Viewer Comments: Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax):

Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.

...
Comment from: Chris31UK, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 22

I'm a 31 year old male, previously a smoker before my first pneumothorax. The first time my bottom right lung collapsed and I thought it was angina or heart attack. I was rushed to hospital and they stuck a syringe in and then re-inflated the collapsed part. The following day I was just finishing smoking and I could feel a pain when I breathed in and out and felt my lung capacity drop to 50 percent. I was rushed to hospital again and had a drain. After being on and off suction 3 times they operated and used talc to stick my lung to the wall. My lung is still only 93 percent inflated and I have been in hospital 4 weeks so far. (I am still here!) I'm on flutter bag for the 3rd time now and as long as my lung does not deflate even more in the next 48 hours at least I can go home. I have never known pain like this and would never wish it on anyone. It is actually really scary because most people have recovered in at least half the time I have been here so who knows how long this will last and what the end result will be. My last words; live your life and regret nothing. Spend as much time with your family as possible. One day it will be too late.

Comment from: Muti Tsk, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

I recently had a spontaneous pneumothorax (three weeks ago). It happened when I was walking on the street. I had no battery to call an ambulance so I ended up walking for an hour and half. When I got home I called the emergency and I was rushed to the hospital. They told me I had a collapsed lung (the smallest lung they ever saw as they told me). I spent one week with two drains stuck to my lung. My lung did not go back to normal so they decided to operate (VATS), and another week of the worst pain I ever experienced. I am back home now and I keep getting stabbing pain. I really hope I am not getting another pneumothorax again. I wish all of you reading this post the best and a fast recovery!

Comment from: Yvette, Female (Patient) Published: December 03

I was experiencing back ache for two weeks prior to finding out I had pneumothorax. I went to the emergency room (ER) and was told I might have a kidney infection (wrong diagnosis). I went home and after another two weeks went by and I couldn't stand the pain, I went back to a patient first clinic. There the doctor ordered x-ray and that was when they found out I had pneumothorax. I was rushed to the ER and admitted. A chest tube was placed and left on my right side lung for 3 days and that didn't drain anything from my lungs so I was then operated on, and they had to scrape out the infection on my right side lung. It's been two weeks and all I can think is if this will happen again. I am scared and afraid to even leave my house in fear of getting sick again. I don't wish this on my worst enemy.

Comment from: dacia, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 02

When my baby was about nine month she suffered from a collapsed lung where she had to do a major surgery and had to get two chest tubes. Doctors says she could have died. She was breathing way too hard and had coughing and vomiting. She was in the hospital for about a month, had the surgery for pneumothorax and was out. My daughter is a year and two months now and is doing really good; no one can tell that she was badly sick.

Comment from: maher, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I just got out of the hospital 2 days ago after recovery from pneumothorax. Apparently I had my lung slowly collapsing for about a month, I ignored as I thought it was maybe shortness of breath since I am a smoker, and it will go away. Nope, it did not, so I went to the hospital to get x-ray and sure enough 70 percent of the right lung had got deflated. The doctor who was a great doctor, performed the tubing, with Novocain, and all this was the most painful process I experienced. I literally felt the tube going through every layer. The hospital staff was great and the doctor just phenomenal, it's just the whole thing is darn ugly and after you are about to leave the hospital after 4 days of exposing your body parts to everybody with a gown, they tell you there is a 50/50 chance of it happening again. Yeah, exciting.

Comment from: Lyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had breast cancer in July 2014, then I had radiation. I was not feeling very well, had a lot of back pain and in my joints. On my 19th visit to have radiation I came home, and in the evening I started vomiting and the pain in the lower part on the right side of my back was pain I never experienced. I went to the doctors the next morning and they rang an ambulance. I was taken to the hospital and had MRI scans and my right lung had collapsed; they thought I had cancer in my right lung but that wasn't the case, it was pneumothorax. I don't remember much, only that they cut the top part of my back and drained fluid. I didn't feel a thing as I was on pretty strong medication. On Tuesday I had a 5 hour operation on my lung, as I also had pneumonia. It was a slow recovery and I am pain tolerant but after that surgery I became a bit of a sook. I stopped the radiation immediately and stayed in hospital for 2 weeks. They glued my lung to my chest. It has now been 7 months and I'm feeling not bad, but it sometimes can be painful on my right side.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Collapsed Lung

Bronchoscopy
Bronchoscopy Bronchoscopy is performed to view the inside of a person's airway and lungs. There are two types of bronchoscopy, 1) rigid bronchoscopy and 2) flexible bronchos...learn more >>
Chest Pain
Chest Pain Overview Chest pain has a variety of noncardiac and cardiac causes, some of which can be very serious. Signs and symptoms of chest pain may include burning, squeezing, o...learn more >>
Cough
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax):

Collapsed Lung - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your collapsed lung?

Pneumothorax - Causes

What was the cause of your pneumothorax?

Collapsed Lung - Treatment

What was the treatment for your collapsed lung?