Viewer Comments: Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy:

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a colonoscopy.

...
Comment from: cat woman, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I had a very positive experience and believe me, I procrastinated for a year because I was so fearful of the procedure. I had an initial consultation with my doctor a few weeks before the procedure, and I thought he and his office staff were very caring. That helped calm me somewhat. I was told to drink 3 bottles of magnesium citrate over several hours the day before and it was very easy to tolerate. I was also given a recommended liquid diet to follow. I drank a lot of water, ate some jello and had some chicken broth. I was so bloated that I really didn't want much and I was anything but hungry! I would recommend getting an ointment because my bum did get sore. Make sure to drink more water than you think you need because even though I drank plenty, I woke up very thirsty. You won't be able to eat or drink the day of the procedure. Once I was taken into the operating room I was given medication before the procedure began and I think I slept through the whole thing! I only remember the events before receiving drugs. All in all, people have different experiences and concerns so you should meet the doctor first. If you don't like him/her than go to someone else who you feel will take good care of you!

Related Reading: magnesium citrate

Comment from: Been there done that, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

The worst part of the whole thing? Fasting for two days with nothing but CalMag and other liquids. The doctor told me it would take about 20 minutes and he would talk to me in an hour. Know what? It did and he did! The best part? He found a couple of polyps, removed them, cauterized the site, and told me I was good until my next "oil change" in another five years. I was apprehensive after hearing all the negative and horrifying stories but the reminder of my father dying of colon cancer within one year of diagnosis pushed me to have it done and I do not regret it for a second. I felt nothing "I saw nothing; I heard nothing" and went home with a relieved mind. I recommend it to anyone who has had relatives diagnosed with colon cancer. Do not let negatives dictate your approach to good health.

Comment from: One time only, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I had my first and what may be my only colonoscopy three weeks ago. Nothing was found except some inflammation but biopsies were taken and I go for my follow-up visit with my surgeon today. This experience was awful, from the prep to the procedure. I have a very high tolerance to most medications and the sedative they gave me wasn't nearly enough to stop the pain. Nor did I have the "amnesia" they told me I would have which would prevent me from remembering the procedure. I was literally gripping the side rail of the gurney and raising myself up. The only good thing about it was the pre-op nurse I was blessed to have. Everything else was total misery.

Comment from: 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 20

I had my third colonoscopy last week. My first test disclosed many polyps, all benign. My second, disclosed fewer polyps all benign. Last week four polyps were found, three benign and one precancerous. As with the others, the prep was the worst thing. The procedure went swiftly with no complications. My next procedure is scheduled three years from now.

Comment from: suds 65, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 23

I just had my second colonoscopy in Halifax Canada. Worst part is definitely getting cleaned out although the prep I was given for the second one was much better than the first, something called "Pico-Salax" that tasted like carbonated orange juice. Worked quickly and thoroughly. I ate until 5pm the day before. Took one packet of this at 7pm and another at 6am the next morning. My procedure was at 10:30, and I was "clean", which makes the process more thorough. I was placed under a very mild sedative and watched the whole procedure on the TV monitor while the two doctors and a nurse worked the tube. It was occasionally uncomfortable (going around corners) but nothing more. Watched as two potentially cancerous polyps were removed. Surreal watching this happen inside you, and then you think of the entry point and your eyebrows go up. Gas pains after.

Comment from: disillusioned, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I had my first colonoscopy today and as with some of the other comments, found it very painful until I was completely sedated. This, despite the fact that I was told prior to the procedure that the bowel has no nerve endings so I shouldn't feel a thing. After waking up in recovery, I was informed that because my heart rate dropped to 33, the doctor did not complete the procedure!(It was 47 prior to the procedure, normal for me as I am in good physical shape). I am supposed to phone for a follow-up in the next two weeks but I am pretty sure I will not undergo this again. I found the pre-op stuff o.k but my procedure was not till about noon so I was pretty hungry having not had anything solid for more than 40 hrs.

I had it done on Friday. The doctor explained the whole procedure. I went because my mom died at age 52 from colon cancer and I was only a little girl when she died. I just wanted to keep focused on the chances of me getting it. He was very kind and the procedure after drinking the nullify was great it was over quickly he talked to me and told me what he was doing.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Colonoscopy

Anatomy of the Digestive System
Anatomy of the Digestive System Digestion is the process in which food is broken into smaller pieces so the body can use them to build and nourish cells and provide energy. The digestive syste...learn more >>
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff, Antibiotic Related Colitis)
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff) Clostridium difficile (or C. difficile, C. diff) colitis is an infection of the colon. C. diff infection is most commonly associated with antibiotic use. Anothe...learn more >>
Colitis
Colitis Colitis is an inflammation of the colon. There are many cause of colitis, infectious colitis (bacterial or viral), ischemic colitis, inflammatory bowel disease ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy:

Colonoscopy - Procedure

How did you prepare for your colonoscopy procedure?