe stomach cramps and much more diarrhea. I got hydrated and sent home from ER three times. I went back in an ambulance the fourth time, admitted, and given an IV w/Levaquin Flagyl and saline, and morphine for pain. Have lost 20 pounds in one month. I was discharged in 3 days and went to another hospital in an ambulance in two days. I stayed for six days with the same diagnosis. I had not eaten in one month! I had diarrhea the day they discharged me, but insurance said I had to go.

Comment from: Female-San Antonio, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 08

Not only do I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), I am also diagnosed as Celiac Disease (severe gluten intolerance--oats, wheat, rye, and barley). I was diagnosed with colitis many years ago and was on medication, but I do believe it has flared up again. I have begun experiencing water stools with blood and mucus and running to the bathroom constantly. Just decided to call my Gastro doctor for an appointment. It is really difficult to work, travel to and from the office, and also deal with this. I literally have a small porta-potty I carry in my car for emergencies and locate the bathroom every time we eat out.

Comment from: Beverly, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I am 81 years old and I have had constipation problems for years. I was recently in the hospital, and I fainted with intense pain in abdomen, resulting in violent vomiting and constant diarrhea. I was diagnosed with ischemic colitis.

Comment from: Vicky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

Severe abdominal pain, diarrhea, bloating.

Comment from: naf8070, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I have very bad cramps and watery stools. I have been to the hospital and was told I had colitis. They also said I have PAD. The doctors want me to have stents inserted but I have no insurance. I have watery stools at least four times a day and have awakened during the night, and did not know I soiled myself. I have done this several times.

Published: April 10

I've had colitis for little less than six years now. I have occasional nausea and abdominal pain but the diarrhea is the worst part. Sometimes I get no warning. I can't always get to the bathroom before I have an accident. My female family members all have it and experience the same symptoms but nothing is worse than getting awakened up out of a deep sleep to run to the bathroom so you don't soil your bed and clothes.

Comment from: kclark5180, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 15

Strangely, I haven't had diarrhea, just severe pain on my right side. I went to the ER thinking I was having problems with my gallbladder or appendix, but the CT scan showed colitis.

Comment from: helpinohio, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 02

My husband has been sick for four years just recently was told it was colitis. He has abdominal pain at least six days straight every month and was in the ER 26 times last year. He has had to retire at the age of 45. It is very stressful.

Comment from: gopi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I was on a dinner cruise and started abdominal pain. My pain was not so severe. About an hour later I had excruciating abdominal pain and I fainted. A few minutes later I had a bloody bowel movement. I didn't have any loose stool anymore but every time I had an urge only blood came out. I had a CT scan and my doctor told me I have colitis. I am on an antibiotic now. I don't have diarrhea. I still have stomach cramps.

Comment from: JGVat, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: December 13

I am 86, in reasonably good health, and have recently developed an intermittent colitis as evidenced by occasionally loose stools.

Must Read Articles Related to Colitis

Barium Enema
Barium Enema A barium enema is a diagnostic test that us performed to examine the colon and rectum for abnormalities. Barium enema may be ordered for a patient to identify i...learn more >>
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff, Antibiotic Related Colitis)
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff) Clostridium difficile (or C. difficile, C. diff) colitis is an infection of the colon. C. diff infection is most commonly associated with antibiotic use. Anothe...learn more >>
Colonoscopy
Colonoscopy Colonoscopy is a procedure used to view the inside of the colon. Reasons for colonoscopy is to detect or diagnose diseases of the colon (Crohn's disease, ulcera...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis:

Colitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Colitis.

Colitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your colitis?