Viewer Comments: Colonoscopy - Procedure

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy:

Colonoscopy - Procedure

How did you prepare for your colonoscopy procedure?

Comment from: supergran, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I went to have my colonoscopy yesterday...like a lamb to the slaughter! I wasn't at all nervous as I know several people who have had this procedure done and they all said that apart from being a little bit uncomfortable, it was no problem. I had followed all the preparation instructions to the letter and laughed and joked with the medical team. Less than five minutes into the procedure, I was definitely NOT laughing. I almost jumped through the ceiling with the pain. Yes, I had received the 'sedation', but it really hadn't touched me at all. The attending nurse pushed the gas and air at me and kept insisting that I breathe it in properly. I really tried to be brave and they restarted the 'probe.' Once again, I cried out in pain and insisted that they stop. Apparently, I have got diverticular disease and the area they were trying to push the scope round was really narrowed and atrophied. On my discharge sheet and report, it stated that the colonoscopy was abandoned because of my 'discomfort!' DISCOMFORT! Well, all I can say is if they describe what I felt as discomfort, how do they describe pain? I'm now being sent for a C.T. scan, so at least the experience wasn't wasted, but NEVER again will I willingly go through that kind of torture without being unconscious first!

Must Read Articles Related to Colonoscopy

Anatomy of the Digestive System
Anatomy of the Digestive System Digestion is the process in which food is broken into smaller pieces so the body can use them to build and nourish cells and provide energy. The digestive syste...learn more >>
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff, Antibiotic Related Colitis)
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff) Clostridium difficile (or C. difficile, C. diff) colitis is an infection of the colon. C. diff infection is most commonly associated with antibiotic use. Anothe...learn more >>
Colitis
Colitis Colitis is an inflammation of the colon. There are many cause of colitis, infectious colitis (bacterial or viral), ischemic colitis, learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy:

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a colonoscopy.