Viewer Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy:

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a colonoscopy.

...

I told the doc doing my colonoscopy that I was allergic to the Versed and she gave it to me anyway. This colonoscopy was the most painful, degrading and potentially life-threatening event of my life. I would NEVER recommend colonoscopy to my worst enemy; additionally, my neighbor (a nurse) just got one and she got the versed/fentanyl and she screamed her head off. They just laughed and said "she won't remember a thing" well, she did and now she's a basket case. Get a virtual, not a regular colonoscopy and if you have polyps, get real anesthesia and have it done in the OR. This is not a drive-thru procedure.

Comment from: Pam, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I went in for my third colonoscopy yesterday. My father had colorectal cancer and it had been over ten years, so I was due for another. In that ten years' time, I had a brain aneurysm and a bunch of other problems. I let the medical staff know that I have anxiety and severe restless leg syndrome. Once I woke up, I was told that they could not do the test because my legs would not keep still.

Comment from: doxielover, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I had my 1st colonoscopy last week. The prep was the worst part for sure. I was told to take Dulcolax tabs at bedtime for two nights then clear liquids the day prior to the procedure. Stay close to the bathroom. I received an IV which I was given Versed and Fentanyl prior to moving to the room for the procedure. I woke up after it was all over. I never felt a thing. The good news is a negative colonoscopy.

Comment from: leynana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 08

I had a colonoscopy today. I returned home to find two two-inch-long sores on each side of my lower abdomen, apparently where they pulled something through there (maybe tubing while I was lying on it). My husband suggested it was tape. It wasn't because it was not shaped like that. One of the sores actually has a little chunk of skin missing. Not cool. I snapped photos and sent them to the doctor. I'm still waiting to hear from him. All in all it was not a fun procedure, and I'll think twice before I do it again, although it did rule out the usual problems.

Comment from: eurocdn, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 05

My wife has a colonoscopy during which the attending physician perforated her large intestine while attempting to remove a polyp. She had emergency surgery to remove eight inches of her intestines and spend eight additional days in the hospital.

Comment from: Roy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

The day of my procedure went well. I had absolutely no pain. The after effects have me concerned. In all my years (71) of good health, my stool seems to have been close to my rectum making an easy passage of it when nature called. But two weeks after the procedure, bowel movements have been very difficult, and now, for the last three days I have gone without one. My stool seems to be blocked somewhere in the upper small intestine (colon).

Comment from: jerryo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

Preparing for the test was the worst part. During my test I awoke when the nurse was pushing on my side to (I assume) move the scope around a corner in my body. There was some pain and they gave me more medication all was well after that. I had no after effects at all and could have driven home but had a friend to do so.

Comment from: kenqman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 24

Just had my first colonoscopy today at around 4 p.m. and although it wasn't what I would call an "enjoyable" experience, it wasn't as bad as I expected. The hardest part for me was having to starve myself and drink what seemed like a tub full of nasty liquid substance and camp out in the toilet for what seemed like an eternity. Also, the promise of the "twilight" feeling during the procedure never happened for me. I was wide awake and saw blow by blow details. Three small polyps were found and removed. I'm just glad that it's over!

Comment from: Tarna30, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

I could not drink the entire prep, in fact, I drank very little of it (I didn't make it far enough in advance so it would be chilled) but I prepared for the this problem by following the diet five days in advance, I went on a liquid diet for two days instead of one and I took over the counter laxatives two days before. The procedure was easy, no pain, no after effects and I was very relieved that they removed two polyps.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Colonoscopy

Anatomy of the Digestive System
Anatomy of the Digestive System Digestion is the process in which food is broken into smaller pieces so the body can use them to build and nourish cells and provide energy. The digestive syste...learn more >>
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff, Antibiotic Related Colitis)
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff) Clostridium difficile (or C. difficile, C. diff) colitis is an infection of the colon. C. diff infection is most commonly associated with antibiotic use. Anothe...learn more >>
Colitis
Colitis Colitis is an inflammation of the colon. There are many cause of colitis, infectious colitis (bacterial or viral), ischemic colitis, inflammatory bowel disease ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy:

Colonoscopy - Procedure

How did you prepare for your colonoscopy procedure?