Viewer Comments: Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax):

Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.

Comment from: Nagarjun, 19-24 Male Published: January 11

It was a unfortunate Sunday where spontaneous pneumothorax (collapse of right lung) occurred when I was just sitting in front of my computer without doing any hard/physical work. I was unable to breathe for about 10min and with terrific pain in the chest. I was able to take breathe slowly as time passed with cough and pain still remained. The next day I consulted a doctor, and he referred me to immediately consult a pulmonologist. He immediately told me to admit to the hospital so that they can start the treatment. They made a one-inch hole, put a chest pipe in, to remove the negative air into sachet which contained water in it. I suffered with back bone pain for two full days. Later, my right lung came to its original size and doctor suggested me 1month of rest. The important thing is I don't smoke and drink and there was no single reason left behind for the cause of this drastic incident.

Comment from: nikaye, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I had my lung collapse two times back in November. I was the in the hospital for three days the first time with a chest tube, and the second time, I had to have surgery to stick my lung to the chest wall to keep it from collapsing again. I am still in pain from it, so I don't want it to happen again. I worry about that every day. I know to doctors it's as simple as getting dressed, but for me it's life-changing.

Comment from: julie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I suffered a pneumothorax 14 years ago when I was 23. I am now 37 and touch wood it has not happened again. I have never smoked or taken any drugs, but I am tall and thin. Now and again when I am feeling unwell and tired I do get mild symptoms of the pain and think “not again,” but then after rest, it has eased off.

Comment from: Buster, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 24

My father just had a pneumothorax driving home from the hospital where he was asking his doctor about some spots on his chest X-ray. He had to go to the ER at another hospital about 40 minutes away closer to his home. He walked in and passed out in the ER. They didn't put a chest tube in for an hour thinking that he had a heart attack. He was brain dead from lack of oxygen to the brain and passed away a week later. Go to a good hospital if you get a pneumothorax.

Comment from: 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I had pneumothorax happen to me 3 times. 1. I was in the shower and lifted my arm and sudden pains to my chest. I sat down only to be more short of breath and weakened by the pain. I went to hospital to be placed on oxygen for 6 hours and then released with recovering results. 2. I was sitting at my computer and suddenly I couldn't breathe. This time, I went a step further with them putting a tube in to suck the air out of my side. After an overnight stay, I was released with hopes that I wouldn't return. 3. Sitting at my computer again when suddenly struck with the pain. I didn't wish to go back to hospital so soon, as it has only been about a month since I was there last. I returned to hospital as the pain was too much. This time I went a further step with receiving oxygen, the tube, then had the surgery that kept me in hospital for 1.5 weeks with the tube in my side for that time. I did not know whether or not I was to recover as the pain was clearly still present. This was around 2 months ago and I hope to never see this problem again.

Comment from: dkmsd, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 04

Both of my children were born with pneumothoraxes. My son, first, with both of lungs completely collapsed and he had to stay in the hospital a week under an oxygen saucer. My daughter, second, (14 months later) with one lung partially collapsed. They still have no idea why it happened to either of them and now at 2 and 3 years old they both started having problems with asthma. We are worried about bigger problems popping up now.

Comment from: Fullchoke, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 20

I have had no less than 10 pheumothoraxes in the last 14 years, sometimes having up to 3 in one year. My left lung has always collapsed at night while sleeping. As soon as I awake, I know "due to the pain". It feels like there is something large and heavy rubbing against my chest wall, and breathing can be painful but for me taking shallow breaths did help. Depending how bad the pain was, I usually ended up in the hospital other times. I have rested at home in bed for about a week taking pain killers. I had key-hole surgery five years ago, which I thought had done the trick, but unfortunately I had three pneumothoraxes in the last 13 months.

Comment from: cuerdley, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I had the very nasty experience of a spontaneous pneumothorax about 6 weeks ago. I would not wish the pain I went through on my worst enemy. Having that drain in my side is a pain only another sufferer could understand! I was 3 days with the drain in my left side and still feel that I have not yet fully recovered although I have now returned to work (no physical work yet). I have no idea what caused it but have been told that it could happen again. I would anything on Earth to avoit it.

Must Read Articles Related to Collapsed Lung

Bronchoscopy
Bronchoscopy Bronchoscopy is performed to view the inside of a person's airway and lungs. There are two types of bronchoscopy, 1) rigid bronchoscopy and 2) flexible bronchos...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax):

Collapsed Lung - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your collapsed lung?

Pneumothorax - Causes

What was the cause of your pneumothorax?