Viewer Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy:

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a colonoscopy.

Comment from: ladybug, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

Just had a second colonoscopy done and it was no issue. I don't remember anything after they gave me the meds until I was back in my spot in the recovery room. The worst part was drinking the prep, which I managed to get down with a large 7-Up chaser. I'm good for another 10 years and I won't hesitate to have another one done when the time comes.

Comment from: Colonoscopy=Scary, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I had a colonoscopy a few weeks back it was the most horrific thing I have experienced. It was so uncomfortable and I thought the endoscope was going to perforate my bowel. It was so painful the surgeon had to stop the procedure.

Comment from: suze, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I've had two colonoscopies, going for a third, and had two or three sigmoidoscopies. There is No pain with a colonoscopy at all. You are given something and don't even realize you're asleep. When I asked the nurse when they were going to start she laughed. It was all over. I went home and ate and felt wonderful. Sigmoidoscopies are done in the office without sedation because it's only the lower colon they examine. A little cramping but no pain. Over very quickly and you go home or work or wherever. The worst part of all of this is the prep you have to do, drinking the awful stuff to clean you out. I don't like needles so the IV they give for the colonoscopy is hard for me but after that it's a piece of cake and you are glad you did it.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

Just had my colonoscopy (and endoscopy) In Jan 2010. No problems at all!! The cleaning out process was not bad. Went to the outpatient surgery center, kept telling everyone not to kill me from sedative nor let me wake up gagging with tubes...ha ha. They used propotol and I knew nothing!!! Was done and home before lunch, now I am cleared for 10 years!!

For me the worst part of the colonoscopy experience was the sedation. No one explained it isn't given just to help the patient relax, it is given to make the patient immobile, and to have amnesia. I remember maybe 10 seconds of being in intense pain, thrashing about, and then a "veil" of blackness coming over me. I had nightmares, anxiety, and depression for months afterward. Maybe the subconscious mind remembers a traumatic experience even if the conscious mind doesn't?

Must Read Articles Related to Colonoscopy

Anatomy of the Digestive System
Anatomy of the Digestive System Digestion is the process in which food is broken into smaller pieces so the body can use them to build and nourish cells and provide energy. The digestive syste...learn more >>
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff, Antibiotic Related Colitis)
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff) Clostridium difficile (or C. difficile, C. diff) colitis is an infection of the colon. C. diff infection is most commonly associated with antibiotic use. Anothe...learn more >>
Colitis
Colitis Colitis is an inflammation of the colon. There are many cause of colitis, infectious colitis (bacterial or viral), ischemic colitis, inflammatory bowel disease ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy:

Colonoscopy - Procedure

How did you prepare for your colonoscopy procedure?