Viewer Comments: Colitis - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis:

Colitis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colitis?

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I got violently ill after a 4th of July cookout and by the third morning of running to the toilet every one to two hours. Noticed bloody mucous as well in the diarrhea. Went to my primary after a week and got lab tests; all blood work and stools came back normal. Had to go to e.r. twice to get rehydrated and finally they advised go to a gastro doctor which I did and just had colonoscopy which confirmed ulcerative colitis. He said this is auto-immune related disease and stays with you for life and you need to be on meds. and steroids (prednisone, temporarily) to keep it in remission and reduce episodes. It is quite life altering and as a previous writer noted, I need to make sure I don't eat or drink much before I go out in order to feel safe. Never had this before in my life and I also had taken antibiotics for dental work shortly before my attack, but they ruled out C-diff infection. Good luck to all!

Comment from: Blondie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I began experiencing bloody diarrhea and mucus in the stools at 28 years of age. I was given a prescription with so many side effects that I decided to look into controlling the disease with diet. I have had two other relapses, the last being over 15 years ago. During the last relapse I went to a very good Naturopathic Physician who told me I was full of Candida and he helped me get rid of it. No Colitis ever since. I just had a colonoscopy in the past 9 months and was given a clean bill of colon health! I am positive that diet is the answer, but a person must see a good Naturopathic or Homeopathic doctor. Things didn't look so well for me 30 years ago, but I can say I am happy I did what I did and didn't settle for drugs with all the side effects.

Comment from: bon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I have had ulcerative colitis since I was 18. Three years ago I got very sick with a carbuncle that poisoned my system and then the antibiotics made it worse. Someone mentioned to me that I need to take a probiotic. Probiotics are good bacteria that eat the bad. Probiotics have live bacteria, so you have to keep them in the refrigerator. I have tried other kinds and these work the best for me.

Comment from: georgina6, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I was diagnosed with colitis about 40 years ago I am now in my 60s. Until the last couple of years I have been fairly clear of attacks but picked up a Norovirus about 18 months ago and since then have regular attacks, with excruciating pain, passing blood and wind. I am unable to take traditional drugs as they make me worse and have found that the herb Slippery Elm which coats the intestines really helps. It allows the bowel to heal naturally. I also take probiotic tablets regularly and also manuka honey. I have to be careful with my diet and avoid dairy and gluten. This last attack was my own fault as I succumbed to cream cheese and am now paying the price.

Comment from: neelie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I seemed to be a little constipated the day or so before. I awoke in the middle of the night with a pain in my left side. I started feeling more pain in all of stomach and went to the bathroom. The pain became extreme and I felt like wanting to vomit. I think I had some bowel movement. The pain so severe my husband called 911. I spent 5 days in hospital and felt weak and got a colonoscopy. On IV and bland diet. Doctor said I had colitis and one very small diverticulosis and it was an infection. I got antibiotics through the IV. I had about 3 previous diverticulosis attacks, and somehow don't believe it was colitis, but diverticulosis because it was the same symptoms as that. He also said there was a piece of stool far back in my colon.

Comment from: indrajit, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I am a confirmed patient of colitis which developed 5/6 years back, and I still have this disease. From the beginning I had fever, headache, neck pain, diarrhea, stomach tenderness, heartburn, etc. I was diagnosed as different diseases like heart problems, fever, etc. After suffering a lot the actual disease was diagnosed.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I've been dealing with it for about three years now. I get diarrhea, excruciating abdominal pain and dehydration. Just left the ER yesterday had to get rehydrated via IV. I feel awful

Must Read Articles Related to Colitis

Barium Enema
Barium Enema A barium enema is a diagnostic test that us performed to examine the colon and rectum for abnormalities. Barium enema may be ordered for a patient to identify i...learn more >>
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff, Antibiotic Related Colitis)
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff) Clostridium difficile (or C. difficile, C. diff) colitis is an infection of the colon. C. diff infection is most commonly associated with antibiotic use. Anothe...learn more >>
Colonoscopy
Colonoscopy Colonoscopy is a procedure used to view the inside of the colon. Reasons for colonoscopy is to detect or diagnose diseases of the colon (Crohn's disease, ulcera...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis:

Colitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your colitis?

Colitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Colitis.