Viewer Comments: Colon Cancer - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colon Cancer:

Colon Cancer - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?

Comment from: Michigander, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I am a 51 year old female who was diagnosed with rectal cancer 3 months ago. I had no prior symptoms but had been receiving a complete physical by my family physician which included a fecal sample. Blood in the stool was detected and a colonoscopy was done. The tumor was nearly obstructing the area where colon and rectum meet. Surgery was performed in July, resulting in removal of the tumor and resectioning of the colon. I am now receiving chemo therapy, 12 treatments total. I'm on my third. I use humor to help me get through this and also help my family friends get through it.

Comment from: Val, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

My problems began with a very painful menstrual cycle, followed by no menstrual cycle, and months of trying to diagnose the pain I felt in my chest (they thought it was heart-related). I had a blood transfusion with no explanation then, finally, in the E.R. in severe pain, a CT scan was performed which revealed a "mass". The surgeon decided to do exploratory surgery which revealed stage I colon cancer. Thankfully, all that was required was a partial colon removal. I was 28 yrs. old, and have been in remission for 11 yrs. One side effect of having abdominal surgery is the formation of adhesions, which is scar tissue that forms. I developed adhesions which caused a bowel obstruction that required surgery and more resectioning of my colon...

Comment from: Nath, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

I was having difficulty in passing complete stools. My stools became jet black. I felt pain in the middle of stomach. Doctors did a colonoscopy and confirmed stage one cancer. I had surgery and the entire affected colon was removed.

Comment from: kram, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I had several different tests but only the colonoscopy test detected my tumor. My age made doctors look for other reasons than colon cancer, but as long as you got the ball rolling, a process of test eliminations will find it. I was 37.

Published: April 28

I started fainting. I was told it was stress. Then a lab test detected iron deficiency and Vitamin B-12 deficiency and that alerted my doctor to the possibility of colon cancer. I had a colonoscopy and was diagnosed with Stage IIB colon cancer.

Comment from: morena, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 19

Thanks to a skin cancer lesion, my husband's colon cancer was discovered. He had been postponing a colonoscopy for 9 years but he was forced to have it done this week because recently a dermatologist removed a cancer on his face and told us that the type of cancer he had, sebaceous gland carcinoma, was sometimes indicative that cancer was present also inside his body. Since his father had colon cancer the colonoscopy was highly recommended. We were very lucky because the cancer is small and the doctor told us they will only have to remove a small part of his colon.

Comment from: Charleston, SC, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

Saw a small amount of blood on toilet tissue after bowl movement. Since no history of hemmoroids, asked for colonoscopy. Discovered polyps; one was cancerous, but still contained within polyp. Section of colon was removed.

Comment from: ERNESTO, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I WENT TO THE HOSPITAL TO HAVE A CAT SCAN AND BLOOD DRAWN AND THE RESULTS OF MY CAT SCAN WAS THAT I HAD A 5C.M PIECE IN MY COLON THEY TOLD RIGHT AWAY I HAD COLON CANCER MY WIFE BROKE DOWN CRYING AND I WAS STUN TO HERE THE WORD CANCER I FEEL MY LIFE IS OVER WITH AND MY EIGHT CHIDREN THAT I HAVE NO ONE IN MY FAMILY RUNS ANY COLON CANCER MY SYMPTOMS ARE I FEEL DISCOMFORT AND TIGHT ON MY LEFT SIDE OF MY ABDOMINAL AND SOMETIMES I DONT FEEL IT BUT WHEN I DO I FEEL MY STOMACH LIKE IF WAS SOUR AND LIKE IF I AM GOING TO HAVE DIAHREA BUT I DONT HAVE DIAHREA I HAD A COLONOSCOPY DONE AND THE DR SAID HE DIDNT FIND ANYTHING WRONG AND CUT A PIECE OF POLYP OUT AND HAD EXAMINE AND CAME BACK NEG NOW HE WANTS TO GO BACK IN AND SCRAPE MY WALL OF MY COLON WHY DIDNT HE DO THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE IF A GOOD DR IS TOLD YOU WERE DETECTED COLON CANCER LETS GO IN SCRAPE THE WALLS TAKE POLYP OUT AND LETS EXAMINE IT THROUHLY SO WE DONT HAVE TO DO THIS PROCEDURE AGAIN DONT YOU THINK I AM STILL SORE AND HAVE BEEN BLEEDING EVERYTIME I GO TO THE BATHROOM I AM TRYING TO SEEK ANOTHER DR I DONT FEEL CONFORTABLE WITH THIS DR AND HOPE ITS NOT TO LATE THANKS FOR LISTENING TO ME AND HOPE NO ONE ELSE GOES THRU THIS AND FINDS IMMEDIATE HELP ONCE RIGHT AWAY!

Must Read Articles Related to Colon Cancer

Barium Enema
Barium Enema A barium enema is a diagnostic test that us performed to examine the colon and rectum for abnormalities. Barium enema may be ordered for a patient to identify i...learn more >>
Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colon Cancer:

Colon Cancer - Signs and Symptoms

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your colon cancer?