Viewer Comments: Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax):

Pneumothorax - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with pneumothorax.

Comment from: dacia, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 02

When my baby was about nine month she suffered from a collapsed lung where she had to do a major surgery and had to get two chest tubes. Doctors says she could have died. She was breathing way too hard and had coughing and vomiting. She was in the hospital for about a month, had the surgery for pneumothorax and was out. My daughter is a year and two months now and is doing really good; no one can tell that she was badly sick.

Comment from: maher, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I just got out of the hospital 2 days ago after recovery from pneumothorax. Apparently I had my lung slowly collapsing for about a month, I ignored as I thought it was maybe shortness of breath since I am a smoker, and it will go away. Nope, it did not, so I went to the hospital to get x-ray and sure enough 70 percent of the right lung had got deflated. The doctor who was a great doctor, performed the tubing, with Novocain, and all this was the most painful process I experienced. I literally felt the tube going through every layer. The hospital staff was great and the doctor just phenomenal, it's just the whole thing is darn ugly and after you are about to leave the hospital after 4 days of exposing your body parts to everybody with a gown, they tell you there is a 50/50 chance of it happening again. Yeah, exciting.

Comment from: Lyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had breast cancer in July 2014, then I had radiation. I was not feeling very well, had a lot of back pain and in my joints. On my 19th visit to have radiation I came home, and in the evening I started vomiting and the pain in the lower part on the right side of my back was pain I never experienced. I went to the doctors the next morning and they rang an ambulance. I was taken to the hospital and had MRI scans and my right lung had collapsed; they thought I had cancer in my right lung but that wasn't the case, it was pneumothorax. I don't remember much, only that they cut the top part of my back and drained fluid. I didn't feel a thing as I was on pretty strong medication. On Tuesday I had a 5 hour operation on my lung, as I also had pneumonia. It was a slow recovery and I am pain tolerant but after that surgery I became a bit of a sook. I stopped the radiation immediately and stayed in hospital for 2 weeks. They glued my lung to my chest. It has now been 7 months and I'm feeling not bad, but it sometimes can be painful on my right side.

Comment from: Brian, Male (Patient) Published: June 11

As a teen I had both of my lungs collapse several times spontaneously. Sometimes it was difficult to tell the difference between muscular pain in my chest and a pneumothorax. The test I developed to tell if I had a collapsed lung was to lean forward at the waist. If my lung was collapsed, I could feel the air bubble between the lung and the top of the chest cavity move as I bend over and straightened up again. Eventually I ended getting the thin parts of both lungs stapled to seal them off, then no more problems after that.

Comment from: Alice B., RN (ER), 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

I was born with left lung defects secondary to my pop's exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam. My lung collapsed due to a ruptured empyemic cyst. I wound up with tension pneumothorax with mediastinal shift. Two thoracotomy surgeries later, the entire left lung is gone (all at age 9). I went on to develop heart failure (age 34) due to my system being strained for so long. I am now 42 years old and managing ok! I still have significant left sided pain due to the formation of all the scar tissue. It frequently aches and movement on that left side is somewhat limited, but that hasn't stopped me from practicing my yoga! But you just have to keep going and do what you can! In my eyes, we are all warriors!

Comment from: Honey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

It is the doctor's guess that my pneumothorax occurred during a 3.5 hour overseas flight. As we were staying with friends and didn't want to spoil the holiday, I didn't say anything about (or do anything about) the symptoms which were breathlessness during any exertion, pain in the shoulder and ribs and the frightening fact that, if I lay on my right side, I could not breathe at all. I also had a pain in my head unlike a normal dull headache. After 12 days of this, we made the return flight. I am told that it is a miracle that I survived it. Fourteen days after the first flight and onset of symptoms, I had an x-ray and was rushed to the emergency ward where a tube was inserted. It was removed 4 days later, which was 6 days ago. The pneumothorax has slowly decreased but has not disappeared to date. I have been told to take it easy for a month which I guess is the expected recovery time. I am not allowed to fly for 6 weeks and will never be able to scuba-dive, sky-dive or be a pilot, which, as a 63 year old female, I can live with!

Must Read Articles Related to Collapsed Lung

Bronchoscopy Bronchoscopy is performed to view the inside of a person's airway and lungs. There are two types of bronchoscopy, 1) rigid bronchoscopy and 2) flexible bronchos...learn more >>
Chest Pain
Chest Pain Overview Chest pain has a variety of noncardiac and cardiac causes, some of which can be very serious. Signs and symptoms of chest pain may include burning, squeezing, o...learn more >>
Coughs A cough is a symptom of an underlying disease or condition. A chronic or persistent cough may signal certain lung conditions that should be evaluated by a healt...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Collapsed Lung (Pneumothorax):

Collapsed Lung - Treatment

What was the treatment for your collapsed lung?

Pneumothorax - Causes

What was the cause of your pneumothorax?

Collapsed Lung - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your collapsed lung?