Viewer Comments: Colon Cancer - Signs and Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colon Cancer:

Colon Cancer - Signs and Symptoms

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your colon cancer?

Comment from: Thankful, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

I was having an extreme amount of fatigue, acid reflux, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, lightheadedness; my ankles and feet were swollen for a couple of days so I was scared it was something to do with my heart so I called my Internist to see if I could get a physical. He at first was going to have me try Prilosec for the acid reflux but he made a comment that I looked anemic so he decided to do a physical. I had an EKG that same day then I came back the next day and had blood drawn, a pulmonary test and chest x-rays. He called me the next day and said that my hemoglobin was down to 5.5, I was dangerously anemic and that it could be life threatening if I didn't get to the hospital right away. I went to the ER and they ended up checking me in. I was given 5 units of blood and was scheduled for an Endoscopy and Colonoscopy the next morning. When I woke up expecting to hear bleeding ulcer, they told me I had colon cancer. I had a mass 2.5" long x 3" wide and there were several of my lymph nodes affected. They also did a CAT scan where they detected a cyst and an undefined mass on my liver along with a cyst which they originally thought was on my ovary but ended up it was on my tubes. I just had the surgery last Friday; they removed 1/4 of my colon and the cyst that was on my tubes (it was benign). The mass and cyst on my liver were both benign. I received my path rpt this week and there were 32 negative lymph nodes. I will be seeing the surgeon on Monday and he will refer me on to an Oncologist to determine if I need chemo. I am 51 years old and this was my 1st colonoscopy; I always swore I would never have one because of the prep. I am just so thankful that I went in when I did. Listen to your body; if something doesn't feel "right" and you don't feel like yourself; go to your doctor just to be safe. I don't know if I would even had went in still this week if my co-worker hadn't put little scare into me.

Comment from: Athena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I am a 63 year old female, recently diagnosed with colon cancer after submitting a fecal sample. What alerted me that something was wrong is an extreme craving for sugar, weight gain and pencil thin stools. I developed a 'belly' when all my life my abdomen was flat. Years prior I noticed blood in my stool, but my physician told me not to worry and it probably was from my hemorrhoids. I am scheduled for my first colonoscopy. I am dreading the results.

Comment from: Posie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 06

My first sign was stomach aches after eating and drinking, blood in stools, and nausea at all times and weight loss. I felt as if I needed to have a bowel movement most times.

Comment from: Sharon, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

I am a 61-year-old female who was diagnosed with colon cancer at age 60. I had 12 inches of my colon removed and several lymph nodes also. Eight lymph nodes came back showing cancer so I started chemo treatments for six months every two weeks. I had a total of 12 treatments. I am now finished with chemo and now do blood work every three months and CT scans every six months. My symptoms were some red blood in the stools, pencil-like stools, constipation and then diarrhea. I was also extremely tired all the time.

Comment from: vicente, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I am a 74-year-old male. I had absolutely no symptoms or warnings that I had cancer. In May 2009 I suddenly felt like I had diarrhea but it was all blood and I went to the ER. I bled profusely through the rectum for an hour or so until they got it stopped. The doctor did a colonoscopy and found a stage II cancer. He did a resection and removed 18 inches of my colon. In the past two years and eight months, I have had two additional colonoscopies and two CT scans, plus blood tests. So far, no recurrence. I had polyps removed in 1990 and was supposed to get a colonoscopy every five years but stopped after the first one came out negative. I should have continued with the regular colonoscopies. I could have saved myself a ton of grief.

Comment from: Ohio, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

Prior to my diagnosis with colon cancer, I suffered weight loss and being tired all the time. After seeing a doctor, found out I was anemic, and started taking iron pills. Within a month of various tests, had to go into the hospital for blood transfusion, where the cancer was detected.

Must Read Articles Related to Colon Cancer

Barium Enema
Barium Enema A barium enema is a diagnostic test that us performed to examine the colon and rectum for abnormalities. Barium enema may be ordered for a patient to identify i...learn more >>
Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colon Cancer:

Colon Cancer - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?