Viewer Comments: Colonoscopy - Procedure

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy:

Colonoscopy - Procedure

How did you prepare for your colonoscopy procedure?

Comment from: nand, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 30

My colonoscopy was pretty miserable. Preparing for it was not much fun but it was tolerable, but the actual procedure was extremely painful. Whatever medicines they gave me to sedate me did just the opposite. The nurse said that I would start to feel sleepy and it was like PING I was wide awake. It hurt so bad that I started crying and asked the doctor to stop. He never spoke to me or slowed down the procedure. He did find a couple polyps so I am glad I did the procedure and now I have to have it done every five years, but I will certainly discuss my concerns with a different doctor before the next colonoscopy.

Comment from: ICURN, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

Prep was Golytely and not an issue. The colonoscopy was terrible, and like most patients, I was given Versed to cause amnesia (I wasn't warned about the amnesia and it was very distressing). I'm still suffering memory loss months later. I was treated roughly because they assumed that I would not remember the colonoscopy. I remember the horrible pain and the smug nurse and doctor laughing that "she won't remember any of this." I sure do remember. I'll never get another sedated test. I'm an ICU nurse with a master's degree.

Comment from: (Patient) Published: March 26

The so-called colonoscopy "sedation" is anything but sedation. The fun really starts when you get home.

Comment from: Penny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I had my 3rd colonoscopy yesterday at our local hospital day surgery unit. I'm afraid to say it turned out to be the most traumatic experience of my life and it has put me off having anymore colonoscopies! I was given the sedative Versed with Demerol (told by the nurses) and I remember as soon as it was administered I drifted to sleep only to end up in excruciating pain for what seemed like a couple of minutes. It felt like my insides were being ripped out! I remember screaming out but don't remember what was said to me, only that it was harrowingly painful! I then fell back into oblivion and woke up in recovery only to be told I had been hysterical. There was no sympathy at all showed to me. At first I was upset at myself for screaming out in pain but then I felt it was the doctor's fault not mine for being subjected to that excruciating painful experience. I feel I wasn't given enough sedation or, the wrong type of sedation. Needless to say I am petrified of having another colonoscopy.

Comment from: supergran, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I went to have my colonoscopy yesterday...like a lamb to the slaughter! I wasn't at all nervous as I know several people who have had this procedure done and they all said that apart from being a little bit uncomfortable, it was no problem. I had followed all the preparation instructions to the letter and laughed and joked with the medical team. Less than five minutes into the procedure, I was definitely NOT laughing. I almost jumped through the ceiling with the pain. Yes, I had received the 'sedation', but it really hadn't touched me at all. The attending nurse pushed the gas and air at me and kept insisting that I breathe it in properly. I really tried to be brave and they restarted the 'probe.' Once again, I cried out in pain and insisted that they stop. Apparently, I have got diverticular disease and the area they were trying to push the scope round was really narrowed and atrophied. On my discharge sheet and report, it stated that the colonoscopy was abandoned because of my 'discomfort!' DISCOMFORT! Well, all I can say is if they describe what I felt as discomfort, how do they describe pain? I'm now being sent for a C.T. scan, so at least the experience wasn't wasted, but NEVER again will I willingly go through that kind of torture without being unconscious first!

Must Read Articles Related to Colonoscopy

Anatomy of the Digestive System
Anatomy of the Digestive System Digestion is the process in which food is broken into smaller pieces so the body can use them to build and nourish cells and provide energy. The digestive syste...learn more >>
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff, Antibiotic Related Colitis)
Clostridium Difficile (C. difficile, C. diff) Clostridium difficile (or C. difficile, C. diff) colitis is an infection of the colon. C. diff infection is most commonly associated with antibiotic use. Anothe...learn more >>
Colitis
Colitis Colitis is an inflammation of the colon. There are many cause of colitis, infectious colitis (bacterial or viral), ischemic colitis, inflammatory bowel disease ...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Colonoscopy:

Colonoscopy - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a colonoscopy.