Viewer Comments: Pneumothorax - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax):

Pneumothorax - Causes

What was the cause of your pneumothorax?

Comment from: arrie822, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I had a spontaneous pneumothorax while in jail. It was my left side of my chest and it hurt so bad I was passing out and coming to when I couldn't stand the pain. The sheriff took me to the hospital. The doctor sent me back to jail saying that I was only there to get out of jail and that I was doing it for the attention. About five minutes from the jail the sheriff got a call saying that I needed to return cause my lung had popped like a balloon and collapsed. I spent five days in the hospital and told to stay below 3000 feet in altitude. The pain was like nothing I ever felt before.

Comment from: Blessed, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I had a spontaneous pneumothorax after eating. I had been working out running and free weights. I was going to see my Doctor that next week on a Wed. I had been walking around for about 5 days with a collapsed lung. I saw my Doctor I told him what happen and he had me take a chest X-ray. This ishow I found out that I had a collapsed lung. It was a miracle that I was able to walk around and take care of my kids during that time.

Comment from: katfreder, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 05

A friend of mine had a collapsed lung and her doctor told her that having her period can cause this. I've never heard of such a thing.

Comment from: Alex, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

On May 2011, I went to Alaska, from Florida for a 7 day cruise. The first 2 days we spent in Anchorage and we were just walking around touring the city and I had some lunch and about 40 minutes later I was experiencing some awful pain in the middle of my chest. It started to radiate to my left shoulder and then in my back, under my shoulder bone. They said it was a spontaneous pneumothorax. I have never smoked, had any injuries or recently fallen. The doctor does not attribute the 7 hour flight either. I am just paranoid about it recurring. I keep reading about that chance. Hope all of you are doing better.

Comment from: Chip, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I had a respiratory infection that lingered for 8 weeks despite 3 series of antibiotics, inhalers, and medicines. I experienced extremely violent coughing bouts and about 8 days of minimal sleep. Suddenly I could only draw about a quarter breath and called 911. I spent the next four days in the hospital and have been out from work for four weeks.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 15

While sitting at my computer at work on day in January, I sneezed (no, I wasn't holding my nose). A few minutes later I noticed I was short of breath and my chest was hurting. It got bad enough that I went to the emergency room about half an hour later and was informed that the symptoms were caused by my left lung which was about 50-60% collapsed. I was told that while they had heard of people collapsing a lung by sneezing, they had never seen an actual case at that Dallas area hospital. They inserted a tube into my chest in the hope it would allow the lung to re-inflate, but after 4 days, gave up and decided to operate. I spent a total of 10 days in the hospital and 4 weeks recovering at home afterward.

Comment from: CaliforniaLove, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had 5 pneumothoraxes in just over 2 years in my left lung. I was 28 when it first started. I am a young female, healthy, physically active non-smoker, not the typical person this happens to at all. Every time it happened I was laying down sleeping. The first time it was the worst, 50% collapsed with a lot of chest pain and shortness of breath. I had a chest tube for 2 days and it was the most painful experience of my life. The next 2 times it happened I was pregnant and they were smaller collapses, 20% and 10% which required no treatment but I did go to the ER every time. Nine days after my son was born, it collapsed again, small.

Comment from: gazz666, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

I'm a 36 yr old male, quite tall and thin, I'm very fit and run an average of 3-4 miles a day. Unfortunately, I have smoked since I was 14 years old. I served in the Army for 10 yrs and am now a police officer, so I still live an active physical lifestyle. About 5 days ago I was showering and as I raised my left arm to rinse my hair. I felt a sharp pain race down the muscle in my back and felt a pop. I thought I have just tweaked a muscle and carried on the day in a bit of pain thinking it'll sort itself out. Five hrs later it got to the stage where I couldn't walk 20 yards without stopping for air and decided to get it checked out at A&E. After an X-ray it was confirmed that I had suffered a spontaneous pneumothorax and had a chest drain put in. After 3 days, I'm back at home, and still sore but I'm. I'm amazed that this happened for no apparent reason, and needless to say I must stop smoking.

Must Read Articles Related to Collapsed Lung

Bronchoscopy
Bronchoscopy Bronchoscopy is performed to view the inside of a person's airway and lungs. There are two types of bronchoscopy, 1) rigid bronchoscopy and 2) flexible bronchos...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax):

Collapsed Lung - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your collapsed lung?

Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.