Viewer Comments: Pneumothorax - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax):

Pneumothorax - Causes

What was the cause of your pneumothorax?

Comment from: Student, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I went into the ER via ambulance for shortness of breath, chest pain, and cyanosis of the fingers and toes. It was discovered that I had a spontaneous pneumothorax through physical examination upon which a chest tube was inserted as I had fleeting consciousness and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). The pulmonologist I saw in the ICU explained to me that the collapse was due to a strong diaphragm and violent coughing, as I had been sick for about a week prior. My outpatient pulmonologist is doing a sweat chloride test and a blood test to see if I have cystic fibrosis due to the diagnosis of diabetes mellitus at age four. I am 5'0" (152 cm) tall and weighed 125 lbs (57kg) at the time of the event so evidently not a tall and thin person. I have the sweat chloride test tomorrow so we'll find out if the spontaneous pneumothorax was due to a mild case of cystic fibrosis.

Comment from: Grateful Breather, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I suffered my first collapse in 2007. I waited for several hours in the waiting room. After the chest X-ray, a code was called and I was told they were afraid I was going to have cardiac arrest and die. A chest tube was put in and I spent 20 days in the hospital and lost 36 pounds. After release, I was a bag of bones. I suffered a second collapse in 2012. I had VATS surgery with Pleurectomy the next day. Five days later I was released. All these months later, I still do not feel fully recovered. I am a non-smoker and a healthy gym hound. I still get random pains from it.

Comment from: CMM, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 11

I had a mountain bike accident last year and landed hard on the side of my chest. I did not break any ribs, but the force of the fall ruptured the top of my left lung. I quickly developed shortness of breath and a crushing pain in my sternum. For a moment I thought that I was having a heart attack. The paramedics and mountain rescue services evacuated me to hospital and my chest was aspired with a needle. The lung collapse was approximately 40%.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

IMS (intramuscular stimulation) done by a physiotherapist was the cause of mine. I ended up with a Heimlich valve at home for three days. My physio was very reputable and the most experienced in our area. A pneumothorax is a very real risk when any needling is done over the ribs.

Comment from: College student, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

When I was 17 I had my first pneumothorax. I was knocked out and it was an easy time. I spent four days in the hospital. I was fine for a good year, playing and running fine. I'm 18 now, and a few weeks ago I had another spontaneous pneumothorax. It hurt so badly. My back felt like it was being stabbed and bending down felt like my heart was falling out of my mouth. I was rushed to the hospital where I got a chest tube which was excruciating. I could feel the tube go in and the air moving around. Then, I was fine. I spent another four days in the hospital and the doctor took it out. The lung collapsed again and I had to get surgery.

Comment from: Peter1973, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I suffered a large tension pneumothorax in 2006 following a mountain bike accident in local woodland. I was knocked out and was lucky enough to have been found by a healthcare worker who realized I was in a lot of trouble! I do not remember much of what happened, but I do recall feeling very weak and in immense pain every time I inhaled air.

Comment from: IamMorges, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 27

My grandmother's left lung collapsed after a bronchoscopy was performed. They had to put in a chest tube. Will she be okay?

Comment from: Amy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I had pneumothorax 2 years ago. One day when I was walking, my left back was very painful and I was a little but dizzy. I thought it was due to my heavy bag so I used a backpack and it seemed better. I then often feel the back pain and I cough. I have consulted the doctor but he said it was just muscle pain and coughing so he gave me medicines to treat these symptoms. Of course it could not help. A month later, one day morning I ran to the exam venue. I then consulted another doctor in my campus and he told me it might be pneumothorax. I was so lucky that i was still running that morning for my exam! then i was sent to the hospital and got diagnosed as the spontaneous one. My lung collapsed for the second time when the doctor took out the tube. Therefore I stayed in the hospital for two weeks. Later when I was discharged, though feel loved, was annoyed by people misunderstands the spontaneousity and saying that I was stressed so I got it.

Must Read Articles Related to Collapsed Lung

Bronchoscopy
Bronchoscopy Bronchoscopy is performed to view the inside of a person's airway and lungs. There are two types of bronchoscopy, 1) rigid bronchoscopy and 2) flexible bronchos...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax):

Collapsed Lung - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your collapsed lung?

Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.