Viewer Comments: Colon Cancer - Diagnosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colon Cancer:

Colon Cancer - Diagnosis

How was the diagnosis of your colon cancer established?

I was 33 years old when I began noticing blood in my stool. I went to my family doctor and he had ordered an X-ray and CT scan of my abdomen. I was then sent on a 'wild goose chase' of suspicious “masses” that were “found” in my CT scan. Finally after finding out that the 5 cm mass found in my uterus was completely normal (it was just a bag of blood) my OB/GYN asked, why did you have a CT scan in the first place? I told him about my symptoms and he suggested that I get a colonoscopy ASAP. I went back to my family doctor that day and told the receptionist that I wanted a colonoscopy. . .I was told that the person who schedules these tests was on vacation for two weeks and that I'd have to wait. I told her that I'd be looking up “gastroenterologist” in the yellow pages and getting my own appointment. I did just that! I found a wonderful doctor (whose last name begins with A). He gave me an appointment within the week and I had my colonoscopy within two weeks of my initial phone call. I had my colonoscopy completed and saw the tumor with my own eyes, and observed the biopsy (it looked like a little “Pac-Man”). My biopsy did show malignancy, and I was immediately scheduled for my colon resection. After surgery, they found that my lymph nodes were positive for cancer cells, so I had stage III colorectal cancer. I met a wonderful oncologist who explained the six months of chemo and six weeks of radiation that would be necessary for me to undergo in the coming weeks. I opted to have my ovaries moved high within my body so that they wouldn't be “fried” during radiation. So after my second abdominal surgery in two months, I began chemo treatments with oxaliplatin. It was very exhausting, and I slept the weeks I had the treatment. Thankfully, it was given every other week, so I had some “awake” time to spend with my little 4 year old.

Related Reading: oxaliplatin

Comment from: KK, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer, which had spread to the lymph nodes, in 2005. After extensive surgery and one year of chemotherapy using leucovorin, 5 FU, oxaliplatin, Avastin, and irinotecan, I was in complete remission! I continue to remain in remission and have scans every four months. Even at diagnosis, my CEA levels were very normal. It is a miracle, and I am very grateful!

Related Reading: leucovorin | irinotecan

Comment from: ciel15446, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I started to see rectal bleeding when I was 27 and went to my doctor. She ordered a colonoscopy, but my husband was laid off and we lost our insurance. She had said during my visit that because I had IBS in my teens and had been taking ibuprofen for migraines that the blood was probably from that. I didn't worry about it again until almost two years later because I didn't have any weight loss or anything to go with the bleeding. When I was seven months pregnant with my son, I started getting really lightheaded and the bleeding increased. I wanted to make sure that my pregnancy was healthy, so I went back. Another doctor said that it was probably a bleeding hemorrhoid that needed snared, so he ordered a sigmoidoscopy. You can't have a colonoscopy during pregnancy. They found a 3 cm polyp in my rectum that had cancer cells throughout it. I now have a 9-week-old baby and am starting to go thorough testing to see if there are any more polyps and to see if the cancer has spread into the walls or nodes. I will have surgery before the end of the year and then I don't know if I'll have chemo or not. I turn 30 in three weeks.

Related Reading: ibuprofen

Comment from: kate, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 30

I got sick every time I ate. I had a colonoscopy, which showed tumors and a biopsy that confirmed cancer.

Comment from: Bray 1960, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I had cancer in my appendix and my appendix ruptured and healed itself - scabbed over - by affixing itself to my colon. This caused it to be colon cancer. I did not go for chemo at that time. Two years later cancer had showed up in my lung. I went through chemo and two years later, I'm cancer free.

Comment from: kitty, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

My cancer was found through a colonoscopy.

Must Read Articles Related to Colon Cancer

Barium Enema
Barium Enema A barium enema is a diagnostic test. During the test, the doctor puts a contrast material called barium into the rectum. Enough barium is given to fill up the c...learn more >>
Cancer Symptoms
Cancer Symptoms Most symptoms and signs of cancer may also be explained by harmless conditions, so it's important to limit one's risk factors and undergo appropriate cancer scr...learn more >>
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer: What You Need to Know The news comes like a sledgehammer into the stomach: "I'm sorry to tell you, but you have cancer." Every year, a million Americans are devastated by news of can...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colon Cancer:

Colon Cancer - Signs and Symptoms

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your colon cancer?