Viewer Comments: Pneumothorax - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax):

Pneumothorax - Causes

What was the cause of your pneumothorax?

Comment from: Shannon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

My first pneumothorax was in 2005. I had a severe cold for an extended period of time and had been going to a school clinic every week or two for additional help. I had been coughing uncontrollably and at one moment it felt like the "wind was knocked out of me." I went to the doctor and was sent home. They called back to say that it looked like I had a collapse and they were trying to get me an appointment with a lung specialist. I ended up going to the emergency and having surgery a few hours later. Between 2005 and 2010, I had several recurrences. Many were documented as 5-10%, but since I had the pleurodesis during the first surgery, my surgeon thought I was having problems with anxiety even though the recurrences were documented by X-ray (he didn't think I should be able to feel the small collapses). Fast forward to today, 3 additional surgeries later, I am 2 months out of my last surgery), and I feel awful every day. I'm back at work and pretty much pretending to be fine, but it really, really stinks. This last surgery seems to have been the worst of all. I keep trying to remind myself that it has only been 2 months.

Comment from: Louise, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I was sleeping. I live alone, and I woke up one morning with a sore chest. As the day went on, the pain got worse and it became harder to breathe. I have high blood pressure and take medication to control it. My heart was beating faster and faster. I couldn't breathe in, only out. I waited until after lunch to go to hospital. When I got there, thinking I was having a heart attack, they stabilized me. Although I felt a bit better, I knew something was wrong. It felt like I had air in my chest and kept describing an "air bubble" in my chest. They kept me in hospital overnight. I could hear the air in my chest. It wasn't until lunch time the next day that I had x-rays taken and discovered my whole left lung had collapsed. It took till later that day for the doctors to put a chest tube in. It stayed in for three days, then fell out. Within minutes of the tube falling out, I felt the symptoms happening again. Within half an hour, my lung had collapsed again. The second procedure was the worst pain I'd ever been through.

Comment from: healthy now i hope, Male (Patient) Published: May 31

I am 38, tall, thin, and used to smoke. I had a spontaneous pneumothorax on the left side. I was simply driving on a dirt road and it 100% collapsed. The pain started in my shoulder, and within about three minutes, it was up and down my arm. i could only take tiny breaths with a pain level of about 7 out of 10. After two days (and no one's fault but my own), it progressed to tension pneumothorax. After 10 days in hospital and one operation, I'm home again. This same thing also happened to my uncle.

Comment from: Kb, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

Endometriosis of the lung caused my lung to collapse.

Comment from: Student, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I went into the ER via ambulance for shortness of breath, chest pain, and cyanosis of the fingers and toes. It was discovered that I had a spontaneous pneumothorax through physical examination upon which a chest tube was inserted as I had fleeting consciousness and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). The pulmonologist I saw in the ICU explained to me that the collapse was due to a strong diaphragm and violent coughing, as I had been sick for about a week prior. My outpatient pulmonologist is doing a sweat chloride test and a blood test to see if I have cystic fibrosis due to the diagnosis of diabetes mellitus at age four. I am 5'0" (152 cm) tall and weighed 125 lbs (57kg) at the time of the event so evidently not a tall and thin person. I have the sweat chloride test tomorrow so we'll find out if the spontaneous pneumothorax was due to a mild case of cystic fibrosis.

Comment from: Grateful Breather, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I suffered my first collapse in 2007. I waited for several hours in the waiting room. After the chest X-ray, a code was called and I was told they were afraid I was going to have cardiac arrest and die. A chest tube was put in and I spent 20 days in the hospital and lost 36 pounds. After release, I was a bag of bones. I suffered a second collapse in 2012. I had VATS surgery with Pleurectomy the next day. Five days later I was released. All these months later, I still do not feel fully recovered. I am a non-smoker and a healthy gym hound. I still get random pains from it.

Comment from: CMM, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 11

I had a mountain bike accident last year and landed hard on the side of my chest. I did not break any ribs, but the force of the fall ruptured the top of my left lung. I quickly developed shortness of breath and a crushing pain in my sternum. For a moment I thought that I was having a heart attack. The paramedics and mountain rescue services evacuated me to hospital and my chest was aspired with a needle. The lung collapse was approximately 40%.

Must Read Articles Related to Collapsed Lung

Bronchoscopy Bronchoscopy is performed to view the inside of a person's airway and lungs. There are two types of bronchoscopy, 1) rigid bronchoscopy and 2) flexible bronchos...learn more >>
Chest Pain
Chest Pain Overview Chest pain has a variety of noncardiac and cardiac causes, some of which can be very serious. Signs and symptoms of chest pain may include burning, squeezing, o...learn more >>
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax):

Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.

Collapsed Lung - Treatment

What was the treatment for your collapsed lung?

Collapsed Lung - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your collapsed lung?