Viewer Comments: Colitis - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis (Symptoms, Types, and Treatments):

Colitis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colitis?

...
Comment from: sheila 0770, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

After two days of horrible pain and stools that was only blood I went to the emergency room. I spent 8 hours there and finally got diagnosed with colitis. I don't know where to go from here. I was put on two different antibiotics and am waiting to see my doctor.

Comment from: anon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was diagnosed 5 years ago with mild ulcerative colitis (UC) after going through a year of abdominal pain and misdiagnosis that caused me to lose an ovary. I rarely have diarrhea but have had a couple of accidents and they involved work as well as home. Mine is mostly constipation with left side gut wrenching abdominal pain and horrendous gas. Most of the time I can't tell anymore If I need to go or not, hence the accidents at work. I've noticed the worse the gas, the more the urgency seems to be. Which is the lesser of 2 evils, diarrhea or constipation! Being able to have a bowel movement or not for days to a week at a time. I have the fatigue, fevers, night sweats (thought that was due to menopause) and no appetite because I can't tell anymore if the pain is because I'm hungry or it is due to the UC, and I'm scared to ingest anything. I also developed internal hemorrhoids so even when I do get the chance to expel, I feel like my backside is on fire all the time. Thanks for talking about the mucus part. I didn't know about that and thought some weird things when I saw that because it was orange. I find lying down for a few hours and not moving, helps with the abdominal pain. I am also trying the probiotic trick. After 5 years I have learned which foods are a trigger for excessive pain and avoid those in my diet. The main one was red meat. Lately the other one has been dairy. I drink Silk now and there was an immediate difference. I'm glad I found this site.

Comment from: norm, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

The pain was so intense I thought of suicide, I had to sit to pass urine, the worst pain in the world. Cramps, then a drop of stool for 5 hours, then a large stool with a lot of water; the colitis goes on for days and then goes away for months.

Comment from: beckychastain123@ver, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

My first attack of colitis was at age 8 out in the farm's outhouse. My mom was with me and carried me inside. I rarely had episodes as a teen but they increased in duration and severity. Mine starts with a sudden urge of diarrhea, and I get so hot that sweat pours off. Since I've been older I can't lie on the bathroom floor to stay close for the next round of diarrhea so I have to make it back to my bed. I've been passing out and falling more and more. After the sweats I get cold and shiver for a while but that's usually the signal that it's over. Some episodes last a few hours and some up to a week. Two weeks ago I just had two rounds of sweats and diarrhea. But the chills were worse and lasted about 6 hours even with several blankets and heating pad. I was so thirsty and kept drinking water. When my home provider came she got in touch with my family and I went to the emergency room (ER) with bad dehydration, damaged kidneys, very low blood pressure and the worst backache ever. I spent a week with IV fluids, sting antibiotics, potassium three times, clear fluids, and 8 Imodium a day. Now I've been home for a week with two antibiotics, the same Imodium, on fluids and now stepping up to soft foods but I still have diarrhea all day and night. I've fought delusions and the worse shakes you can imagine. My mom had the same thing and three others in the family have much simpler episodes. The hospital gave her lots of tests during the 70s but never found anything. I'm waiting on biopsy reports to find what type it is and the treatments to help. The ER doctors said I made it just in time or I'd have died.

Comment from: Bebe, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I just had a colonoscopy and was told I have colitis. I do not have rectal bleeding, stomach pain or diarrhea.

Comment from: mrsrag, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 09

My granddaughter has been sick with vomit and nausea and the doctor informed her mother that she suffered from colitis. She does not have diarrhea.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Colitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Barium Enema
Barium Enema A barium enema is a diagnostic test that us ...learn more >>

Colitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your colitis?

Colitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Colitis.

Colitis - Types

What type of colitis do you have? Please share your experience with symptoms, diagnosis, and treatments.