Viewer Comments: Pneumothorax - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax):

Pneumothorax - Causes

What was the cause of your pneumothorax?

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

IMS (intramuscular stimulation) done by a physiotherapist was the cause of mine. I ended up with a Heimlich valve at home for three days. My physio was very reputable and the most experienced in our area. A pneumothorax is a very real risk when any needling is done over the ribs.

Comment from: College student, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 18

When I was 17 I had my first pneumothorax. I was knocked out and it was an easy time. I spent four days in the hospital. I was fine for a good year, playing and running fine. I'm 18 now, and a few weeks ago I had another spontaneous pneumothorax. It hurt so badly. My back felt like it was being stabbed and bending down felt like my heart was falling out of my mouth. I was rushed to the hospital where I got a chest tube which was excruciating. I could feel the tube go in and the air moving around. Then, I was fine. I spent another four days in the hospital and the doctor took it out. The lung collapsed again and I had to get surgery.

Comment from: Peter1973, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 13

I suffered a large tension pneumothorax in 2006 following a mountain bike accident in local woodland. I was knocked out and was lucky enough to have been found by a healthcare worker who realized I was in a lot of trouble! I do not remember much of what happened, but I do recall feeling very weak and in immense pain every time I inhaled air.

Comment from: IamMorges, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: February 27

My grandmother's left lung collapsed after a bronchoscopy was performed. They had to put in a chest tube. Will she be okay?

Comment from: Amy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 22

I had pneumothorax 2 years ago. One day when I was walking, my left back was very painful and I was a little but dizzy. I thought it was due to my heavy bag so I used a backpack and it seemed better. I then often feel the back pain and I cough. I have consulted the doctor but he said it was just muscle pain and coughing so he gave me medicines to treat these symptoms. Of course it could not help. A month later, one day morning I ran to the exam venue. I then consulted another doctor in my campus and he told me it might be pneumothorax. I was so lucky that i was still running that morning for my exam! then i was sent to the hospital and got diagnosed as the spontaneous one. My lung collapsed for the second time when the doctor took out the tube. Therefore I stayed in the hospital for two weeks. Later when I was discharged, though feel loved, was annoyed by people misunderstands the spontaneousity and saying that I was stressed so I got it.

Comment from: arrie822, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I had a spontaneous pneumothorax while in jail. It was my left side of my chest and it hurt so bad I was passing out and coming to when I couldn't stand the pain. The sheriff took me to the hospital. The doctor sent me back to jail saying that I was only there to get out of jail and that I was doing it for the attention. About five minutes from the jail the sheriff got a call saying that I needed to return cause my lung had popped like a balloon and collapsed. I spent five days in the hospital and told to stay below 3000 feet in altitude. The pain was like nothing I ever felt before.

Comment from: Blessed, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I had a spontaneous pneumothorax after eating. I had been working out running and free weights. I was going to see my Doctor that next week on a Wed. I had been walking around for about 5 days with a collapsed lung. I saw my Doctor I told him what happen and he had me take a chest X-ray. This ishow I found out that I had a collapsed lung. It was a miracle that I was able to walk around and take care of my kids during that time.

Comment from: katfreder, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 05

A friend of mine had a collapsed lung and her doctor told her that having her period can cause this. I've never heard of such a thing.

Comment from: Alex, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

On May 2011, I went to Alaska, from Florida for a 7 day cruise. The first 2 days we spent in Anchorage and we were just walking around touring the city and I had some lunch and about 40 minutes later I was experiencing some awful pain in the middle of my chest. It started to radiate to my left shoulder and then in my back, under my shoulder bone. They said it was a spontaneous pneumothorax. I have never smoked, had any injuries or recently fallen. The doctor does not attribute the 7 hour flight either. I am just paranoid about it recurring. I keep reading about that chance. Hope all of you are doing better.

Must Read Articles Related to Collapsed Lung

Bronchoscopy Bronchoscopy is performed to view the inside of a person's airway and lungs. There are two types of bronchoscopy, 1) rigid bronchoscopy and 2) flexible bronchos...learn more >>
Chest Pain
Chest Pain Overview Chest pain has a variety of noncardiac and cardiac causes, some of which can be very serious. Signs and symptoms of chest pain may include burning, squeezing, o...learn more >>
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax):

Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.

Collapsed Lung - Treatment

What was the treatment for your collapsed lung?

Collapsed Lung - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your collapsed lung?