Viewer Comments: Colitis - Symptoms and Signs

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis:

Colitis - Symptoms and Signs

What symptoms and signs did you experience with colitis?

Comment from: norm, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

The pain was so intense I thought of suicide, I had to sit to pass urine, the worst pain in the world. Cramps, then a drop of stool for 5 hours, then a large stool with a lot of water; the colitis goes on for days and then goes away for months.

Comment from: beckychastain123@ver, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

My first attack of colitis was at age 8 out in the farm's outhouse. My mom was with me and carried me inside. I rarely had episodes as a teen but they increased in duration and severity. Mine starts with a sudden urge of diarrhea, and I get so hot that sweat pours off. Since I've been older I can't lie on the bathroom floor to stay close for the next round of diarrhea so I have to make it back to my bed. I've been passing out and falling more and more. After the sweats I get cold and shiver for a while but that's usually the signal that it's over. Some episodes last a few hours and some up to a week. Two weeks ago I just had two rounds of sweats and diarrhea. But the chills were worse and lasted about 6 hours even with several blankets and heating pad. I was so thirsty and kept drinking water. When my home provider came she got in touch with my family and I went to the emergency room (ER) with bad dehydration, damaged kidneys, very low blood pressure and the worst backache ever. I spent a week with IV fluids, sting antibiotics, potassium three times, clear fluids, and 8 Imodium a day. Now I've been home for a week with two antibiotics, the same Imodium, on fluids and now stepping up to soft foods but I still have diarrhea all day and night. I've fought delusions and the worse shakes you can imagine. My mom had the same thing and three others in the family have much simpler episodes. The hospital gave her lots of tests during the 70s but never found anything. I'm waiting on biopsy reports to find what type it is and the treatments to help. The ER doctors said I made it just in time or I'd have died.

Comment from: Bebe, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I just had a colonoscopy and was told I have colitis. I do not have rectal bleeding, stomach pain or diarrhea.

Comment from: mrsrag, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 09

My granddaughter has been sick with vomit and nausea and the doctor informed her mother that she suffered from colitis. She does not have diarrhea.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I got violently ill after a 4th of July cookout and by the third morning of running to the toilet every one to two hours. Noticed bloody mucous as well in the diarrhea. Went to my primary after a week and got lab tests; all blood work and stools came back normal. Had to go to e.r. twice to get rehydrated and finally they advised go to a gastro doctor which I did and just had colonoscopy which confirmed ulcerative colitis. He said this is auto-immune related disease and stays with you for life and you need to be on meds. and steroids (prednisone, temporarily) to keep it in remission and reduce episodes. It is quite life altering and as a previous writer noted, I need to make sure I don't eat or drink much before I go out in order to feel safe. Never had this before in my life and I also had taken antibiotics for dental work shortly before my attack, but they ruled out C-diff infection. Good luck to all!

Comment from: Blondie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I began experiencing bloody diarrhea and mucus in the stools at 28 years of age. I was given a prescription with so many side effects that I decided to look into controlling the disease with diet. I have had two other relapses, the last being over 15 years ago. During the last relapse I went to a very good Naturopathic Physician who told me I was full of Candida and he helped me get rid of it. No Colitis ever since. I just had a colonoscopy in the past 9 months and was given a clean bill of colon health! I am positive that diet is the answer, but a person must see a good Naturopathic or Homeopathic doctor. Things didn't look so well for me 30 years ago, but I can say I am happy I did what I did and didn't settle for drugs with all the side effects.

Comment from: judy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I was recently diagnosed with colitis after a colonoscopy. My doctor said it was probably from the radiation I received for anal cancer five years ago. After my treatment, I didn't have a bowel movement to speak of for several months. I've tried changing my diet and it's helped somewhat, but I'm hungry for regular food.

Must Read Articles Related to Colitis

Abdominal Pain (Adults)
Abdominal Pain in Adults Abdominal pain in adults can range from a mild stomach ache to severe pain. Examples of causes of abdominal pain in adults include appendicitis, gallbladder dis...learn more >>
Abdominal Pain in Children
Abdominal Pain in Children Abdominal pain in children can range from trivial to life-threatening. Some possible causes of abdominal pain in children are: infections, food related (food al...learn more >>
Barium Enema
Barium Enema A barium enema is a diagnostic test that us performed to examine the colon and rectum for abnormalities. Barium enema may be ordered for a patient to identify i...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colitis:

Colitis - Treatment

What was the treatment for your colitis?

Colitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Colitis.