Viewer Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy:

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a colonoscopy.

Comment from: PixLPixie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

Well, I had the split preparation and then a colonoscopy. The preparation was not bad at all, not bad tasting at all; the Gatorade and Pedialyte tasted worse, too sweet. I was totally clear at the end of it. I slept as soon as the drugs went in, Fentanyl and Versed, then lucky enough to wake up to watch the screen and see the labyrinth that is my large bowel. Great. Then back to sleep. I just have to say that this test is so important. Don't be put off by the fear of preparation that may taste bad or opinions of others; form your own opinion.

Comment from: Ct, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

My first colonoscopy was done today. I am glad it is over but it was not terrible. The preparation by far was the hardest. The clinic I went to uses Colyte and was consumed in 2.2 l doses. Mouthwash after each drink seemed to work the best. I tried tea, peppermint lifesavers and plain water as well. I think it is best to follow the diet beforehand, the laxatives were not so hard on my body. This morning I was there by 7 am. I chose to do it without the sedatives as they make me feel so sick. They took my blood pressure and hooked up an IV and oxygen in the event that at some point the pain got unbearable. The doctor started the procedure and twice I had to tell them I had pain. The nurse directed me to take some deep breaths and she applied pressure on my stomach twice and then I was told 'they reached the destination.' I was alert and saw the scope and watched one polyp being removed, total time start to finish less than 15 minutes. They wheeled me back to recovery and two quick checks of my blood pressure a quick stop in the bathroom to assess bleeding and I was on my way. I know that this is not that easy for all people, all the time, but I think that doing it without the drugs makes the rest of the day following easier to deal with. It is important for us to monitor our colon and I now have a baseline going forward.

Comment from: Vonney, (Patient) Published: April 08

I had my colonoscopy yesterday. It was the most painful experience I have ever gone through. I would much rather go through a bone marrow biopsy again which was slightly painful but nothing like this. I shouted for the doctor to stop but they just kept pushing gas and air into me. I was writhing around the table trying to get away from him because he wouldn't stop. I have painful joints and bones and have been left in so much pain where I was hanging onto the arm rails in pain. I am trying to gather information from people for whom this has been painful to take this further to try and stop people having to feel this much pain whilst they are having it done.

Comment from: patientx, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I am high risk for colon cancer and I actually wanted to get a colonoscopy done since I believe that it's a good test and quite safe. The one part of the colonoscopy that is a huge variable is the sedation. At one extreme patients are given the amnesia drug Versed and most are awake, sometimes with terrific pain but because of the amnesia from Versed they (temporarily) think that they were asleep. Then they get home and the nightmare memories start as well as long-term memory loss in a lot of cases. I'm a nurse and one of our doctors got her colonoscopy with Versed (I was her driver) and she was literally screaming during the colonoscopy; he still has memory loss form the Versed. I was advised to have an anesthesiologist administer propofol and I scheduled the exam and received a letter stating that an anesthesiologist would indeed be performing my case. I did the prep and report only to be told that the promised anesthesiologist was actually a CRNA certified registered nurse anesthetists), a nurse with anesthetist training but not an anesthesiologist by a long shot. The CRNA tells me that she's just as qualified as an anesthesiologist and the gastroenterologist tells her that she's a nurse not an anesthesiologist. I decide at this point to skip any drugs and the CRNA demands to 'stand by' since she was called in for my case and wants to get paid, and she insists that I sign a consent for anesthesia! Needless to say that the gastroenterologist sent the CRNA packing; but by this time I was in no shape for the exam and I left. The gastroenterologist was mortified and assured me that she would schedule a real anesthesiologist for my repeat exam but I will not go back. I wonder how many patients are promised an anesthesiologist only to get a nurse. I wanted a colonoscopy, but would now rather risk cancer than to trust such a dishonest system.

Comment from: Sarah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

My PCP insisted that I get a colonoscopy. Everything before the test went well including the prep. I told them that I (as well as many patients) have a horrible experience with Versed (terrible long-lasting disorientation, memory loss, which is much greater that the promised 'amnesia' and profound dysphoria that lasted for many days). I was promised that I would not be given Versed but they gave it to me anyway. The reaction was so bad that the colonoscopy was not done.

Comment from: cat woman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I had a very positive experience and believe me, I procrastinated for a year because I was so fearful of the procedure. I had an initial consultation with my doctor a few weeks before the procedure, and I thought he and his office staff were very caring. That helped calm me somewhat. I was told to drink 3 bottles of magnesium citrate over several hours the day before and it was very easy to tolerate. I was also given a recommended liquid diet to follow. I drank a lot of water, ate some jello and had some chicken broth. I was so bloated that I really didn't want much and I was anything but hungry! I would recommend getting an ointment because my bum did get sore. Make sure to drink more water than you think you need because even though I drank plenty, I woke up very thirsty. You won't be able to eat or drink the day of the procedure. Once I was taken into the operating room I was given medication before the procedure began and I think I slept through the whole thing! I only remember the events before receiving drugs. All in all, people have different experiences and concerns so you should meet the doctor first. If you don't like him/her than go to someone else who you feel will take good care of you!

Must Read Articles Related to Colonoscopy

Anatomy of the Digestive System
Anatomy of the Digestive System Digestion is the process in which food is broken into smaller pieces so the body can use them to build and nourish cells and provide energy. The digestive syste...learn more >>
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff, Antibiotic Related Colitis)
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff) Clostridium difficile (or C. difficile, C. diff) colitis is an infection of the colon. C. diff infection is most commonly associated with antibiotic use. Anothe...learn more >>
Colitis Colitis is an inflammation of the colon. There are many cause of colitis, infectious colitis (bacterial or viral), ischemic colitis, learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy:

Colonoscopy - Procedure

How did you prepare for your colonoscopy procedure?