Viewer Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy:

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a colonoscopy.

Comment from: CactusGal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

The prep was tolerable; just stay near a toilet. I was given Versed and Fentanyl but not enough of either. It was a miserable procedure and frightening because I was between awake and sedated. If I ever do this again which is unlikely, it will be under general anesthesia. I have since learned that if you have ever had problems with anesthesia working well enough, you need to have an anesthesiology consult prior.

Comment from: Robert, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

Being well read upon what a colonoscopy is all about and the risks involve, I decided to go through with it. The laxatives cleaned me out well and I looked toward having the colonoscopy as a new adventure. The sedation knocked me out. Being free of colorectal cancer meant that I won. I'll repeat this race again.

I have regular colonoscopies, and I have had no problems with any of them. The first time especially, my bowel was very badly damaged, but I didn't experience any discomfort. I was given a sedative, which is not the same as a full anesthetic, but it still puts me out completely. The doctor always waits until I'm completely out before starting the procedure. Like a lot of people I always find the preparation the worst part. Drinking the electrolyte solution is not very pleasant, but it works quickly, and the less you eat during the day, the easier the "clean out" of the bowel will be. I was very scared going in the first time, but I'm glad I went because once I did it the first time, every time after that was easy. Most importantly, the test saved my life, so even if you're worried, remember that you're doing it for your own sake.

I did a colonoscopy examination two days ago. If anyone has worries about doing it, forget it. I would do it again tomorrow. The only problem I had was the diet three days before. No fruits. No vegetables.

Comment from: firstimer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

I had a colonoscopy done today. I was on this site yesterday reading some of the comments. I was a little apprehensive at first, and when I arrived I asked the nurse if I was going to be completely sedated. Her response was yes. I said, “Good or otherwise we won't be doing it today.” The anesthesiologist, put me right to sleep when I woke up the procedure was done. No pain except for gas, and once it passed 10 minutes later, and later I felt better. If you have to have one done, get completely sedated.

Comment from: dimples565, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have had two colonoscopies. The first one was traumatically painful. The medication they used did nothing to help me relax. I had six large polyps, of which one was bleeding. Feeling that thing jammed in and out of me six times, I screamed each time it went in. It is the most painful test I have ever been through. Polyps are genetic so you can't just ignore them because they can turn into cancer. If you have a horrible experience like I did, change doctors.

Comment from: nkearn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

As a colon cancer patient in remission for 20 years I can honestly tell you that it is NOT a bad experience. If it is your first time, yes, it is scary. Don't worry the test is over before you know it. The only thing I do not like about the test is the drink to clear your colon. I have found that diluting with Crystal Light helps. Also slice lemons and suck after taking each glass. The drink does not bother many people. My youngest son had it done (40 yrs old) and he did not have a problem with the drink or test. Take yourself to a happy place and be positive. This is not a bad experience.

Comment from: traceyanne19, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

DON'T DO IT!!,,The ''procedure'' STARTS with a doctor who is quite happy to LIE to you-(NOT a great basis for Doctor patient trust)as you WILL be told that this procedure cannot be done under a full anesthetic as this will increase the risk of the doctor accidentally puncturing your bowel. However, he will happily continue to poke the equivalent of 5ft of garden hose up your rectum whilst you are in a ''vegetative state' and won't remember most of it (allegedly). His argument being that 'you can tell the staff when you're in pain.' This massive contradiction should ring alarm bells, as in this anesthetized state (the hospital's words) when, exactly, is one supposed to yell, “STOP!”?

Comment from: claychps, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

Just got back from my colonoscopy. I have to say that it went better than I expected. The prep went well. I took the solution through a straw which seemed to help along with the lemon-lime flavor pack. At the surgery center, the staff was very friendly, knowledgeable and made me feel very comfortable. I was put under very quickly, woke up without any weird feelings and ate right afterword. I encourage everyone 50+ to get this procedure. It will give you a great piece of mind.

Must Read Articles Related to Colonoscopy

Anatomy of the Digestive System
Anatomy of the Digestive System Digestion is the process in which food is broken into smaller pieces so the body can use them to build and nourish cells and provide energy. The digestive syste...learn more >>
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff, Antibiotic Related Colitis)
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff) Clostridium difficile (or C. difficile, C. diff) colitis is an infection of the colon. C. diff infection is most commonly associated with antibiotic use. Anothe...learn more >>
Colitis
Colitis Colitis is an inflammation of the colon. There are many cause of colitis, infectious colitis (bacterial or viral), ischemic colitis, inflammatory bowel disease ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy:

Colonoscopy - Procedure

How did you prepare for your colonoscopy procedure?