Viewer Comments: Pneumothorax - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax):

Pneumothorax - Causes

What was the cause of your pneumothorax?

Comment from: Karen, 35-44 Female Published: November 22

I had a spontaneous pneumothorax in September 2011 it was Tuesday night when I felt a sharp pain in my right side I thought nothing of it and went to bed. The following morning I woke up could not breath I thought I was having a heart attack. I went to my G.P who sent me home with an inhaler and antibiotics and was told to come back the following morning, when seeing a different G.P I was sent to hospital for an x-ray I was kept in hospital for 3 weeks I never received surgery but did have a chest drain inserted twice and it is no fun {as other suffers have said I would not wish this on my worst enemy.} doctors are still reluctant to give me surgery due to my first collapse. I wake up each morning so hoping to feel 100% but it will always be at the back of my mind. i am still signed off my work as I am waiting for my follow up x-ray and have been told by my G.P that my lung has not fully inflated yet. I was a smoker, but not tall or thin. I have not had a cigarette for nearly 2 months now and will never smoke again due to my experience. I was sent to hospital yesterday after seeing my G.P as I was experiencing the same symptoms I was lucky as I was informed that the pain i was experiencing was my lung trying to inflate and stick to the lung sack.

Comment from: oedward, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 11

My lungs collapsed when I was a newborn. It has always been a story my mom would remind me of saying my lungs weren't right and all. She never told me whether it was because of a broken rib or something. I never knew what it was like to know the pain after surgery, obviously because I was only a baby. I have a scar and I always look at it thinking, "Wow, so I have a chest-tube inside of me." Just thinking about it gives me the chills. I haven't collapsed since I was a baby. I'm just wondering what are the things I should and shouldn't be doing for it to not occur anytime soon. I sometimes feel it like it's about to tighten up, and it scares me. I think the last time I felt that was about 2 months ago.

Comment from: Shannon, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

My first pneumothorax was in 2005. I had a severe cold for an extended period of time and had been going to a school clinic every week or two for additional help. I had been coughing uncontrollably and at one moment it felt like the "wind was knocked out of me." I went to the doctor and was sent home. They called back to say that it looked like I had a collapse and they were trying to get me an appointment with a lung specialist. I ended up going to the emergency and having surgery a few hours later. Between 2005 and 2010, I had several recurrences. Many were documented as 5-10%, but since I had the pleurodesis during the first surgery, my surgeon thought I was having problems with anxiety even though the recurrences were documented by X-ray (he didn't think I should be able to feel the small collapses). Fast forward to today, 3 additional surgeries later, I am 2 months out of my last surgery), and I feel awful every day. I'm back at work and pretty much pretending to be fine, but it really, really stinks. This last surgery seems to have been the worst of all. I keep trying to remind myself that it has only been 2 months.

Comment from: Louise, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

I was sleeping. I live alone, and I woke up one morning with a sore chest. As the day went on, the pain got worse and it became harder to breathe. I have high blood pressure and take medication to control it. My heart was beating faster and faster. I couldn't breathe in, only out. I waited until after lunch to go to hospital. When I got there, thinking I was having a heart attack, they stabilized me. Although I felt a bit better, I knew something was wrong. It felt like I had air in my chest and kept describing an "air bubble" in my chest. They kept me in hospital overnight. I could hear the air in my chest. It wasn't until lunch time the next day that I had x-rays taken and discovered my whole left lung had collapsed. It took till later that day for the doctors to put a chest tube in. It stayed in for three days, then fell out. Within minutes of the tube falling out, I felt the symptoms happening again. Within half an hour, my lung had collapsed again. The second procedure was the worst pain I'd ever been through.

Comment from: healthy now i hope, Male (Patient) Published: May 31

I am 38, tall, thin, and used to smoke. I had a spontaneous pneumothorax on the left side. I was simply driving on a dirt road and it 100% collapsed. The pain started in my shoulder, and within about three minutes, it was up and down my arm. i could only take tiny breaths with a pain level of about 7 out of 10. After two days (and no one's fault but my own), it progressed to tension pneumothorax. After 10 days in hospital and one operation, I'm home again. This same thing also happened to my uncle.

Comment from: Kb, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

Endometriosis of the lung caused my lung to collapse.

Must Read Articles Related to Collapsed Lung

Bronchoscopy
Bronchoscopy Bronchoscopy is performed to view the inside of a person's airway and lungs. There are two types of bronchoscopy, 1) rigid bronchoscopy and 2) flexible bronchos...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax):

Collapsed Lung - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your collapsed lung?

Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.