Viewer Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy:

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a colonoscopy.

...
Comment from: netnana01, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 18

I just had my first colonoscopy today. It was so much easier than I had imagined. With everyone saying the preparation the day before was the worst, I decided to try to make things as easy on myself as possible. Saturday and Sunday I ate only soft foods and no meats. Monday through Wednesday, I had only clear liquids. I mixed my GoLytely with lemon flavoring and one pack of lemonade drink mix. To my surprise, it wasn't so bad. I started drinking it about noon on Wednesday and was clear by 3. I went in today and during the procedure was given Demerol and Versed. I remember seeing the monitor of the colonoscopy a few times but absolutely no pain. Thirty minutes later I was headed home feeling just a little tired but otherwise, totally fine. I won't be afraid of any future ones.

Comment from: Cyuga, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

I just had my first colonoscopy and endoscopy today. It was nothing at all. The staff were super nice and my doctor was the best. I did the Gatorade Miralax preparation and it was so easy. No nasty taste and no nausea. Don't be afraid, it's just no big deal.

Comment from: JoB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

Rest assured this colonoscopy test is not painful. Take the drugs they offer during the test and you really won't feel any pain or embarrassment. It is very short and everyone is there to help you. Do not believe the horror stories! The worst part is drinking the preparation. I did the 2 part Suprep. First part at 6 pm followed by a quart of water and the second part (same quantities) at 4 AM because my test was at 8 AM. Getting that all down while feeling slightly nauseous was a bit tough. I added some mint leaves to the water and it did help. The gut cleansing was a bit messy. I suggest super soft tissue with aloe followed by some soothing vitamin E oil or aloe. That helped my skin from feeling raw. The test was over and done, clean bill of health! Beats what my sister is going through with stage 4 colon cancer! Do this thing!

Comment from: daniel, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

Colonoscopy preparation is quite hard not being able to eat, and drinking clear fluids only. Laxative drink is like drinking sherbet not bad really. Lying there exposed on the table makes you feel vulnerable, though the nurses and doctor were absolutely fantastic. Relaxation drug and bit of oxygen, and I didn't feel a thing, absolutely painless. Follow the preparation properly and you shouldn't have any problems, don't listen to the horror stories.

Comment from: ddancer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I had an attempted colonoscopy 2 weeks ago. The doctor could not continue as I was in excruciating pain. My colon wouldn't allow the scope to go round a bend although he kept trying to push. I had no sedative. I still have a lot of pain and some bleeding; not happy.

Comment from: dimmy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 08

I had a colonoscopy which went well but I did have 4 small sessile polyps removed from the bowel wall. However only 3 of the polyps were sucked out and extracted. The 4th small polyp (2 mm) was 'lost' after removal from the bowel wall, and stayed in the bowel. The consultant said there was nothing to worry about as the lost polyp was healthy and young looking (it wasn`t there 2 years ago at my last colonoscopy). The doctor said the 'lost' polyp would pass through and exit my body naturally at a bowel movement.

Comment from: Tricia, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I had a colonoscopy and endoscopic investigations yesterday at the hospital. I had a terrible experience. I was promised sedation as I had the endoscope down about 18 months ago and said I wouldn't have it done again without sedation. I was treated like a piece of meat in a butchers shop, they roughly put a cannula in my hand (which has left a huge lump in my vein) then shoved the camera down my throat with no sedation. I was crying with pain and gagging. I was then given a so called pain killer in the cannula, which did nothing, again no sedation and they could only go about 12 inches and I was screaming in agony and refused to let them continue. I felt like they were ripping my insides out. This whole experience has left me traumatized and would never have these procedures again at any cost whilst I am awake.

Comment from: J, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had a colonoscopy 8 years ago. I remember saying ouch, and then waking up in my room. I had another one two days ago, felt everything, and had to ask the doctor to stop, really painful. The doctor said he gave me 2 does of sedation, I was standing talking to him he said there was no way I should be standing, let alone dressed and ready to go home. He said he would book me in to have a MRI to scan what he could not finish. After reading all about it, no way! I had stomach ache since.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Colonoscopy

Anatomy of the Digestive System
Anatomy of the Digestive System Digestion is the process in which food is broken into smaller pieces so the body can use them to build and nourish cells and provide energy. The learn more >>
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff, Antibiotic Related Colitis)
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff) Clostridium difficile (or C. difficile, C. diff) coli...learn more >>
Colitis (Symptoms, Types, and Treatments)
Colitis Colitis is an inflammation of the colon. There are many cause of colitis, infectious colitis (bacterial or viral), ischemic colitis, learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy:

Colonoscopy - Procedure

How did you prepare for your colonoscopy procedure?