Viewer Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy:

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a colonoscopy.

Comment from: mchaves, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

I had a Colonoscopy a few hours ago. Fortunately, it turned out to be diverticulosis and nothing more severe. The prep is by far the least pleasant part of this process, given the amount of clear liquids and water needed to consume, numerous laxative-induced trips to the toilet, and a bit of hunger due to the lack of solid foods. The procedure was not painful at all. I was sedated enough that I could not recall anything past entering the OR. Before I knew it, I was in the recovery room waking up to a friendly staff of nurses. I would do it again without hesitation if needed.

Comment from: Cath, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I had my first colonoscopy 2 days ago. I chose to do it without sedation. The doctor wasn't happy, but we agreed that they would put in a port, and if I was in distress they would knock me out. There was some pain but I did some deep breathing and it passed quickly. Honestly, I've had gas pains worse than that. I'm glad I chose not to be sedated because I was in and out in 20 minutes, and was able to resume my normal activities immediately. The most difficult part was not being able to eat seeds or nuts for several days. I had to take Kleen-prep the night before. It tastes lousy, but it's not undrinkable. I had to take one gallon in total and it started acting in 45 minutes. You get the runs but not the urgent kind with the cramping, like you get after you've eaten something that disagreed with you. You know you need to go, so you walk (not run) to the washroom and get it done. Results were good, no polyps and I need to do it again in 5 years. Would rather not have to do it at all for obvious reasons, but it's worth it to know there's nothing untoward going on in there.

Comment from: CactusGal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

The prep was tolerable; just stay near a toilet. I was given Versed and Fentanyl but not enough of either. It was a miserable procedure and frightening because I was between awake and sedated. If I ever do this again which is unlikely, it will be under general anesthesia. I have since learned that if you have ever had problems with anesthesia working well enough, you need to have an anesthesiology consult prior.

Comment from: Robert, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 03

Being well read upon what a colonoscopy is all about and the risks involve, I decided to go through with it. The laxatives cleaned me out well and I looked toward having the colonoscopy as a new adventure. The sedation knocked me out. Being free of colorectal cancer meant that I won. I'll repeat this race again.

I have regular colonoscopies, and I have had no problems with any of them. The first time especially, my bowel was very badly damaged, but I didn't experience any discomfort. I was given a sedative, which is not the same as a full anesthetic, but it still puts me out completely. The doctor always waits until I'm completely out before starting the procedure. Like a lot of people I always find the preparation the worst part. Drinking the electrolyte solution is not very pleasant, but it works quickly, and the less you eat during the day, the easier the "clean out" of the bowel will be. I was very scared going in the first time, but I'm glad I went because once I did it the first time, every time after that was easy. Most importantly, the test saved my life, so even if you're worried, remember that you're doing it for your own sake.

I did a colonoscopy examination two days ago. If anyone has worries about doing it, forget it. I would do it again tomorrow. The only problem I had was the diet three days before. No fruits. No vegetables.

Comment from: firstimer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

I had a colonoscopy done today. I was on this site yesterday reading some of the comments. I was a little apprehensive at first, and when I arrived I asked the nurse if I was going to be completely sedated. Her response was yes. I said, “Good or otherwise we won't be doing it today.” The anesthesiologist, put me right to sleep when I woke up the procedure was done. No pain except for gas, and once it passed 10 minutes later, and later I felt better. If you have to have one done, get completely sedated.

Comment from: dimples565, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I have had two colonoscopies. The first one was traumatically painful. The medication they used did nothing to help me relax. I had six large polyps, of which one was bleeding. Feeling that thing jammed in and out of me six times, I screamed each time it went in. It is the most painful test I have ever been through. Polyps are genetic so you can't just ignore them because they can turn into cancer. If you have a horrible experience like I did, change doctors.

Comment from: nkearn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

As a colon cancer patient in remission for 20 years I can honestly tell you that it is NOT a bad experience. If it is your first time, yes, it is scary. Don't worry the test is over before you know it. The only thing I do not like about the test is the drink to clear your colon. I have found that diluting with Crystal Light helps. Also slice lemons and suck after taking each glass. The drink does not bother many people. My youngest son had it done (40 yrs old) and he did not have a problem with the drink or test. Take yourself to a happy place and be positive. This is not a bad experience.

Must Read Articles Related to Colonoscopy

Anatomy of the Digestive System
Anatomy of the Digestive System Digestion is the process in which food is broken into smaller pieces so the body can use them to build and nourish cells and provide energy. The digestive syste...learn more >>
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff, Antibiotic Related Colitis)
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff) Clostridium difficile (or C. difficile, C. diff) colitis is an infection of the colon. C. diff infection is most commonly associated with antibiotic use. Anothe...learn more >>
Colitis
Colitis Colitis is an inflammation of the colon. There are many cause of colitis, infectious colitis (bacterial or viral), ischemic colitis, learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy:

Colonoscopy - Procedure

How did you prepare for your colonoscopy procedure?