Viewer Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy:

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a colonoscopy.

Comment from: Stayin' healthy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I scheduled a colonoscopy as a "birthday present" because I'm over 50. I have no symptoms or family history of colon cancer. My experience was best case, I'd guess. I had to fast the day prior and at 5pm drink a prescription laxative called MoviPrep.I didn't like the taste, but it was tolerable. Then I had to drink it again five hours before the procedure the next morning. I suggest picking up a 6-pack - of toilet paper - when you pick up the laxative, and stay close to the bathroom. When I got the sedation IV I tried to stay awake, but I mostly slept through the whole thing. I did feel some pain and spoke up, and then I was given more pain medication which took care of it. I remember very little, so it's good that my ride was listening when I got post-procedure instructions. No post-procedure pain or gas at all. I did have 3 "low risk pre-cancerous polyps" removed, so I'm grateful I didn't put it off another year. Also, my insurance deductible was met fairly early this year, so my out of pocket cost for this pricey procedure was small.

Comment from: Music, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

This procedure was a non-event. Even the prep was no big deal. You will have liquid stools once you start the prep until the next morning. They had me take Miralax with 64 ounces of Gatorade along with a couple of Dulcolax tablets. I was a bit nervous as most people are first time. Bottom line: they put me under with Propofol and I did not feel a thing. The anesthesiologist said he was going to start the IV and the next thing I remember was I woke up in recovery. Passed a lot of gas, had some Juice and went home. My family has no history of colon popups or cancer so this was just preventative. For anyone worried about this procedure don't be. Just do it.

Comment from: happycolon, 45-54 Male Published: June 08

Had my first colonoscopy a week ago at 50 years old. Not a problem at all. The light sedation was the same type when I had my wisdom teeth out a few years ago. At some point in both procedures I recall briefly being in pain but its was only like remembering a dream. For the colonoscopy it was when the scope was going around a corner. I remember the doc pushing around on my belly to help the scope around the corner when I moaned out loud. But no big deal, one moment they're wheeling you into the room and then you wake up. The magnesium citrate prep wasn't bad either. It tastes like some really tart lemon-lime soda mixed with Alka-Seltzer. I had no problems drinking it other than feeling bloated from drinking a lot of fluids. They did find a large polyp that turned out to be benign. If you need one, do it, it's really nothing to get wound up about.

Comment from: SandyC, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 24

When my husband turned 65 and went on Medicare, he had his first colonoscopy. The "cleaning out" part wasn't fun for him but not awful and the procedure itself went very easily for him. They found a few polyps, removed them and biopsied them - all benign. They wanted him back in six months for another colonoscopy, just to make sure everything was OK. Second procedure, he was over anesthetized and was out of it for quite a long time. Then, six months later, they again did the procedure, just to "check". I told his doctor about the anesthesia problem, and this time they did it right, BUT - he has had blood in his bowels ever since. He just told me they called to schedule him for yet a fourth colonoscopy. I told my husband over my dead body.

Comment from: Joan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I had my third colonoscopy since 1999, so I was not concerned. I was hooked up to an IV and blood pressure monitor. Then went in to the procedure room and was hooked up to oxygen. Then the scope was inserted and the pain was unbearable from the beginning. I begged to be put to sleep but to no avail. The doctor had a nurse hold me down and it was horrible. I was asleep for the first two. The doctor found a polyp and removed it and the pain was unbearable. The doctor here in Toronto is a good doctor but I have no idea why he would not sedate me. Maybe another doctor reading this can give an opinion. I have had five previous abdominal procedures including two C-sections, an appendectomy and a gall bladder operation.

Comment from: mchaves, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

I had a Colonoscopy a few hours ago. Fortunately, it turned out to be diverticulosis and nothing more severe. The prep is by far the least pleasant part of this process, given the amount of clear liquids and water needed to consume, numerous laxative-induced trips to the toilet, and a bit of hunger due to the lack of solid foods. The procedure was not painful at all. I was sedated enough that I could not recall anything past entering the OR. Before I knew it, I was in the recovery room waking up to a friendly staff of nurses. I would do it again without hesitation if needed.

Comment from: Cath, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had my first colonoscopy 2 days ago. I chose to do it without sedation. The doctor wasn't happy, but we agreed that they would put in a port, and if I was in distress they would knock me out. There was some pain but I did some deep breathing and it passed quickly. Honestly, I've had gas pains worse than that. I'm glad I chose not to be sedated because I was in and out in 20 minutes, and was able to resume my normal activities immediately. The most difficult part was not being able to eat seeds or nuts for several days. I had to take Kleen-prep the night before. It tastes lousy, but it's not undrinkable. I had to take one gallon in total and it started acting in 45 minutes. You get the runs but not the urgent kind with the cramping, like you get after you've eaten something that disagreed with you. You know you need to go, so you walk (not run) to the washroom and get it done. Results were good, no polyps and I need to do it again in 5 years. Would rather not have to do it at all for obvious reasons, but it's worth it to know there's nothing untoward going on in there.

Must Read Articles Related to Colonoscopy

Anatomy of the Digestive System
Anatomy of the Digestive System Digestion is the process in which food is broken into smaller pieces so the body can use them to build and nourish cells and provide energy. The digestive syste...learn more >>
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff, Antibiotic Related Colitis)
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff) Clostridium difficile (or C. difficile, C. diff) colitis is an infection of the colon. C. diff infection is most commonly associated with antibiotic use. Anothe...learn more >>
Colitis
Colitis Colitis is an inflammation of the colon. There are many cause of colitis, infectious colitis (bacterial or viral), ischemic colitis, inflammatory bowel disease ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy:

Colonoscopy - Procedure

How did you prepare for your colonoscopy procedure?