Viewer Comments: Colon Cancer - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colon Cancer:

Colon Cancer - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?

Comment from: kate, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 30

I got sick every time I ate. I had a colonoscopy, which showed tumors and a biopsy that confirmed cancer.

Comment from: Bray 1960, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had cancer in my appendix and my appendix ruptured and healed itself - scabbed over - by affixing itself to my colon. This caused it to be colon cancer. I did not go for chemo at that time. Two years later cancer had showed up in my lung. I went through chemo and two years later, I'm cancer free.

Comment from: kitty, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

My cancer was found through a colonoscopy.

Comment from: Mary, Published: March 03

In 1978, I was diagnosed with colon cancer, at the age of 49. Symptoms were chronic pain in the left abdomen, and bleeding and obstruction. I had a partial resection of the left colon, and no chemo was required. I recovered quickly and returned to my job as a secretary within three weeks.

Comment from: Michigander, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I am a 51 year old female who was diagnosed with rectal cancer 3 months ago. I had no prior symptoms but had been receiving a complete physical by my family physician which included a fecal sample. Blood in the stool was detected and a colonoscopy was done. The tumor was nearly obstructing the area where colon and rectum meet. Surgery was performed in July, resulting in removal of the tumor and resectioning of the colon. I am now receiving chemo therapy, 12 treatments total. I'm on my third. I use humor to help me get through this and also help my family friends get through it.

Comment from: Val, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

My problems began with a very painful menstrual cycle, followed by no menstrual cycle, and months of trying to diagnose the pain I felt in my chest (they thought it was heart-related). I had a blood transfusion with no explanation then, finally, in the E.R. in severe pain, a CT scan was performed which revealed a "mass". The surgeon decided to do exploratory surgery which revealed stage I colon cancer. Thankfully, all that was required was a partial colon removal. I was 28 yrs. old, and have been in remission for 11 yrs. One side effect of having abdominal surgery is the formation of adhesions, which is scar tissue that forms. I developed adhesions which caused a bowel obstruction that required surgery and more resectioning of my colon...

Comment from: Nath, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 22

I was having difficulty in passing complete stools. My stools became jet black. I felt pain in the middle of stomach. Doctors did a colonoscopy and confirmed stage one cancer. I had surgery and the entire affected colon was removed.

Comment from: kram, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I had several different tests but only the colonoscopy test detected my tumor. My age made doctors look for other reasons than colon cancer, but as long as you got the ball rolling, a process of test eliminations will find it. I was 37.

Published: April 28

I started fainting. I was told it was stress. Then a lab test detected iron deficiency and Vitamin B-12 deficiency and that alerted my doctor to the possibility of colon cancer. I had a colonoscopy and was diagnosed with Stage IIB colon cancer.

Comment from: morena, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 19

Thanks to a skin cancer lesion, my husband's colon cancer was discovered. He had been postponing a colonoscopy for 9 years but he was forced to have it done this week because recently a dermatologist removed a cancer on his face and told us that the type of cancer he had, sebaceous gland carcinoma, was sometimes indicative that cancer was present also inside his body. Since his father had colon cancer the colonoscopy was highly recommended. We were very lucky because the cancer is small and the doctor told us they will only have to remove a small part of his colon.

Must Read Articles Related to Colon Cancer

Barium Enema
Barium Enema A barium enema is a diagnostic test that us ...learn more >>
18 Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cance...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know Cancer is a common and deadly disease, and it's surrounded by myths. There are certain basics a patient needs to know when they're confronted with a learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colon Cancer:

Colon Cancer - Signs and Symptoms

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your colon cancer?