Viewer Comments: Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax):

Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.

Comment from: A Dolan, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 07

I had spontaneous pneumothorax. (I woke up, coughed and it went downhill from there!) I just got back from the hospital after being there 6 days.I had a drain put into me to release the air from around the lung as the first needle did not release enough air. In the end it became infected, hence the resaon I was in absolute agony with it for 5 days. This was not a nice experience at all and would never want this to happen to my worst enemy. It was that bad.

Comment from: MAR, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I had a pneumothorax during an interventional radiology procedure to place a port-catheter for chemotherapy. It wasn't big ("7%"), but it hurt a lot. The doctor placed a thin tube; 6 days and 5 xrays later it wasn't much better; he moved the tube, suctioned some air and sent me home again. The next day he said it was resolved and took the tube out. The tube itself was very painful for 2-3 days when it was placed, then again when it was moved. Intermittent neck swelling also resulted from air movement. After the tube came out (one week ago), I continue to have jabbing pains in my chest. I was relieved to read on this website that, "Some scarring to the pleura develops after treatment and can result in intermittent, sharp, localized, chest pain over the short term." I look forward to this pain going away altogether so I can finally calm down.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I have had my lung collasped 5 times. The first 3 times were minor ones were I needed strong pain meds. By the 4th time I needed a chest tube which is one of the most uncomfortable things to have. The tube sticks out of the side of your chest right below the armpit next to the boob. Its hooked up to a machine and you can see the "fluid"-blood draning out. You can only be unhooked from the machine for about 20 minutes. When you have to go to the bathroom a nurse has to come in and unhook it and rehook it up when you're done. Not even a month later of having the chest tube my lung collasped the 5th time in which I needed lung surgery. A bubble was forming around my lung which needed to be removed and after sugury I needed the chest tube again. 18 years old...it sucked.

Comment from: STEACKMAN, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I am currently in the hospital with a spontaneous pneumothorax. I woke up at 9:00am on Sat w/ sharp pain and could not breathe very well. Went into the emergency room at 10:00am and at 2:30 had a chest tube put in now 5 days later still have the tube and a few small blebs, chance of possible surgery but hoping that the pneumothorax closes with the suction that has been on and off for the last 5 days. If you should get pain and shortness of breath PLEASE GO TO THE ER ASAP !

Comment from: lungs, Published: February 01

My family has a history of collapsed lungs and I currently have lung blebs. We were diagnosed with Birt Hogg Dube Syndrome (BHD) 2 yrs ago and it is a rare genetics disease and can only be found through blood tests. Collapsed lungs or Pneumothorax seem to be related to having BHD.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I am 26 and had a spontaneous collapse last year. I woke up, went to the toilet, felt a pain in my right shoulder blade which got worse in maybe 60 seconds. Within minutes I was curled up in a ball at the bottom of the stairs in agony calling an ambulance. Shallow breaths helped, but it was the worst pain I ever experienced. Days earlier I had started to get bouts of dizziness which disappeared afterwards, prior to the collapse my doctor told me the dizziness was vertigo. I think he was wrong, dizziness can also be due to a lack of oxygen! However I fit the bill for the condition as I am tall, thin to medium build, under 30 years, ex smoker and I had used cocaine in my past, maybe I should have saw it coming. Anyway six days in hospital on a drain and one year later it hasn't happened again, and please god it won't. I hope someone can benefit from my story.

Comment from: jlg, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I just got back from the hospital where I was earlier today. I went in thinking I was having a heart attack but was told it was a small (5%) spontaneous Pneumo. I was told to go easy for the next couple of weeks, but after reading what you all have gone through I definitely do not want this to get any worse. I am sure it would have progressed if I didn't go to the hospital and get a diagnosis. Lesson learned: go to the ER if you are in serious pain.

Must Read Articles Related to Collapsed Lung

Bronchoscopy
Bronchoscopy Bronchoscopy is performed to view the inside of a person's airway and lungs. There are two types of bronchoscopy, 1) rigid bronchoscopy and 2) flexible bronchos...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax):

Collapsed Lung - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your collapsed lung?

Pneumothorax - Causes

What was the cause of your pneumothorax?