Viewer Comments: Concussion - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Concussion:

Concussion - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your concussion?

Comment from: Angel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I was in a car accident 7yrs ago. I only remember the impact. The next thing I know I was out of the car walking around, I had the worse headache ever. It consumed my whole head. I still do not know if I was unconscious. I went to the ER and was sent home. I began vomiting and my headache became worse. Went back to the ER and was told that I had a concussion. I have never been sent to a concussion treatment center. I have days that I don't remember. I have driven places and not remembered. I have had conversations with people that I don't remember. Noise irritates me more than it did before the accident and if I do not take a sleeping pill, I don't sleep...at all. It seems that my temper is also short. I have 2 children that I have not been able to enjoy. If you suffer from any of these symptoms, please seek help. Do not let it continue on the way that I have. I thought I was "losing my mind" or "going crazy", but this is real. Get help as soon as possible. Get 2nd and 3rd opinions if necessary.

Comment from: Alicia, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I had a really stupid fall yesterday when I slipped on a floor I had just mopped with water. I took most of the impact on my chin and my teeth knocked together. Luckily, I didn't lose any teeth but I was terrified and disoriented. I felt dizzy, nauseated and my vision had something similar to a flashing "camouflage" pattern. I stumbled over to my father who sat me down on a chair with my head resting on my hands. After doing that for awhile and drinking some water my vision started to clear but I was near hysterical, laughing and crying at the same time. That mood lasted for a couple hours but I recovered fully after everything cleared up. I have a rather large bump on my chin though.

Comment from: Ashley, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: December 09

I fell two days ago and hit the back of my head very hard. More than 24 hours passed and nothing happened. Yesterday, during school, my vision went completely black and I apparently fell (asking my friends). I could hear everything but couldn't see. The day I came home (same day), I started to get a headache and I felt slightly nauseated, and I was very tired too. Today, I apparently asked my mother a question I had already asked. She is considering taking me to a doctor.

Comment from: julie, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 07

My six-year-old just slipped and hit the back of her head on the cement walk. She cried for 15 minutes, felt a bit dizzy, and now she is sleeping and holding the front of her head. Her eyes were dilated when we moved through the light in the room. I have heard that we should not let children sleep after hitting their heads because they could lapse into a coma. I'm thinking I should call the doctor while she's asleep.

Comment from: mtjones_83642, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

I was told I had a concussion on December 8th 2009 where I was in a major car accident. I was out of work for two weeks and went back to work for a day and a half. I began to suffer from stroke like symptoms, blurred vision, my left side went limp, my blood pressure was 188 over 122 (I'm 26), and I was extremely disorientated. My doctor put me on multiple prescriptions where I pretty much turned into a zombie. It is now February 10th 2010 and I'm still missing work due to headaches, cold sweats, and the shakes. I hope I get better soon. My headaches are extremely painful and I still have short term memory issues. My symptoms were headache, lost consciousness, nausea, and dizziness.

Comment from: Marmalade, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: December 14

My husband had a dream and jumped out of bed, probably getting his feet tangled in the covers, and he fell, hitting his head on the thick carpet. He rolled as he fell and promptly got up. I examined his eyes and had him talk to me, describing what happened, and he was surprised, but coherent. I cleaned and bandaged the "rug burn" injury on his forehead and put an ice pack on it. He went back to bed and later fell asleep. When he woke up in an hour or so, he said he had aching muscles in his neck and shoulders and that his forehead was sore. I gave him Ibuprofen for the pain and kept ice on his forehead frequently. The next day, he had very ugly black eyes that grew worse all day. There was no pain from this, but his swollen eyelid on one eye caused a bit of narrowed vision.

Must Read Articles Related to Concussion

Bruises
Bruises A bruise is a common skin injury that results in a discoloration of the skin. Symptoms and signs include pain and discolored skin. Applying a cold compress may ...learn more >>
Cuts or Lacerations
Cuts or Lacerations A cut refers to a skin wound with separation of the connective tissue elements. Unlike an abrasion (a wound caused by friction or scraping), none of the skin is...learn more >>
Dementia in Head Injury
Dementia in Head Injury Head injury occurs when an outside force hits the head hard enough to cause the brain to move violently within the skull. This force can cause shaking, twisting...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Concussion:

Concussion - Recovery

Did you have any residual effects from your concussion?

Concussion - Experience

Please describe your experience with concussion.

Concussion - Medical Treatment

What was the treatment for your concussion?